Question About Instrument Tuners

AoxoA

Reaction score
I have a really old needle gauge tuner that sometimes doesn't work. Searching for a new one to help me tune an acoustic guitar (without a pickup). I saw a Snark "super tight" clip on tuner at the store.

The instructions have a warning:
"do not use on any Gibson guitar or guitar with nitrocellulose finish" and "Snark advises not to use its tuner with...nitrocellulose finishes, unless you accept the risk of dents to the Headstock. We recommend using the Snark SN-10 pedal tuner instead of the Snark clip on tuners for these guitars and finishes"​

What tuner do you use or recommend?

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
We've got an older Snark. The vibration mode has stopped working so we just turn it on, clip it to a music stand, tune and turn it off. We are in the collection of people who get really upset when someone else leaves something clipped to a headstock so we don't do that and so have not experienced dents or finish issues

We have a couple of these which I actually prefer if the room is quiet enough to use the mic or if I am already plugging in.

CA40-large.jpg

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I use Snarks, but don't leave them clipped to the headstock fir extended periods of time. It may be that the pads interact with some finishes, so Snack made a blanket statement about use.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have many, although Snarks are my go to. I don't like the look of a tuner on a headstock, so I don't leave them on when not tuning.
For everyone's interest: I received a bonus Guild tuner that has an interesting feature. It comes on only when it's clipped onto the headstock; so it'd be impossible to leave it on, unless you want to drain the battery.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Another vote for Snark. As mentioned above, I don't leave it on the guitar.

walrus

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I use a Delta Lab CT-30 clip on tuner that are available online or at Guitar Center. Lots of features such as a Metronome and different tuning settings for alternate tunings. I also don't leave it clipped to the headstock for extended periods. I only use it if I am playing straight acoustic around the house. If I am using it I clip it on making sure the headstock is clean of fingerprints, Dust, or anything that may scratch the finish. Once I am done tuning I remove it. It also has an automatic shut off if it has not been used for a certain period of time so you don't run down the battery.

If I am out playing live or my guitar has a pickup I use my Boss TU-2 chromatic pedal tuner. I have one on my pedal board for my electrics and a separate one for my acoustics when I am on Stage. They are powered by either a plug in power supply or a 9 volt battery.

TX

AoxoA

Reaction score
I have many, although Snarks are my go to. I don't like the look of a tuner on a headstock, so I don't leave them on when not tuning.
For everyone's interest: I received a bonus Guild tuner that has an interesting feature. It comes on only when it's clipped onto the headstock; so it'd be impossible to leave it on, unless you want to drain the battery.

This one

2mxn2o7.jpg

Cabarone

Reaction score
This is crazy; I just posted the same thing on Gibson's forum...everyone said just take it off as soon as you're tuned.... Was thinking about putting a handkerchief in between and seeing if it still works...in the meantime I'm satisfied w/my old-school one...

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have an older Korg tuner like frono but I was constantly leaving it on and going through so many 9 volt batteries!! So I just downloaded the Pano Tuner app to my iPhone. Now that's what I use all the time. It works for me, and it was free! But then, I don't play out so.... that's a consideration.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I use the iOS Peterson strobe too. Also have an accessory for it that lets me do the clip-on-headstock thing, though I get the best result with acoustic guitars by using my iGizmos' mics when possible. (None of my acoustics have built-in pickups.)

-Dave-

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
For electric, I generally use the tuner in the Axe-FX which is great. My favorite pedal tuner is the Turbo Tuner:

41aPT3uBpTL.jpg

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
...Peterson Strobe tuner...
I use the iOS Peterson strobe too...
Another vote for Peterson's iStroboSoft (on an iPhone, though they also have an Android version).

For the headstock clip-on crowd, Peterson's mighty StroboClip HD does *not* come with a "do not leave attached" warning. I checked with Peterson, and they said that, while they’ve never had a complaint about finish damage, that would be subject to the following:

Normal use of a clip-on tuner like the StroboClip will not have any effect, almost all of our "acoustic lab guitars" at Peterson have nitrocellulose finishes. However, avoid leaving any tuner on the headstock permanently, or for long periods (in the case etc.). This goes for any object such as capos, clip-on and suction-cup pick-ups and tuners.

Apart from any physical damage, nitro finish darkens with age when exposed to daylight. If there is an area which is covered or masked by an object attached to the guitar, that area will not darken in tandem with the remainder of the guitar's finished surface.

Due to the above and also due to the variations from luthier to luthier and brand to brand when it comes to finishes, we cannot be liable for any finish damage caused in whole or in part from prolonged attachment with the contact surfaces of the StroboClip.

In short, whatever it is, take it off your guitar after you're done playing. Don't "store" or "park" anything on your nitro-finished guitar.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
In a quiet location, the Petersen iStroboSoft works very well. When I need a clip on, I like the TC electronics Polytune.

ImageGen.ashx

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I was also curious about Snark's "nitro finish" disclaimer, i.e., "might as well not use this on your guitar..." I bought one, but I only use it briefly.

I still have my old "Intellitouch" original tuner, it's probably 15 years old now but still works like a champ and only on it's 2nd or 3rd set of batteries! And it came with it's own hardshell carry case, what's not to like about that? It was $50 at the time, but a good investment I might say.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...NPTAhVJ_IMKHXjSA9IQMwh3KA4wDg&iact=mrc&uact=8

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I was also curious about Snark's "nitro finish" disclaimer, i.e., "might as well not use this on your guitar..." I bought one, but I only use it briefly.

I don't think the problem with the Snarks is any sort of chemical interaction, but rather that the clip may cause "dents" in the finish on the headstock. I've seen headstocks with these marks and I think that if you remove the tuner after using it you'll probably avoid any problems.

Personally, my "go-to" acoustic has a built-in tuner (DD-6) and with electric guitars I usually use a floor tuner in the pedal board.

My main issue with Snark tuners is the tendency for the little rubber pads on the clip to fall off and get lost.

If I owned a manufacturing company that produced ANYTHING that comes in contact with nitro (most often found on expensive vintage guitars) I would include a disclaimer, too.