Replace metal bridge?

CharleyRich

Reaction score
Guild Total
Can I replace the metal bridge on an x170t Bigsby with a tunematic on a wood base?

Thanks,

Charley

Last edited:

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Can I replace the metal bridge on an x170t Bigsby with a tune article on a wood base?

Thanks,

Charley

Hello CharleyRich,

Welcome! Not sure what you mean with a 'tune article', but if you mean a 'tune-o-matic' style bridge on a wooden base, then you can surely do that!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

CharleyRich

Reaction score
Guild Total
Rats, phone spell check...I meant a tunematic.

Can you point me to one that will work with the x170t? I was concerned about neck angle, radius and height.

thanks,

Charley

CharleyRich

Reaction score
Guild Total
I meant a tunematic style bridge on a wooden base. Can you recommend one or provide a link to one that will work on the X170t taking into account height, spacing and radius?

Thanks,

Charley

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
With a bigsby, it might be best if you can find a roller tune-o-matic that works.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Welcome CharleyRich and to answer your question, Yes you can, You just have to make sure that the bridge you buy has the same adjustment post spacing as the rosewood base you get. Also you have to make sure that the overall height of the new Tun-o-matic or roller tun-o-matic bridge and the rosewood base are low enough that they won't be bottomed out to get your proper neck angle and string height at the 12th fret. Most of the TOM bridges on the market will come really close to matching your pole spacing on your pickups but you may want to double check that before purchasing.

I have converted several of my Bigsby and Guildsby equipped guitars with Rosewood bases and Roller Tun-O-Matic bridges and I love them. They allow the bigsby to return to standard tuning even after heavy use. There are two different height Roller TOM bridges that are most often used with one being a regular height and one having a low profile to make up for any Neck angle issues. Here is a photo of the RW base/Roller TOM Bridge setup on my X160 Rockabilly to give you an Idea of what it will look like. The bridge in the photo is the regular height model. Hope this helps and again, Welcome to LTG. Look forward to hearing more from you in the future.

viAAQm.jpg
3eipXm.jpg

TX

Last edited:
Reaction score
TX, I think I want to try that on my X160 Rockabilly. Where did you get both pieces? (saddle and bridge)
And how is the string-to-polepiece alignment?
I was going to get a regular tune-o-matic and cut my own string slots...but yours looks pretty good...and it's a roller, which I have never used.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
TX, I think I want to try that on my X160 Rockabilly. Where did you get both pieces? (saddle and bridge)
And how is the string-to-polepiece alignment?
I was going to get a regular tune-o-matic and cut my own string slots...but yours looks pretty good...and it's a roller, which I have never used.

My luthier set mine up for me. I am pretty sure the RW base and roller TOM are for a Gretsch with Dynasonics and sold by Allparts. That is a replacement base on mine that matches the saddle posts on the new bridge. I believe they were sold as one unit together. Here is a shot of mine from the front so you can check the pole spacing. I have never had a problem with it and personally when it comes to a Guildsby or Bigsby type tremolo it is the only way to fly in my opinion. I will try and see if I can find the part number for you, I may have it in my files.

UPDATE: I couldn't find the original packaging for the saddle but I did measure it with my scale. It is right at 74mm or 2-29/32" from center bridge post to center bridge post. The center to center spacing from roller saddle to roller saddle is approx 10.5mm for an overall string spacing of 52.5mm or 2-1/16". Hope that helps Retro!

8Cr1Ey.jpg

TX

Last edited: