Pointy!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
With regard to the M85 TRC discussed elsewhere, any comments? This is clearly cut to mimic the headstock and oriented properly but it sort of looks like the end by the nut mirrors the traditional headstock.

Anybody besides me notice the TRC in post #16 is triangular?

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Anybody besides me notice the TRC in post #16 is triangular?

I think at some point they either ran out of just converted them all to simple (cheap) covers. My other Aviator guitars all have very simple plain covers. It's hard to see on this black headstock, but it's basically a very thin piece of trapezoidal plastic. It's not at all like the others that are more like pick guard material.

Guild-S270-Flyer-Headstock.jpg

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
thought those were designed like that to accommodate the lock nuts...or not.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
OK ya got me. What's a parallel headstock?

My guess would be one with no break angle. The X73 has a pretty severe angle in relation to the fretboard, while the S70 one shown is more or less parallel to the fretboard.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
My guess would be one with no break angle. The X73 has a pretty severe angle in relation to the fretboard, while the S70 one shown is more or less parallel to the fretboard.

Aha! Thus the "retaining locks" next to the nut.
And it looks like French's X-79 has those.
So (what Jane meant, I think) they must have needed to use something thin enough to fit under the reduced string clearance?

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Aha! Thus the "retaining locks" next to the nut.
And it looks like French's X-79 has those.
So (what Jane meant, I think) they must have needed to use something thin enough to fit under the reduced string clearance?

The lock by the nut is for the Kahler to make it double-locking for tuning stability, but yeah, there's not a lot of room under the strings.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
My early run Aviator has the same triangular shaped thin plastic truss rod cover and mine also has the string locks at the nut as well. It is all factory hardware and trimmings as I am the first owner and bought it NOS with the original strings, hang tags, case, and clear plastic film still on the pickguard.

TX

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Dang I'm learning something.

When the "Dive-Bomb" tremolos came out they would knock the guitar out of tune. So they put locking nuts on the neck and fine tuners on the tremolo.

The locking nuts are a pain to change strings, so the next step was locking tuners like Sperzel.

ht6ltlcp-xl-01.jpg

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
If you're not using the trem you can have it blocked and switch out the lock nut for a standard nut of your choice...guitar will play fine...easy to change out a string when necessary...and you still have the fine tuners at the bridge end...come in handy sometimes...had the Setzer bluesbird I used to have set up that way.

Note: if you have problems with the straight pull headstock due to your playing style after such a modification, you can always add string trees...like on a strat.

Last edited:

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Re. blocking Strat-type vibratos: having set up a bunch of "Strats" recently, I've found a stack of quarters wrapped in masking tape makes a great block. :) (Substitute a large-ish but not too thick coin for the quarters if you live outside North America.)

-Dave-