bought the strange s200

Reaction score
my curiosity got the best of me and i purchased the "strange" s200 from south korea that was on ebay after he accepted a lower price than the starting bid price.it plays very nicely and is in better shape than i expected.funny,there werent any import dutys or fees assessed to mebut im not complaining.the headstock is an eighth of an inch narrower than my other s100s.does anyone out there have an s200 with diamond inlays?id love to see any photos of other s200s out there!

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
there shouldn't be any import fees on a USA made instrument returning to the US.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I went to his site but only saw photos of his thunderbird style s200

Well by golly I believe you're right but it's mentioned in this thread along with another one with the diamond inlays:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?180877-fs-ft-1973-S-200&highlight=S200

I thought there was also a more recent discussion like in the past month but can't find it now.
Just remembered, think it was mis-identifed as an S100 at first, caused some confusion till folks caught on.

Last edited:
Reaction score
thanks for the info. thats a beauty!is that black?.im glad to know there are a few others out there.thought i might have a fretboard that had been replaced or something

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
thanks for the info. thats a beauty!is that black?

Yep, believe it is..
im glad to know there are a few others out there.thought i might have a fretboard that had been replaced or something
That was precisely what threw some of us off recently, that it was ID'd as an S-100 but had the diamond inlays and in fact was missing the "railroad tracks", so there was some question about originality until it was ID'd as an S200.
Ahh, here's that recent thread:
http://letstalkguild.com/ltg/showth...-Diamond-Inlays-1800-opening-2340-BIN-on-Ebay

Looks like it flew under your radar due to the S-100 header, but the last post directed back to your "Strange S-100 sighting" thread.

Throw "S200" into the search box in upper right corner of home page and it'll come back with no less than 75 hits.
Admittedly there's a lot of Thunderbird threads but most of those are easily ID'd by the title or year mentioned.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
What are railroad tracks?Is it neck binding with a black stripe running down the middle?

It's the inlay by the edges of the fretboard only found on top-of-the-line Guilds like the F50 and D55, and yes it is w/b/w:

guild-ebony-guitar-fingerboard-repair-binding.jpg

Not sure if it's actually binding material or not, but I think even if it is, it's only as "thick" (deep) as the stuff they use for rosettes

Reaction score
That's one sweet looking guitar.mine has no sign of ever having railroad tracks and it doesn't look like the fretboard has been has resurfaced.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Al!! That's the scariest fretboard photo I've ever seen!! WTF??? I mean, there are RRtrx but what happened??? :grief:

(I mean obviously someone is trying to get the neck off.... I HOPE.... but that's the best example of RRTrx you could find?)