T-Armonds in a Newark Starfire

dhdfoster

Reaction score
There was an older thread about this, but I don't know if anyone here has done it, yet. I finally got around to it, and the results are even better than I expected. It's a long story involving a lost guitar and the USPS, but I was able to get a used NS SF III for a great price, so I went for it.

I have an original SF III, that was a gift, and I've grown to fear taking it out for gigs. I'm usually a "vintage guitars should be gigged" guy, but this one is very special, so I decided to do an expendable version of it.

The T-Armonds sound really great. I was expecting a very bright sounding guitar, but TV's pickups in this guitar are warm and pleasant. They are quite different than modern D'Armonds to my ears.

I'm very impressed with the guitar itself, as well. It's joy to play and it's beautifully made.

The pickups didn't quite cover the cutouts for the humbuckers mounting tabs, so I had them installed by my local shop and they fabricated a thin, adhesive rubber mounting ring that's just slightly wider than a standard spacer and it covered the hole. You can barely see it. I've played a couple shows with it and I have no complaints at all. I love that the Newark St. line exists, but I haven't kept either of the previous ones I've owned. I think I'll keep this one, though. :)

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
You did it! Excellent!!! Good to hear it sounds good too. Now you have me thinking of doing that to a NS Capri!!

On a different note, is it the angle of the picture, or did they manage to uglify the cutaway horn somewhat on the NS Starfire, compared to your original beauty?

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Alright then, I'm probably paranoid, ha. Really very cool, and even cooler you went the extra mile and ordered the T-Armonds in white. Thanks for the GAS flare-up dude...!

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Great pair! What year is the "old" Starfire?

walrus

dhdfoster

Reaction score
Alright then, I'm probably paranoid, ha. Really very cool, and even cooler you went the extra mile and ordered the T-Armonds in white. Thanks for the GAS flare-up dude...!

Haha, now I'm paranoid, so I'll double-check the shape. Now, I've given myself gas for a bigger guitar with T-Armonds. A Capri would work very well, indeed.

Walrus, I believe it's a 61-62.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
It must be the angle. I think they are completely identical in shape.
The cutaway has a slightly different radius indeed I think to remember. I think we had even discussed that here in the past.

Guild-Starfire-III-1965-6.jpg
S_KSG1602593_9_of_11__70400.1473761643.jpg

Westerly Starfire IIIs from the 90'ies were even more off:

i8dqew9w2csurobfbnty.jpg

Ralf

Last edited:

Zelja

Reaction score
Well done, nice little project!

How do the TV Jones sound compared to the originals (I know they are in a different guitar but...).

dhdfoster

Reaction score
I guess the cutouts are a bit different. I never noticed.

Zelja, in this guitar the TVs seem a little warmer and smoother than the originals. I think they are a little lower in output, as well. The two guitars really don't sound all that different, thiugh. However, the lead pickup in the 62 is very bright by itself.

Zelja

Reaction score
Thanks dhd. I have a '61 and am looking to replace at least the neck PU with a T-Armond as the original is too boomy. I really like the bridge PU (especially the lows & mids) but if it was a little less bright on the top end I'd probably prefer it. Luckily I may be able to get a set to try from a friend before ordering.