Guild F4ACE ...?

swiveltung

Reaction score
Is the Guild F4ACE true acoustic construction or milled out body like the Songbird?
What are your thoughts on these? Comparable volume to a parlor or F20 style acoustic?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Is the Guild F4ACE true acoustic construction or milled out body like the Songbird?
What are your thoughts on these? Comparable volume to a parlor or F20 style acoustic?

Hi Swiveltung:
I see a model number I don't recognize.
I DO see F4ce's (no "A") and those are fully traditional construction.
More info here:
http://westerlyguildguitars.com/guitars/f4ce.html
All those Fxxce's were actually based on the old F40 Valencia outline, and even the shallow ones like my F65ce give pretty good acoustic volume. I can't A/B with an F20 but I'd expect it to compare favorably due to larger outline and equal depth in some of the models.
They're also very comfortable if that's one of your goals, but you need to check on the scale length of a given model.
Some of 'em had 24-3/4" w/ 1-11/16 nut early on and 25-5/8" w/ 1-5/8 nut later.
Songbirds and S4ce's were actually based on the slightly different Bluesbird outline but I don't know what the lower bout width is on those, I think it's a little smaller.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Thanks much! Maybe I got the A in there accidentally...

You're welcome!
For more input on volume of those "small bodies", for a while my F65ce was actually as loud as my D40 but the D40 finally "found its voice" a couple of years back.
Just needed a long time to open up, I guess.
Have seen new owner reports about Coronas which seem to be confirming that characteristic lately.
Here's something that might tickle your fancy:

http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?193168-F45ce-Amberburst

Those're even full-depth bodies but still based on the F40 Valencia.

Last edited:

CosmicArkie

Reaction score
Per the link above and checking my F4CE, the nut is more like 1-5/8 - noticeably narrower.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Per the link above and checking my F4CE, the nut is more like 1-5/8 - noticeably narrower.
Yeah, when they went long scale they went to 1-1/58 nut,(AHA< I See I typo'd in my earlier post, thanks!) Hans said it happened sometime in '94 for F65ce's so guessing yours fell into that changeover too.