A lurker's first post: my newest Guilds

Reaction score
I've been lurking here for quite some time and I felt it right to just register and post my gear.

I really love my Guild acoustics. I (can) build my own electrics, so no Guild there. Archtops aren't my thing, so you won't find them in my collection, but as far as acoustics go: Guild. I used to play a Larrivee L03 and a D03R but these Guilds blow them out of the water.

First, let's start with the CO-2C. I really liked the sweetness of that one. It was my first Guild and a replacement for my L03. It's just richer, deeper, warmer and so much more personal (and more 'woody') than the L03. The second was the Doyle Dykes 6 string. I needed another one as my 'main' acoustic. Now, it's just there cause I love the looks so much and the tone well... yeah, great. Very bright, very articulated, very woody again. But not harsh! I tried Doyle's old Taylor and that one is so harsh to my ears. Dunno why.

Then, yesterday...

The Orpheum and the DD12. All I can say is, the Larrivee D03R is relegated to an early retirement. That one was my main guitar for so long but always sounded a bit 'off'. Not as creamy as I wanted, not as boomy as I wanted. Slightly shrill if I may say so. The Orpheum is just like the D03R but SO much better. More balls, more power, more sweetness. but not boomy! I never have been a fan of dreads but after I tried the new D55 on the '17 NAMM show, I was sold: that's what a Dread should sound and feel like.

The DD12 is just a sensible choice for a 12 string. I mean... no guitar collection is complete without a 12 string.

All I really want is a F47R, but unless I can find that one second hand for a decent price, I kinda have to hope for it being rereleased by CMG...

I hope you like what you're seeing :)

Edit:

Guys, I have replied to y'all but my posts aren't posted. Dunno why.

Last edited:

Cabarone

Reaction score
Welcome! Nice stable you got there...I'm partial to 12 strings and that's a nice-looking one...

jim777

Reaction score
DAYUMM! Those are some beautiful guitars! I want to say the Orpheum looks fantastic but really they all do. I bet the DD6 plays as fast as an electric :) How is the neck on the Orpheum? I've never played one but I've heard they are a bit on the thick side.

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Welcome and congrats on the line up (and on the successful pic posting from the start) :)

Reaction score
Hi guys,

thanks for the kind words! I'll be posting more of all of them, just wanted to give you a heads's start :)

I have been a member on guitar forums for years so I kinda know what people absolutely hate on forums (questions like: hey guys I wanna buy a guild, is it better than xxx, or: hey guys, I was wondering, what's the difference between rosewood and mahogany). You can research so much on your own nowadays! I am looking at forums as a way of sharing stuff that's not as easily researched (i.e.: Google won't give you a definitive answer within 5 minutes!) as well as building tiny communities around one common love or goal. In this case: green pluche. Uhm... Guild guitars!

About your questions: nah, the Orpheum has a meaty neck but really a superthick one. I'll measure it later when I get home from work.

The DD6 plays FAST (I set it up REALLY REALLY low: 1mm on the high E 12th fret, 1.3mm on the low E 12th fret). I play a lot of finger picking on that one and some medium strumming so that's fine by me. The Orpheum is a great one too, but slightly less easy. Still: easy!

Just to have this put out there on this forum once and for all: I do build my own guitars (under my own name) but I won't commercialize my own stuff here because I'm here for Guilds, not my own stuff.

Neal

Reaction score
Wow. When I first joined this forum, I had two lower-end Guilds.

You come busting up in here with the cream of the crop!

Beautiful stuff.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice assortment of Guild acoustics!
I too am a fan of the L-03...
welcome

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Welcome Orpheo and congrats on a Very Nice group of Guilds! All I can say is be careful with the "All I want now is a F47". That is a slippery slope (or Orpheum 12 fret slope as I see you already have the 14 fret model) as Guild Acoustics can be somewhat contagious. They are a Gateway Drug to themselves, LOL! Another thing to avoid is leaving them alone in a dark room out of the cases together. They have a bad habit of rubbing up on each other when you are not looking and before you know it they are multiplying everywhere. I can attest to that. Once again Welcome and nice first Post, Look forward to hearing more from you in the future.

TX

ClaytonS15

Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome and beautiful guitars! You're making me want to get myself another 12 string- I haven't had one for years since I stupidly sold my sunburst F112...

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thanks for the kind words and warm welcome!

I've been on many forums over the years so I think I kinda know what people hate when a newby comes in. Questions that are easily googled , no pics, incomplete sentences, etc.

To answer a few questions:

- the Orpheum has a meaty neck but no where as thick as the proverbial baseball bat. Compare it to a modern westerly D-150 and you get a decent idea.

The DD6 as well as the CO2C play like buttah. I've set them up with a really low action: 1mm on high e 12th fret. 1,3mm low e.

I do want more, always. But the best thing of building my own guitars is that I can build almost everything I want :D except acoustics.

dbirchett

Reaction score
Nice guitars. I also have Larrivees and like them a lot. But I bet your Guilds are great!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
All I really want is a F47R, but unless I can find that one second hand for a decent price, I kinda have to hope for it being rereleased by CMG...

Welcome aboard!
Can't tell from the photo but I assume your DD-6 is a maple, if you're still looking for an F47R?
And I rarely covet other guys' guitars but those photos sure give me twinges!
:glee:

Reaction score
(For some reason, my replies are being delayed...)

The DD6 is indeed the maple version. The "real" version, imho hehe

Treem

Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome to LTG! You belong here! :glee: