LTG new comer with a JF30 on the way

Allen Huang

Reaction score
Hi, Guild fans. This is Allen from Taiwan ;)
First post here. Nice to meet you all
I've been a huge fan of Jeff Buckley, who played and recorded several songs with a 1967 F-50, which belongs to a New York producer Steve Addabbo.
However, either a 60's or a modern used f50 is too expensive for me. So eventually I bought a JF30 which I'll get this Saturday.
My friend who helped collected this guitar for me recorded a clip. Now I'm drooling all over the place
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMvsfS4BEvg&t=399s

bobouz

Reaction score
A good JF-30 can most definitely be a beautiful thing.

Congrats & enjoy!

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome to LTG, Allen!! Congrats on a very popular and super nice Guild!! Can't wait to hear what you think of it.... :encouragement:

tarheelguild

Reaction score
Speaking of the JF30, there is a nice one on Reverb from '97 with a cedar top. Anyone know anything about cedar tops and how they differ in sound from spruce? It sure is 'purty!!
Tony

'96 D4 NT
"96 D25 CH
'98 D225 NT (same as D25 12)
'84 D40 NT
'00 Taylor 414ce

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Speaking of the JF30, there is a nice one on Reverb from '97 with a cedar top. Anyone know anything about cedar tops and how they differ in sound from spruce? It sure is 'purty!!
Tony

'96 D4 NT
"96 D25 CH
'98 D225 NT (same as D25 12)
'84 D40 NT
'00 Taylor 414ce
See Mr Cozad's post #15 in this threa, that guitar's come up recently along with a couple of other cedar-tops.
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?192701-Mark-IV-wood-ID

BTW to the OP: Welcome aboard Allen!

Reaction score
Welcome Allen, and congrats on you purchase! (I like the JF30 so much, I have 2 of them!)
I watched the video, and from the limited view, it looks nice..and sounds great!
We anxiously await your report...and pictures!

And welcome to the world of Guild GAS! :)

Allen Huang

Reaction score
First impression on my JF30

Guild fans,

I got to meet my JF30 yesterday. Quick conclusion: loud, warm, & balanced, ultimate axe for strumming. Fast response with great string definition.
I am very very satisfied as I mostly buy it to strum. I should've got it a decade earlier.

DEWFfha.jpg

I61tbe4.jpg

FzZS5bJ.jpg

Detailed story: my friend, who helped collect jf30, has a Gibson Original jumbo RI. I used to play and loved that Gibson so we naturally jammed with both. That OJ RI has the classic Gibson-esque but much deeper sound with longer and natural sustain + excellent definition and dynamic. In the comparison the Guild demonstrated very well why Guild is many folk singer's choice. For fingerstyle, JF30 may be only slightly better than beginner's $150 guitar. Once you strum it with a medium or a thick pick, JF30 becomes unbeatable(maybe beatable by a F50 or F50R). Its strumming sound is so full that soundscape is never empty, so balanced that no certain frequency can be ever too much, so dynamic that I can express my playing well.

Playability on the first 5 frets is fine although it gets pretty high above 10th. Its saddle has been cut low so the break angle on 1st and 2nd string seem too small. I'm gonna swap it for bone saddle soon. A heavy and huge guitar but I can handle it.

The look: The maple arch back to me is a strangely beautiful feature. The neck looks sexy as well. I prefer ebony for fingerboard but rosewood won't bother me. Guild headstock is very good looking.

Side note: I've played Martin 000-om, Eastman E20D, Maton SRS808, Ginson Original Jumbo RI, Ayers ACSF, Epiphone EJ200, Veelah V57, Taylor 414. This JF30 is the first acoustic that really "does it" for me. Now I seriously consider another jumbo from Guild.