My new / old Guild D25 is on it's way home...

old mark

Reaction score
Just bought a 1979 Guild D25, and am just notified it has been shipped this morning, so I will have it by the weekend. I have seen people play these gems for many years, and finally was struck with the idea to buy one...So I looked around till I found one in great playing condition with no bad repairs or replacements, and bought it. It's the later spruce top round back version, which I wanted because they seem to be pretty loud, and I'm more of a blues player than anything else, so loud is good with me.
Any thoughts on these good old Guild US made guitars?
Thanks...
Mark

Ross

Reaction score
Guild Total
Lots of thoughts, all of them good.

I bought my 1983 D25 new, 34 years ago. It's been my only acoustic since then. When I bought it, I was just learning to fingerpick, and my thumb action wasn't very good. When I fingered that Guild, the bass notes jumped right out at me, and I was sold!

About 3 weeks ago I was at a kitchen jam. The D25 was the only guitar, among 3 banjos and a bodhran. It cut through that mix like (insert your favourite simile here).

I hope that you enjoy your new acquisition as much as I enjoy mine.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Congrats! I have a flatback D25 from 1971 and it is my one and only acoustic.
When I bought a way better built boutique dread, after about a year, I gave the boutique guitar to my wife as I just preferred the Guild dread.
Yours should have more volume and power than mine even, as mine is not arched back.
They are great iconic American dreadnought guitars.

Also, I continue to get compliments on the sound of my Guild with a K&K mini pickup. That is a passive pup too, and I never use a pre-amp. Cuts thru like Ross cites above and sounds real powerful, clean and vintage-y. Granted my D25 is 46 years old so the all hog tonewoods have settled in quite nicely at this point.

Last edited:

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
I had a 1979 D-25 CH in my possession for a couple of years. It had neck problems that could not be reconciled by anything less than $1k.

I will say it was not only the best sounding Guild I have ever owned but possibly the best sounding Guild I have played.. Very subjective I know. As long as it is in good working order you will have yourself a player for sure. Mine was LOUD and rich.

old mark

Reaction score
Thanks...So fast!
I'm a bassist and guitar player since age 14, now going on 70, play mostly electric guitars...I own 2 Guild basses, both US made Pilots from 1986, one fretless, but I have never even played a Guild acoustic...I have been checking this model - even this year - on Youtube , etc, and I'm really excited to get it. Already making plans to sell my 2 Epiphone Masterbilts...
Thanks.

Mark

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Congrats, Mark! I have a '76 D-25M that I bought new, it's still my main guitar after 41 years; and it stands right in there with the Bluegrass band too! I like the arched back and spruce top best, but then I'm biased.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
They are great guitars.

I've had two, my current being an '89. It's had a neck reset, a re-fret, and a K&K installed. It's simply awesome.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Congrats, Mark! I have a '76 D-25M that I bought new, it's still my main guitar after 41 years; and it stands right in there with the Bluegrass band too! I like the arched back and spruce top best, but then I'm biased.

Dreadnut - Nice Prine quote in our sig. Great song.