Another painful one.....

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Oh, that hurts. Love Chis Cornell, perhaps my favorite work is his first two solo albums. There has been rumors he was considering working with Jimmy Page which I was excited about. Much too young. RIP.

walrus

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
That Sucks. He had such a powerful voice and great songwriting. I loved the music he made with Kim Thayil in Soundgarden but I also dug the music when he formed Audioslave with former Rage Against The Machine members. What a loss. RIP man.

TX

Alan_M

Reaction score
This is devastating. Chris Cornell is my Elvis, my John Lennon, my Kurt Cobain. We're the same age. This is bringing my own mortality into sharp relief. One of the greatest singers of all time. RIP.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Sad, that young. Never owned any of his records, but I did appreciate him as a singer, the only one out of that whole Seattle/Grunge generation who could *really* sing.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
very sad. what a legend, and what a voice. just tremendous. I saw them open for Guns n Roses at Madison Square Garden in 9th grade.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
How strange: my friend S and I were offered tickets at cost to last night's Soundgarden show and nearly went. But instead we opted for baseball as S is into more mellow sounds these days. Also, yesterday's "Sound like…without breaking the bank" on the Anderton YouTube channel was devoted to Soundgarden. What a total bummer…

-Dave-

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Burden in My Hand and his temple of dog work were fabulous.
wife says no segue she noticed for this to happen. death by hanging, very sad.
i did not realize they were first band signed by Subpop. grunge way before it was cool to be grunge.

just brillaint: https://youtu.be/VUb450Alpps

bummed.

Last edited:

S100

Reaction score
Guild Total
Beautiful voice. I'll miss him dearly.

Edit: He's also a terribly underrated guitar player. Look him up playing Rusty Cage live.

https://youtu.be/Gq2D8bR52i0

Last edited:

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I"ve heard it discribed as the terror of living overcoming the terror of dying.

:-( Damned shame.

Zelja

Reaction score
Absolutely shocked. It seemed that he carved out a nice career for himself after the heady grunge days and that he had it together. leaves 3 kids behind. Very sad.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
The fellow who offered me and my friend tickets to Wednesday's Soundgarden show saw it with his partner (and sold the other two tickets outside the theatre). I talked with him yesterday. He said Cornell behaved strangely the entire show, very unlike his usual focused stage demeanor, singing off-rhythm and skipping lyrics, jabbing at his guitar as much as playing it. This has been noted by other folks who were at the show too. If, as the Rolling Stone piece suggests, he took too much Ativan I suspect he must've done so before the show rather than after.

-Dave-

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
If, as the Rolling Stone piece suggests, he took too much Ativan I suspect he must've done so before the show rather than after.
After reading Default's post ("fear of living..") I was wondering if he was possibly on meds for something like Bipolar disorder, as those meds can be almost as bad and sometimes, to the sufferer, even worse than the disease.
Apparently his wife has confirmed the Ativan overdose, that he told her he took a "couple of extra", and looking it up just now I see it's a benzodiazepam just like Valium which gained notoriety in the late '70's.
While I don't think it's a common treatment for BD, it is commonly prescribed for depression and overdoses absolutely cause short-term memory loss and poor co-ordination and suicidal tendencies.
The thing that strikes me here is that it's possible to literally forget how many you've taken.
I never understood how that could be possible with anything when I was a young party animal but I get it now.
My heart goes out to his family even more than regretting the loss of another great artist.

Last edited: