Braz rosewood fingerboards and bridges

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I know they stopped using Braz for backs and sides about 1969, but I believe I read here that they continued to use it for fingerboards and bridges. My '76 D-25M has a rosewood bridge and fingerboard, what are the chances they are Braz?

Probably not real likely as this was Guild's entry-level dread at the time...

The fingerboard is a bit scalloped where the John Prine songs are. :joyous:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
What I really want to stumble upon someday is an F-312...

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I sent close-up photos to Hans; he says he "thinks it is Braz but not 100% sure." Consistency wasn't Guild's strong suit, was it? lol. As many have stated here "they used what they had lying around." I'll work on getting the photos posted here too, but photobucket has been a real bugger lately

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
That looks like Brazilian RW to me Dreadnut on both the bridge and the Fretboard. It has that Beautiful Red accent to the streaks in the wood where EIR normally is more of a Brown hue.

TX

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Regarding availability: I have no idea what Guild's inventory was, but there have been scores and scores of guitars built since the 60's having Brazilian Rosewood fingerboards and bridges. To this day, it is still easier to acquire those items than it is to get a BR back and side set. Last I checked, a BR bridge blank at Colonial Tonewoods went for about $20.00

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I was looking at the Martin price list yesterday, and a Braz D-45 will set you back $55K. And I think that was last year's price list.

Hey, that's only $45K more than the "regular" D-45 with East Indian Rosewood. Serious upgrade! :greedy_dollars:

Last edited:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Of course, pitch-black ebony is the new Brazilian rosewood in terms of availability and price. Heretofore, you will see a lot of lighter ebony with colors and streaks, but if you want dark black ebony you will pay a premium.

cutrofiano

Reaction score
...It has that Beautiful Red accent to the streaks in the wood where EIR normally is more of a Brown hue.

Sure?

Brazilian Rosewood:

Rio-Palisander%20Griffbrett.jpg

http://www.rio-palisander.de/

But also:

Rio-Palisander-2.jpg

East Indian Rosewood:

Indischer-Palisander-Griffbrett.jpg

But also:

Indisches-Palisander-2.jpg

Moritz

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
It will likely remain a mystery...doesn't really matter to me unless someone tries to get possessive about it at customs.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Sure?

Moritz

Yes I am quite sure. I was basing my observation off of the Brazilian Rosewood that Guild used on their Fretboards and Bridges throughout production, Not the wood stock that other manufacturers used or may have used. Most of the Brazilian Rosewood I have seen on Guilds from the Late 50's on had that Nice red Hue to it. This is based off of the countless Guilds from the period that I own or have owned that used Brazilian Rosewood in some form or another throughout their construction. Have a good one!

TX

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I guess I'm one of the weirdos who likes irregularities in wood. An electric guitar to be made for me later this year by a fellow in Montreal will likely have a streaked ebony fretboard. The odd striations in my Nightbird's maple top catch my eye more than does the flame. Uneven grain in spruce tops: cool! IMO in the age of veneers and Photoshop, anything too symmetrical and uniform looks kinda fake.

-Dave-

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
Following this interesting thread about Brazilian Rosewood and pitch-black ebony fretboards & bridges, I was reminded of a story Mark Dronge told about Jerry Garcia and Phil Lesh sneaking off to the drying room during a tour of the Guild factory in Hoboken, NJ. The link opens to page 55, scroll back up to page 52 and look for the 3rd paragraph that begins with "Mark Dronge, the son of Guild Guitars founder..." pretty funny stuff. :saturn:

https://books.google.com/books?id=S...oAQgvMAU#v=onepage&q=jack casady gear&f=false

Bill