Guild Starfire III - bands / artists who play...

D55007

Reaction score
So got my Guild Starfire III the other day and really enjoying it.
Looking for bands and artists who have used one so I can get watching them on YouTube...

I'll start off:

Steven Page (founder/former Barenaked Ladies)

Greg Brown (formerly of Cake)

Jeff Haddad

Reaction score
One of the guys in Garbage (Steve Marker or Duke Erickson) plays an SF III.

Dave Davies in some early Kinks stuff.

dbirchett

Reaction score
Ron Elliot and Don Irving from the Beau Brummels back in the '60s.

Guildadelphia

Reaction score
Saw Garry Talent, the bassist for the E Street Band, with his own band at the Ardmore Music Hall in Philly Thurs. Talent plays guitar not bass in his band (not a bad guitar player) and he was playing a vintage Starfire 3 in red with D'Armond pickups. The Starfire sounded great through the vintage Ampeg (looked to be a Reverb Rocket) he was using. The other guitar player in the band was the legendary Eddie Angel with his Philly made DePinto guitar. Angel is just a killer player.

DrumBob

Reaction score
Hundreds of unknown guitarists in 60's garage bands used Starfire IIIs. I've seen the photos over the years. They were reasonably priced for kids to play and they were plentiful. As mentioned, Dave Davies cut all the early Kinks stuff with his SF-III and a green El Pico amp with the speaker slit with a razor.

Last edited:

matsickma

Reaction score
I recall hearing somewhere that the genesis of the fuzz tone came from someone who accidentally busted their speaker cone and had no choice but play the gig. It sounded cool and the word spread of the new sound. This was circa late 50's or early '60 period. I could easily image word spreading and a young Dave Davies and other musicians trying this out.
This is in the era of "pure analog" effects. The desirable effects pedal when I was a kid was a Maestro Fuzz box.
M