Three acoustic Guilds I really want

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Re D15... lusting for cherry finish or the light brown mahogany finish?
Inquiring minds want to know... :saturn:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Probably cherry, I've already got the D-25M with the mahogany finish.

Just dreamin'...

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wood: I listened to your "Not Metal," that is some nice fingerpicking! Man, I would love to hear your D-25Br next to my D-25M, two totally different D25's with solid spruce tops!

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Wood: I listened to your "Not Metal," that is some nice fingerpicking! Man, I would love to hear your D-25Br next to my D-25M, two totally different D25's with solid spruce tops!

his D-25BR has a solid mahogany top, as does the D-15.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

wow, thanks for the kind words and for taking some time to listen to some of those tunes. I don't get a lot of listens of course :)
interesting your remark re my Br vs a classic arched back D25, my other Guild GAS that I have left at all, outside of the F312, is a 1970s D25 arched. like a 1974 or 1975 but really any 70s would do. Just so I can own both the flat and the arched, and really own both tonal spectrums of the best acoustic dreadnought workhorse ever invented.

Oh I know the arched is spruce top, but the holy grail D25s are just super hard to come by (arched all hog).

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
and Mav, the D15 is really the no frills version of the D25 arched all hog aka holy grail d25?

i think that you are the only one i know of that considers the 1973-1974 mahogany top/arch back D-25 a "wholy grail" guitar (many of us prefer the flat/solid-back version you actually own...), but yes, the D-15 is a bindingless version of that 1973/74 arched back mahogany top D-25. there is also a D-16/17/18? or at least one-two of those (or maybe 2 are the same from different years...80's...) and those may have high-gloss, (white) binding...all arch backs and full solid mahogany tops.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
i think that you are the only one i know of that considers the 1973-1974 mahogany top/arch back D-25 a "wholy grail" guitar (many of us prefer the flat/solid-back version you actually own...)

LOL Eric. I like that. Could mean I will have a better chance that not on one day nabbing my holy grail D25 :)
Should have bought Sandy's when I had the chance and could have come up with the money. Ah well.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
i think that you are the only one i know of that considers the 1973-1974 mahogany top/arch back D-25 a "wholy grail" guitar (many of us prefer the flat/solid-back version you actually own...)
When I was lurking here for a while before I actually signed up, it was big news when one of those popped up on eekBay.
They're definitely the rarest of the breed and I don't think even Hans knows how many were actually made, I'm guessing there was no distinction in the records about what the top was while they were transitioning to the spruce top.
So when a thread about "Holy Grail Guilds" was started several years back, I seem to recall it got a mention due to those factors.
I've used the term myself although I'm only mildly curious to hear one in the flesh.
But who knows it could rock my world.
Or maybe I'd like the original flatback better than my D40.
I've never heard a 'hog top guitar.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Someone here owns an all 'hog arched back D-25. They didn't make a lot of those, they were in the transition period from flat-back to arched-back, circa '73-'74. And yes the D-15's were all 'hog with an arched back. Some, if not all, had the "GUILD" inlaid into the headstock. Very pretty guitars, they took the place of the D-25 in the line-up as the entry-level dreadnaught for a while.

steve488

Reaction score
Guild Total
Dread,
It would seem that the F-312 is a deviation from your main base of dreads. In my case at some future point the goal is a G-312 and one of those all hog (pick a number 15, 16, 17...25) dread 12 string.... (unless there is a D-55-12 somewhere in the world......)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Dread,
It would seem that the F-312 is a deviation from your main base of dreads. In my case at some future point the goal is a G-312 and one of those all hog (pick a number 15, 16, 17...25) dread 12 string.... (unless there is a D-55-12 somewhere in the world......)

Closest I've ever seen was a D80-12:
http://westerlyguildguitars.com/guitars/d80-12.html
and I was surprised to see a "DV-12" recently. but I'm guessing they decided to "up the ante" and "leapfrog" a 12-string D-55.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Dread,

Charliea, a long time LTGer here, but have not heard from him or seen him on here in months (i hope all is ok!) was a Guild 12 string expert. He had nearly all the relevant models or still does. anyway, he said the G312 is the most well balanced and all around workhorse in his opinion of the guild 12 strings.

forgive me if i am not representing his words accurately, i am going from memory.

CosmicArkie

Reaction score
I've been monitoring the forum for some time and haven't had the nerve to bring it up, but, I'm very impressed with the Korean DeArmonds I've got - SF w/Gold Tones; M75 w/Gold Tones; X-145 w/2k's. The M75 is my favorite noodler that sits by my chair on a stand and makes even my clumsy fingering passable.

So, here's my dilemma: I've got the GAD D-125M and love it. I've got $325 in it.

Will one of the American D15's on Reverb _really_ be twice as nice??

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
IMHO, no need to fear bringing it up. It's a really fair point. The Chinese Blueridge and Masterbuilt Epis, the Korean GAD's and DeArmonds and more have zero to apologize for. They are fine guitars that sound great. As far as I'm concerned, buy what works for you and forget about any bias anybody has against import guitars. I have several of each of the above mentioned and I love 'em all. Of course like any brand, you can get good ones and so-so ones but that certainly isn't limited to Asian brands.