Would an F50 Standard sound any different from higher end F50's

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks, TX.

It is the first New Hartford Guild I bought, and the only one still in my possession (my F-47R is on loan to my performing partner). A lot of other NH Guilds have come and gone since (D-55, F-30, F-30 Standard, Orpheum 000, Orpheum 12-fret dread, Orpheum 14-fret dread). All great guitars, but only this one remains after I downsized my acoustic collection in favor of old Guild archtops.

It is the only guitar I ever bought new with full warranty (although deeply discounted at Rocky's).

Lady Texan first made me aware of its existance, and from there, I could not take my eyes off of the photos. Well, as it turns out, it sounded pretty good too. It is my main acoustic performing guitar, duties soon to be shared with my "new" '05 F-50R, now at the luthier's for a set-up and installation of a K&K.

The New Hartford made F50 (Standard or Traditional) and The New Hartford Made F50R together are the ultimate one two punch in my book. If you can't get the tone you are looking for out of those two then you need to quit playing guitar and take up basket weaving or something, LOL! Both of mine were purchased New by me at good prices with the Factory DTAR Multisource installed on each. I also have a New Hartford Made F512 with the DTAR that I purchased new as well. To me those 3 Guilds are irreplaceable.

TX

Last edited:

beecee

Reaction score
In comparing the maple grain on the backs of twocorgis and Neals vs txbumper I notice the "vertical" grain on txbumpers.

My JF 30 has a similar grain which I may have erroneously assumed was for the "lesser" of my entry level 12.

Not complaining, (you should hear And you and I by Yes on this puppy), nice to see it on the high end maples.

Neal

Reaction score
The New Hartford made F50 (Standard or Traditional) and The New Hartford Made F50R together are the ultimate one two punch in my book. If you can't get the tone you are looking for out of those two then you need to quit playing guitar and take up basket weaving or something, LOL! Both of mine were purchased New by me at good prices with the Factory DTAR Multisource installed on each. I also have a New Hartford Made F512 with the DTAR that I purchased new as well. To me those 3 Guilds are irreplaceable.

TX

For the sake of argument, a fine mahogany/spruce dread completes the tonal dream team.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
My JF 30 has a similar grain which I may have erroneously assumed was for the "lesser" of my entry level 12.

I'm not sure about the Westerlys, but I'm pretty sure your JF30-12 is no "entry level 12." AFAIK, it is a "high end maple," but without some of the bling, which is just cosmetic.

Not complaining, (you should hear And you and I by Yes on this puppy)....

Exactly. See? :encouragement:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
In comparing the maple grain on the backs of twocorgis and Neals vs txbumper I notice the "vertical" grain on txbumpers.

Not complaining, (you should hear And you and I by Yes on this puppy), nice to see it on the high end maples.

The Vertical Grain as you referred to it over the Highly Flamed Maple is something I have only seen in Guilds. The Maple wood selection they used starting in the mid to late 90's and on through New Hartford really resulted in some Amazing looking and sounding guitars. Here is a few pics of my 2000 Starfire V that has the same characteristics in it as my 2012 F50 shown earlier in the thread. The Maple that Guild has used in the last 20 years is without a doubt the prettiest and most wonderful sounding Maple I have ever seen or played.

4payPZ.jpg
KW8ZKH.jpg
6GqquQ.jpg

TX