Corona vs New Hartford D-55

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
Does anyone know what are the qualitative and quantitative differences between the Corona and New Hartford built D-55s? For example, does the Corona model have red spruce bracing or not? What about the tuners? I'm taking delivery of a Corona D-55 off of Ebay and I am curious.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Corona D55= Sitka Bracing, Grover Rotomatic closed back tuners, Sitka top, EIR back and sides, Slightly different body shape than the New Hartford Models with more sloped shoulders and less of a waist, Black composite headstock overlay, Ebony Bridge and fretboard, Heavier Build, a bit thicker neck profile with almost 1.75" nut width (at least on mine anyway), thicker Nitro Finish, Non compensated bone saddle and Bone nut. I am pretty sure the factory add on electronics were a 9 volt Fishman under saddle unit.

Here is a front shot of my 2003 50th anniversary D55 for reference. This guitar has an Englemann Spruce top instead of Sitka as it is the limited Anniversary model However it is the same shape as the regular D55's with the Stika top.

88LHe5.jpg

New Hartford D55= Adirondack Bracing, Gotoh 700 series open back tuners, Sitka Top and EIR back and sides, More Traditional Body shape with squared off shoulders and a more defined waist, Solid Ebony Headstock overlay, Ebony Bridge and Fretboard, Lighter Build, A bit smaller Neck profile with closer to 1 11/16" nut width on both of mine, Thinner Nitro Finish (on both of mine as well), Compensated Bone saddle with Bone nut. Factory Electronics were 18 volt DTAR Multisource with built in condenser mic.

Here is a pic of my 2014 D55-RS for reference. This was part of a 3 guitar special run with the Adirondack top but it is the same body shape as the regular Sitka topped models.

81uAuK.jpg

I am sure there are other differences but this is what I can think of right now. Congrats in Advance on picking up a D55 Rich! They are wonderful guitars, Hope this helps!

TX

Last edited:

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
TX,
Many, many thanks for your very informative response. Wow, you've got a, dare I say it, stupendous collection of unique Guilds!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks Rich, here is a sneak peak for you at what arrived yesterday. Sometime today I will take proper pictures and do a NGD for everyone. Love me some New Hartford Guilds!

aswgWY.jpg

TX

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
I recently acquired a 1974 DV-72, and have been blown away by its definition, harmonics, sustain, resonance, not to mention its looks. I wonder if the Corona D-55 will stand up to it? Let's see when it arrives I'll give my opinion in this thread.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The DV72's are Awesome Guitars.

TX

Last edited:

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Corona D55....
Here is a front shot....
New Hartford D55=....
Here is a pic of....

Thanks for the show, TX. Stunning!

...I'm taking delivery of a Corona D-55 off of Ebay...

Major congrats! Was it that one from "jimmyguitar" out of Texas? Looks like a beauty. Love that abalone rosette! :tiger: Sounds like it might just need a setup....

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
Thanks for the show, TX. Stunning!

Major congrats! Was it that one from "jimmyguitar" out of Texas? Looks like a beauty. Love that abalone rosette! :tiger: Sounds like it might just need a setup....
Yes, off of Ebay from Jimmy...got it at a good price!

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks Rich, here is a sneak peak for you at what arrived yesterday. Sometime today I will take proper pictures and do a NGD for everyone. Love me some New Hartford Guilds!

aswgWY.jpg

TX

I hate you for owning that guitar. How dare you flaunt it in my face! Pistols at dawn, suh!

I'll be in the corner muttering 'till then.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I hate you for owning that guitar. How dare you flaunt it in my face! Pistols at dawn, suh!

I'll be in the corner muttering 'till then.

Pick a caliber, I have everything from .357 Magnum to 10mm in matching pairs. I am from Texas you know, Colts at Dawn it is Good Suh!

TX

Last edited:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Damn you! But then I'm always a sucker for a nice 'burst. Here's my DV-52, back at ya. Nice Corona/NH comparison by the way, complete with photos.

Waiting to hear how you like that DV-72, it looks real minty!

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Pick a caliber, I have everything from .357 Magnum to 10mm in matching pairs. I am from Texas you know, Colts at Dawn it is Good Suh!

TX

Damn, I miss TX. Actually, when it comes to this stuff I miss almost anywhere that isn't NJ. :biggrin-new:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Damn, I miss TX. Actually, when it comes to this stuff I miss almost anywhere that isn't NJ. :biggrin-new:

New Jersey is still slightly better than New York though. I have a friend that lives up there and he mentioned something like a 5 or 10 round clip maximum. That is funny right there.

TX