50-60's x-150 and x-175 body molds?

Reaction score
Does anyone know what year they changed the body molds for these guitars? If I'm not mistaken, all the x150-175's with Franz pickups had the same body up until they started using humbuckers in the mid 60's then they changed the shape a bit....?

jazzman

Reaction score
Best I can tell it was sometime around '64 when the switch in body shape happened. Possibly '63 but '64 for sure.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly There was more than one change. I thought the Body changed shape a bit from New York production to Hoboken production somewhere in the late 50's and then again in the mid to early 60's. I am sure Hans or Walter will be along shortly to verify either way. I know my 1960 Hoboken made X175 has a different shape than a 1954 New York made X175. Also it is not the same shape that we see on X175's throughout the late 60's and on through the 70's models either.

TX

Last edited:

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yep, archtop bodies changed shapes quite a bit. The mid/late 50's Hoboken guitars have a different shape than the NYC ones (actually the current Korean X175 is a good representation of 50's Hoboken guitars), guitars got bigger, deeper and different shape again somewhere around '61/62, and the cutaway became a little "pointier" and deeper in Westerly. And as far as I can tell, the archtops became progressively heavier (thicker tops and backs) and more rigid and "less acoustic" over the years too.