Stupid Wall-Hanging Guild Buying Son of a...

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Bought this X170T in "mint" condition, which it is. Mostly.

5D3_1680_1600.jpg

It's hard to see in the pics, but the top is not the same shade as the sides. When I dug a bit I discovered that the reason it's mint is that the person I bought it from bought it from a doctor who bought it and hung it on his wall, apparently in the sunlight. As a result, the top is significantly paler that the back and sides which really irritates me because i love the deep Tennessee Orange of a fine X170T.

This pic kind of shows it. See how the cutaway is a deep rich orange? That's what the top should look like. The top looks like a creamsicle with way too much cream. It makes me sad.

5D3_1673_1600.jpg

And yes, I'll get over it because I got it for a great price and it's a fabulous guitar.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ya done good! That gold plated hardware is sweet too!

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
If they'd only ....put P90's on it! :)

I'm glad to know someone's paying attention. :biggrin-new:

I'm actually going to try something. With my first one I tried this but I was afraid to fill and re-drill the holes to make the rings fit properly. Now TV Jones makes "universal mount" pickups and sells rings that supposedly fit "Gibson-type" guitars, so I'm going to experiment.

_B0Z5214_800.jpg

So that means if you remove the pickguard...

I'm afraid to try. That will happen when I work on the pickups, though.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
You mean you haven't even taken a peek?

Crazy, right? It was waiting for me when I got home from a trip and I've been tired/slammed so my normal routine got thrown.

So, brand new, a $2000 wall hanger?

I've seen far pricier things hanging on some people's walls. To some people it's just art.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total

I'm actually going to try something. With my first one I tried this but I was afraid to fill and re-drill the holes to make the rings fit properly. Now TV Jones makes "universal mount" pickups and sells rings that supposedly fit "Gibson-type" guitars, so I'm going to experiment.

_B0Z5214_800.jpg

What about SD FatCats? I have been curious about those.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm one of those guys that demands a certain level of beauty from my guitars and I think phat cats are ugly. I know, but how do they SOUND. As much as I love P90s, that's not *really* the sound I'm chasing. What I'm chasing is Brian Setzer's tone and though the P90s get me close, they're not quite there.

Hell, I'm annoyed at the new TV Jones design because it adds two screws that ruin the lines of an otherwise beautiful pickup. Compare this with the pic of my X170T above and you can see the two extra screws. If the new TV Jones rings solve my installation problem I may see if I can score a set of Classics or Classic Plus with the old English mount to get rid of the screws. Hopefully it will sound so amazing that I'll forget about the screws which is really just a symptom of me over-analyzing everything while sitting in front of a computer.

TV-Jones-Brian-Setzer-Bridge.jpg

If I can get them installed to my satisfaction and they sound great, I may convert the coil split switch to a master volume. If all of this is possible look for an article on the subject because why not? :livid:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with a few Tan Lines now and then. To me they just highlight the more important areas, LOL!:biggrin-new: Beautiful Guitar GAD and Kudos to you for saving it from that Wall it has been hanging on for most of it's life. The new TV Jones universal mounts with the pickup rings worked great on a X-150 I had. Everything lined up perfectly with the original mounting holes for the Fender made pickup rings. I don't see why yours would be any different.

I know you dig the filtertrons but something else to consider is that they make the T-armond's in a universal mount now as well. If you do stay with the TV Jones filtertron style pickups make sure you check out the newer TV Jones Duo-trons. They are a half pole pieces and half Blade setup that Paul Yandell designed back in the day and they never came to be. The poles and blades are switched on the bridge position and they have an Awesome tone to them. I am planning on replacing the Gold TV Classics in my Double cut Blue sparkle Falcon with a set in the next few months. Once again she is a Beauty and best of luck getting her set up the way you want it!

TX

dbirchett

Reaction score

_B0Z5214_800.jpg

What's with the double toggle?

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
It's coil split on the X170T Marsified guitar.

Last edited: