This is why I write

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Just got this comment on my Liberator Elite article:

Thank you thank you thank you. I’m a guitar tech in Portland, OR and a client just brought me a Liberator Elite. First thing I noticed was that neck angle!!! And the electronics are a bit iffy but thanks to this amazing write-up, I know what they should do. Thanks again!

That made my freaking day.

I make zero dollars on my blog because I detest advertising and refuse to have ads. The fact that even one person found my stuff meaningful or useful just makes it all worth while.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Well, for whatever it's worth (and that likely isn't a whole lot) I can say I enjoy your write ups a lot. It gives me a very good sense of what a guitar might be all about, especially if it's one I've never played and know little about. I hope you keep it up!!!!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Great Job GAD! I think we all enjoy your write ups on one level or another. Awesome thing you do configuring and posting all the technical diagrams that you do. That is information that will be used as reference by many for years and years to come.

TX

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I always enjoy your articles; even when they're about a guitar I have no interest in, like the aforementioned Liberator.
I usually learn something, too.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I like them because they are funny.

At a time when we could use a little levity.

You must be talk about the parts where I say nice things about Grot. :highly_amused:

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Yup, I enjoy the writeups a lot too. Gotta admit, though, the entire piece on the Liberator made me laugh. As does the guitar itself. (Probably 'cuz I have a thing for '60s Japanese wacky-tacky designs and melted, blob-y, stoned '70s weirdness as opposed to the sharper and more angular '80s stuff.) At least it's not an X-79, though. :peaceful:

-Dave-

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yup, I enjoy the writeups a lot too. Gotta admit, though, the entire piece on the Liberator made me laugh. As does the guitar itself. (Probably 'cuz I have a thing for '60s Japanese wacky-tacky designs and melted, blob-y, stoned '70s weirdness as opposed to the sharper and more angular '80s stuff.) At least it's not an X-79, though. :peaceful:

-Dave-

Don't worry - the X-79 is coming. :)

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
That's pretty cool that the guy send you that - nice!

walrus

Black Rooster

Reaction score
I had learned alot from your blog GAD it help me when i bought my first Guild 🙂 and can understand why so much people like it!! so again...many thanks

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
GAD, I am really surprised at this point that Guild or CMG hasn't approached you yet to do credible 3rd party reviews and wiring diagrams for their Newark Street Electric Guilds. It would mean a lot more to the consumer in my opinion to hear an unbiased and honest review of a guitar I am interested in from someone besides the company that is selling it. Just an idea of course.

TX

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
GAD, I am really surprised at this point that Guild or CMG hasn't approached you yet to do credible 3rd party reviews and wiring diagrams for their Newark Street Electric Guilds. It would mean a lot more to the consumer in my opinion to hear an unbiased and honest review of a guitar I am interested in from someone besides the company that is selling it. Just an idea of course.

TX

I've sent them stuff a couple of times and never hear a word. Maybe you should all assault them with suggestions. :)

Zelja

Reaction score
Great Job GAD! I think we all enjoy your write ups on one level or another. Awesome thing you do configuring and posting all the technical diagrams that you do. That is information that will be used as reference by many for years and years to come.

TX
Agree with all the others in enjoying your blog and with the point TX makes here about being a very useful for reference for years to come. Good job GAD.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I like them, and I don't like them.

They are cool because I learn about guitars I have never had and are generally more in depth about the stuff I want to know than many short magazine "reviews". They have nice pictures too, all from a tiny space in front of a closet !

But.... They make me covet things. These things cost money. My guitar rack already overfloweth. I need more reviews of things I won't want.

Tom West

Reaction score
What little I know about Guild Electric Guitars is what I read in your articles and reviews.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thank for all the praise!

I try to provide something different and useful. When it comes to history and details about why things happened at Guild, not to mention the depth and breadth of knowledge all around, no one can touch Hans and as I've said many times, I wouldn't know half the stuff I do about Guilds without his help and guidance.

I know from experience how hard it can be to find technical information about old guitars, so I figured finding samples with the electronics undisturbed would allow me to document what I find and hopefully help people who want to maybe restore a Guild to how it once was or in the case of the email I received about the Liberator Elite, fix something in a pretty complex guitar when original schematics can't be found online. Plus I get to buy them, play with them, then sell them or keep the really nice ones for myself. :)

I may have to take a break from writing them for a couple of months as I have a huge book deadline looming. We'll see what happens.