DeArmond vs. Guild Starfire...My experience

naveed211

Reaction score
I'll state right away this isn't a totally apples-to-apples type comparison.

I've owned a few Starfire III's in the past, a black '97 Westerly and a '13 red Korean. After some time just down to one electric, a couple weeks ago there was a black DeArmond Starfire III at a local shop and I fell in love right away, so I bought it.

Yesterday, I took it amp shopping to a different store (probably going to go with a Princeton Reverb, fyi). After playing for a while, I turned around and there was a 90's Westerly Starfire II in natural hanging on the wall in the amp room. That natural flame has always been my dream color. So, I decided to shoot them out.

Of course, the Guild had the harp tailpiece and the wood bridge, where my DeArmond has the Bigsby and tune-o-matic bridge. The DeArmond has the DeArmond 2k pickups, where the Guild had the typical Guild humbuckers (HB-1's?). The DeArmond has a center block and I believe the Guild is fully hollow. I'm not positive, but I think there may be some mahogany on the DeArmond, where the Guild was maple-bodied.

That out of the way, in my experience, neither guitar was better than the other, just different. The Guild was waaaay lighter and much more airy. Much sweeter sounding and more chimey. I had to turn the treble down on the amp for the Guild as it was pretty bright. The DeArmond has quite a bit of chime as well, but not to the degree of the Guild. Where the DeArmond shined was in the midrange, and to me seemed to be more versatile for my tastes. It still has clarity though maybe again not quite the same as the Guild, but the extra midrange push and girth to the tone helped the amp break up in a very pleasing way.

I much prefer the neck of the DeArmond, which I wasn't expecting. The DeArmond has more chunk to it, and felt more comfortable for me to play. The Guild felt more like a vintage Guild neck I had played previously which was quite thin. I've had Bigsbys on a few guitars and never really used them, but I really messed around with it on my DeArmond when playing through that Princeton Reverb and it sounded fantastic and stayed in tune. In this case, I felt the Bigsby was a feature I wanted to have. I actually felt the DeArmond stayed in tune better than that Guild, too.

When I first saw the Guild hanging on the wall, my heart dropped and I thought I was going to trade in the DeArmond right then and there and walk out with that Guild. But after playing the two back-to-back, there was enough to like for my tastes to keep the DeArmond. Tastes will vary, but I'll use the difference in cash and take home the amp instead.

matsickma

Reaction score
The first DeArmond I bought during "the blowout" was a Starfire Special with DeA 2k pickups and the DeA bigsby. I still own it today albeit with a set of Franz pups installed.
As you say a totally different guitar than the SF3. It would be closer to a Guild SF5 because of body thickness, solid block and bigsby.
I owned all of the DeArmonds, and multiple copies, and liked the SF Special the most. Actually I am always keeping an eye out for a deal on one!
BTW the DeA Starfires were all made of maple along with the T400, X135, 145 & 155 and SF Bass.

M

naveed211

Reaction score
Yes, I suppose the technical name for it would be starfire special. Good to know about the maple construction, thanks for the info. It is a really good guitar.

naveed211

Reaction score
I'll also mention of the 5 or 6 Guilds I've played from every decade but the 80s, they've all varied in weight. A 70s one I played recently was considerably heavier than the similarly appointed 90s one I played yesterday. The black 97 I had was also heavier than the similarly appointed 13 and about as heavy as my DeArmond. The 90s I played yesterday was very similar to a 60s one I had played as they were both very light and delicate in tone. I thought the DeArmond may have been more "overbuilt," but remembering my other playing experiences I can't say that unequivocally.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Your Dearmond will definitely be heavier than the 97 model Westerly built SFII as those models and all American made SFII's/SFIII's from any period are all full hollow and always have been. The reasoning behind that "Mid Boosted" tone you are really digging from those Dearmond 2k pickups is that they were designed with the same style Magnet setup as a Real P90. They are pretty much a P90 stuffed into a pickup that resembles the original Dearmond 2000's from the 60's. Around the same time they made the Dearmond 2K they also designed a late model USA made Dearmond 2000 pickup that I have a pair of in my 2003 Guild X160 Rockabilly. They are great pickups as well and while they look similar on the outside to your 2K models they are actually built as a modernized version of the originals. They don't have the kick of the originals but are a pretty cool pickup in their own rights with a completely different tone from the 2K's.

The Princeton Reverb is a cool little amp and if you dig that I suggest possibly trying out a New Fender 68 custom Deluxe silver face. They are a 1x12 22 watt Full Tube amp with 2 channels and 2 inputs per channel. The first channel is based on a Bassman tone stack which sounds awesome and takes pedals extremely well. The second channel is called Vintage and gives you more of that tweed or early blackface tone that we all love so much. The Kicker on this amp is that unlike the originals the Reverb and Tremolo is active on both channels. The Reverb is lush as to be expected from a Fender Reverb and the Tremolo is Amazing. Also you can run both channels at the same time running an A/B box. The 22 watts is perfect for playing at Bedroom levels with great tone or you can open it up and it is plenty for gigging clubs and such. Normally you can find them New on sale for $800-$850 and they are well worth it. Honestly it is the most versatile all tube amp I own. Think of it as a Princeton Reverb with a kick. Best of luck in your search and enjoy that Dearmond Starfire Special, They are Great guitars!

TX

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I love my '98 DeArmond Starfire Special, fire engine red. The workmanship on this Korean-built model is impeccable, and the 2K p/u's really howl. I play Ernie Ball Power Slinky's on it.

But as my friend says, "It's heavier than a dead preacher."

naveed211

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, TX, I didn't know all that about the pickups. Makes sense if it's basically a P-90, it does have that general sound/vibe.

I ended up going with a Delta Blues 210 that the DeArmond also sounded beautiful through.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Congratulations on your new acquisitions! Photos, photos!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Just checked back on this thread and Congrats Naveed on the Delta Blues 2x10 amp! Those Peavey Tweed tube amps are extremely under rated in my opinion. They have a wonderful tone to them and are built extremely well for their price point. Great choice, Like Dreadnut said, Pictures Please! Besides sounding great I'll bet it looks awesome with your Starfire Special next to it.

TX