v cable for electrics?

dougdnh

Reaction score
This may be a bizarre question, but my biggest problem with most 2 pickup guitars is the lack of a master volume, which is very handy if you play with both pickups on. Anyhow, i now see that Taylor sells a guitar cable with a built in volume control. I wonder if this would work on something like a bluesbird?

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sure - a master volume is nothing more than a potentiometer in the signal before the output jack. Putting a pot outside the output jack is no different from a signal perspective.

Just make sure that the cable you're looking at is passive, or if it's active make sure it's OK to use with an electric. Though I don't see why it wouldn't be, if it's active then it will provide boost and you probably won't want that.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I use an Electro-Harmonix Signal Pad to tame hotter output guitars when playing through a rig tweaked for lower output instruments. It's basically just a volume pot in a pedal. It lets me use my favorite vol/tone knob configs on the guitar without having to adjust for the rig. But the Signal Pad is intended to work with line level signals and, out of the box, will roll off the guitar's high end as you back off the volume. So I modded it with a treble bleed network (cap + resistor), which works great.

(Note: my more typical approach is to set up pedals & amp(s) for higher output instruments and then use a boost pedal with lower output stuff.)

-Dave-

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I have one of the Taylor V-cables. It is passive. I use it on acoustic/electric guitars that have no easily accessible volume pot. Never used it on an electric but I can't see why it wouldn't work.