Today is Bluesbird-90 Day!

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Pics in a bit, but I just had to say holy crap - the neck on this thing is just shy of 1 3/4" at the nut.

Edit - here's a pic:

5D3_2069_1600.jpg

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Pics in a bit, but I just had to say holy crap - the neck on this thing is just shy of 1 3/4" at the nut.

That sounds Great! Sounds like my Corona SFIII-90 neck.

TX

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I had an '01 BB P90, and the neck on the '98 BB I have now feels pretty much the same, but I have no official measurements to back it up...

walrus

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
So check this out and tell me I'm wrong.

This is the inside cover from the 2002 Guild/Fender catalog:

Guild-Catalog-InnerCover0-1600.jpg

The contrast is pushed and it's basically a magazine print, so ignore the red in the finish - that's a tobacco burst guitar.

Now, tell me the guitar in my possession is not that very guitar. Here they are side by side:

CatalogComparison1.jpg

Look at the grain patterns and understand that due to polarization, the light/dark areas of the flame are reversed.

Here's me highlighting sections that are obviously the same to my eye.

CatalogComparison2.jpg

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Sure looks the same to me GAD! Congrats on a Gorgeous buy my friend! Any first impressions of it?

TX

kakerlak

Reaction score
Figure is a for sure match, but, for extra corroboration, it looks like the locked-down-to-the-top tailpiece studs are oriented with the slots in the same position and the saddles seem to have wound up towards the back end of the bridge in both pictures, so, assuming both are properly intonated, that's sort of a signature, too.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sure looks the same to me GAD! Congrats on a Gorgeous buy my friend! Any first impressions of it?

TX

It rings like a freaking bell. After the neck its amazing resonance is what I noticed first. It is very alive in a way that my other Bluesbird is not, and that guitar is no slouch!

The frets are perfection and the inlays are beautiful. The wiring of the toggle is a bit strange to me but it appears to be original and works properly. Very nice guitar and absolutely worth the price.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
It rings like a freaking bell. After the neck its amazing resonance is what I noticed first. It is very alive in a way that my other Bluesbird is not, and that guitar is no slouch!

The frets are perfection and the inlays are beautiful. The wiring of the toggle is a bit strange to me but it appears to be original and works properly. Very nice guitar and absolutely worth the price.

Sounds like this may be a possible keeper after the review is said and done. I got a chance to play a Custom Shop Bluesbird P90 once and it was an Amazing instrument. The only reason I don't own it today is the seller says they are never getting rid of it.:love-struck:

TX

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score

When you say "it rings" do mean unplugged? I've always been astounded by how nice my BB sounds unplugged.

walrus

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I know they are different Animals but how does it stack up against your 2 Nightbirds? Just curious as you are the first person I know to own both a Custom Shop Bluesbird and a Nightbird x2 at the same time. That has to be one Awesome A/B/C session!

TX

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Well, bluesy, you've been amused by that kind of question before, so I'm glad you are still happy!

In fact, here's a thread about it you started yourself!

http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...ric-guitar&highlight=unplugged+electric+sound

Your thread above has a interesting discussion about it (GAD, your post in it is great!), so I'm not going to repeat all that.

Just wondering about the unplugged sound of this particular BB Beauty GAD has just bought. I have had several electric guitars, and even some semi-hollows have not had such a nice (but quiet) sound unplugged as my BB does.

walrus

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Well, bluesy, you've been amused by that kind of question before, so I'm glad you are still happy!

In fact, here's a thread about it you started yourself!

http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...ric-guitar&highlight=unplugged+electric+sound

Your thread above has a interesting discussion about it (GAD, your post in it is great!), so I'm not going to repeat all that.

Just wondering about the unplugged sound of this particular BB Beauty GAD has just bought. I have had several electric guitars, and even some semi-hollows have not had such a nice (but quiet) sound unplugged as my BB does.

walrus

You're right. I shouldn't laugh about those things.
What got me though is the fact that we're talking B-Bird. (The thread I started was about a jazz box)
Promised, I won't do it again. Going back to my room now.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yes, I mean it rings like a bell unplugged. It is very loud acoustically.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I know they are different Animals but how does it stack up against your 2 Nightbirds? Just curious as you are the first person I know to own both a Custom Shop Bluesbird and a Nightbird x2 at the same time. That has to be one Awesome A/B/C session!

TX

I'll have to A/B them. Its snappy acoustic behavior reminds me of the Nightbirds more than my other Bluesbird but I haven't had any of those out in a while.