Which factory is making NS guitars?

bobouz

Reaction score
My apologies if this has already been covered, but I'm wondering if anyone has reliable info on which Korean factory is manufacturing Newark Street Guilds?

I have a 2014 A-150b Savoy, from the end of the Fender era.

Samick, Peerless, Saien, Unsung, other? Just curious!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
My apologies if this has already been covered, but I'm wondering if anyone has reliable info on which Korean factory is manufacturing Newark Street Guilds?

I have a 2014 A-150b Savoy, from the end of the Fender era.

Samick, Peerless, Saien, Unsung, other? Just curious!

I think it is the same place as Samick.
I think Ralf (SFIV1967) knows for sure, I think he was the guy who first told us.

Last edited:

dbirchett

Reaction score
I believe that it has always been SPG.

They make the Newport Street Series, the D'Angelicos and the Gretsch Electromatic hollow and semi-hollow electrics.

They are to Samick what Heritage is to Gibson. Samick makes their guitars in Indonesia now. Former Samick workers founded SPG and continued in Korea.

Last edited:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think Ralf (SFIV1967) knows for sure, I think he was the guy who first told us.
Nothing is for sure with regards to Guild ;-)
Initially (see explanation later in this post) Newark St. models were and mosty still are made by SPG Musical Instruments Co. (Sound Professional Guitar) in Korea, which is however NOT Samick (anymore)! When Samick moved production from Korea to Indonesia in 2003 former employees bought out the Samick factory and founded SPG. Later in May 2011 SPG relocated into a new built factory at 19, Bupyeongbuk-ro 236beon-gil, Bupyeong-gu, Incheon, Korea. So they were no longer in the former Samick building when they started production of the Newark St. models for Guild.
SPG makes their own guitars and was in the past (not today) also a manufacturer for Samick, but SPG is not Samick (anymore). Two different things. As far as I know it was only a customer-supplier relationship between Samick and SPG.

To also correct some wrong info I constantly read, Samick has never built guitars for Gretsch either...Some Gretsch guitars were made by Peerless in Korea, and then in late 2007 (?) production was transferred to the SPG factory. (Easy to see, "KP" serial numbers are Peerless, "KS" are SPG).

But now I explain why I said "initially". Some of the Newark St. models are obviously now made by WMI (World Musical Instrument Co. Ltd. ) in Incheon/Korea!
Read this thread: www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?189534-New-Korean-factory-for-some-Newark-St-models

Just to add, the acoustic GAD guitars were and Westerly Collection guitars are made at Grand Reward Education & Entertainment (GREE) in Hui Yang city / China.

EDIT: It looks like all solid-body electrics (T-Bird, Bluesbird solid and S-100) come from WMI now (KWM serials). The others (Aristocrat, Starfire,...) are still SPG (KSG serials) as it looks.

EDIT: Latest update as of 2021 is here:

Ralf

Last edited:

bobouz

Reaction score
Thanks Ralf - It's always interesting to know who the players are out there, and how they may have changed over the years.

So my A150b Savoy is a KSG from Jan 2014. Build quality is quite impressive from this manufacturer!

Last edited:

dbirchett

Reaction score
Nothing is for sure with regards to Guild ;-)
Initially (see explanation later in this post) Newark St. models were and mosty still are made by SPG (Sound Professional Guitar Co, Ltd.) in Korea, which is however NOT Samick!
SPG makes their own guitars and was in the past (not today) also a manufacturer for Samick, but not Samick. Two different things. As far as I know it was only a customer-supplier relationship between Samick and SPG.

To also correct some wrong info I constantly read, Samick has never built guitars for Gretsch either...Some Gretsch guitars were made by Peerless in Korea, and then in late 2007 (?) production was transferred to the SPG factory. (Easy to see, "KP" serial numbers are Peerless, "KS" are SPG).

But now I explain why I said "initially". Some of the Newark St. models are obviously now made by WMI (World Musical Instrument Co. Ltd. ) in Incheon/Korea!
Read this thread: www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?189534-New-Korean-factory-for-some-Newark-St-models

Just to add, the acoustic GAD guitars were (best guess) and Westerly Collection (for sure) guitars are made at Grand Reward Education & Entertainment (GREE) in Hui Yang city / China.

Ralf

Thank you Ralf for the clarification. I didn't know that WMI was making guitars such as the Thunderbird and the Bluesbird. I wonder if they are making the S100 now as well.

Reaction score
Does anyone have any information about a Guild 12 String, Guild GAD-G12ASB Dreadnaught Guitar? I am considering buying it on eBay. The owner says it has a solid Mahogany back and sides, and a Birch top. I have never heard of anything like this. Any information is greatly appreciated.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I didn't know that WMI was making guitars such as the Thunderbird and the Bluesbird. I wonder if they are making the S100 now as well.
Good question ! The answer is YES !

On the Sweetwater site the S-200 has a KWM serial number. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/S200ATB
The Bluesbird as well: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BluesBITB
And the S-100 as well.

But indeed the S-100 factory was also changed as this pictures proofs: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1140/2426/products/Studio_Session-278-2_1024x1024.JPG?v=1473956589
It belongs to this guitar: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1140/2426/products/Studio_Session-283-4_900x900.JPG?v=1473956569
I noticed already one visible difference, the electronics chamber of the S-100 now has a lid fixed with 6 screws: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1140/2426/products/Studio_Session-275-1_1024x1024.JPG?v=1473956577
Look at a previous KSG made one with only 4 screws: http://guildguitars.com/wp-content/...street_mainimage_s100polara_back-1500x630.jpg

So it looks like all solid-body electrics (T-Bird, Bluesbird solid and S-100) come from WMI now (KWM serials). The others (Aristocrat, Starfire,...) are still SPG (KSG serials) as it looks.

Ralf

Last edited:

dbirchett

Reaction score
That's in line with Gretsch, who uses SPG for their Electromatic hollow bodies and (I believe) semi-hollows and then goes elsewhere for solid bodies and chambered.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any information about a Guild 12 String, Guild GAD-G12ASB Dreadnaught Guitar? I am considering buying it on eBay. The owner says it has a solid Mahogany back and sides, and a Birch top. I have never heard of anything like this. Any information is greatly appreciated.

HI Mystic:
Welcome aboard!
Your first few posts will be vetted by moderators so don't worry if they don't show up in "real time"
Something strikes me as odd about that "GADG12ASB" model number, it doesn't fit the GAD numbering system that I recall, it should be something like a GAD D12512 or a GAD JF30012.
I just don't recall any of the GAD's using a "G" model prefix.
It was even pretty rare for US-built Guilds and only one '70's era 12-string used that type of number, a "G212" which was a dreadnought 12-string w/ solid 'hog b&s. And spruce top.
And I don't think there were any "Birch tops" on any GAD's, I think they were all spruce.
Most of the time those errors are due to "seller ignorance", in a polite sense.
A link to the eBay ad would help confirm my guess that it's ID'd incorrectly, but there's also a slight possibility it's not actually a Guild, we do see counterfeits occasionally and they're usually pretty easy to spot.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
"GADG12ASB" model number, it doesn't fit the GAD numbering system that I recall
GAD-G212ASB (Antique Sunburst) would be the correct number of that old discontinued model.
The full specs are still visible here if you scroll down (in that case with electronics): http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/guild-gad-g212-acoustic-guitar

Example of a GAD-G212NAT label:

20844.jpg

Ralf

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yup, Like Ralf listed above They made a GAD G212 for a few years. They sounded pretty good from what I remember. Best of luck if you get it Mystic!

TX

Last edited:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have a '98 DeArmond Starfire Special by Guild, made in Korea, I wonder who made those? I know later they were moved to Indonesia where the quality and price bottomed out before Fender liquidated the brand. The lucky stiffs found new-old-stock Korean-made ones at Indonesian prices when Fender had their blowout sale on the brand.

E-Type

Reaction score
So I have been looking at the recent Aristocrats and have noticed at a few places (Amazon, Reverb) they list the location of manufacture as China.

For one of them (listed as a Newark St. Guild Aristocrat), here is the SN:
s4e2b5mm8xvxooy3eau5.jpg

Any idea what the deal is with these?