Ngd - d70-12e

awagner

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Just had it checked out. Other than a string change and setup, no work was required. Looks, sounds and plays great. Original electronics I am told is an early active Fishman system. It basically works, but it probably will be replaced. Someone slightly sanded the X-braces, but the guitar is structurally sound.

Pix to follow.

awagner

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
CwqX1ZZ.jpg
3LLJi8U.jpg
ijRrF4e.jpg
RMftiS1.jpg
tkwEUe9.jpg
bWTDTsg.jpg
mQV89TD.jpg

Last edited:

Bonneville88

Reaction score
Guild Total
WOW!!... same here... NOT something you're gonna see often... very COOL!
Congrats!
Man... production numbers on that must be low low low!

wileypickett

Reaction score
Intriguing! Would love to check one of these out sometime. Congrats! An already killer collection just got even more impressive. Where'd you find this one?

awagner

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Intriguing! Would love to check one of these out sometime. Congrats! An already killer collection just got even more impressive. Where'd you find this one?

Thanks.

I did not even know this model existed until the seller posted in the FS/FT section. It has a C of A that says it is one of 2 produced in 1983. So there is at least one more out there.

awagner

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
The electronics work, but they don't sound great. Took the guitar to my guy, and told him that maintaining the use of the tone and volume knobs is a must. He could not find an existing system that would allow this, so our options are to either (a) see if Fishman will refurbish the unit, or (b) modify a system like the LR Baggs Element so that it can be wired to the knobs. He will be speaking to a tech at each company. If neither option is possible, I will leave it as is. The guitar sounds great unplugged and I can always play a different guitar if I need to plug in.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
The only thing I can think of to say is...

Damn...

70man

Reaction score
So green .........................but ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh very pleased for you man, that is one fine catch.

awagner

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
So green .........................but ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh very pleased for you man, that is one fine catch.

Thanks, Stu. It's funny how you can convince yourself that you need a guitar that you never knew existed. What's next, a D55-12? Until Vol. 2 comes out, anything is possible.

gilded

Reaction score
The electronics work, but they don't sound great. Took the guitar to my guy, and told him that maintaining the use of the tone and volume knobs is a must. He could not find an existing system that would allow this, so our options are to either (a) see if Fishman will refurbish the unit, or (b) modify a system like the LR Baggs Element so that it can be wired to the knobs. He will be speaking to a tech at each company. If neither option is possible, I will leave it as is. The guitar sounds great unplugged and I can always play a different guitar if I need to plug in.

It looks like Fishman VTB controls. I think they put them in Guilds back in the '80s. Look inside and see if there is a PC board with the pots. I think paired those controls with their Matrix pickups. Google 'Fishman VTB and see what I mean.

I put that set-up in an old Tak' Martin copy about 10 years ago. It wasn't the best pickup rig I ever had in a flat-top, but it was really pretty good!