Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I did it... for science!

Guild-70s-HB1-Dismantled1.jpg

70's

Reaction score
Very Cool!! Notice the unusual feature of the square-shaped pole pieces in the slug coil. Wonder how this may affect features of the magnetic field and possibly the sound?

matsickma

Reaction score
Are those square slugs bar magnets pole pieces combined with a large bar magnet for induction of the coils?
Very interesting.

M

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I thought you were making a pickup for a five string bass, that splits the difference between four and six...

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
GAD!!!!! Please gave some consideration, kids may be watching. (I know they are enjoying it but still....)

Opsimath

Reaction score
Concerning the possibility of kids watching, I've heard that if they've seen it before it doesn't matter, and if they haven't seen it before they don't know what it is anyway.

Since I don't know what it is anyway, does that make me a kid?

P.S. What is that?

Los Angeles

Reaction score
Guild Total
Now wait just a minute there. Do the 4 square slugs in the middle have some kind of seat on that steel plate? And the outer two don't?

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
P.S. What is that?

It's a vintage Guild HB-1 pickup dismantled for my voyeuristic pleasure. And now all of yours.

Are those square slugs bar magnets pole pieces combined with a large bar magnet for induction of the coils?
Very interesting.

M

I wondered that myself. The slugs are not magnetic.

Now wait just a minute there. Do the 4 square slugs in the middle have some kind of seat on that steel plate? And the outer two don't?

Nope, though I wondered that too at first. When I pulled the coil up the four center slugs remained due to the pull from the bar magnet exceeding the holding force of the pickup bobbin. The outside two slugs are held fast in the pickup bobbin.

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Concerning the possibility of kids watching, I've heard that if they've seen it before it doesn't matter, and if they haven't seen it before they don't know what it is anyway.
True dat. Offensiveness is an adulthood inherent deviance.

Since I don't know what it is anyway, does that make me a kid?
Yes. Or a deviance-free adult.

matsickma

Reaction score
Now you did it! I may need to discect some pickups. I think I'll start with a Fender era HB-1!

I have some knowledge of magnetic circuits but am rusty. Basic EE course on motors, etc and a graduate courses on Electroacoustic Transducers that I audited back in my youth may help me understand this. Sounds like I know what I'll be doing this weekend. ✂📏🔬😋

matsickma

Reaction score
GAD, Are the square slugs ferrite (i.e. ceramic) or a metallic ALINCO type material? You might be able to tell if you scratched the side if the square rod and see a shiney material.

M

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Are you going to count the coil winds?

Maybe, but that's quite destructive. Also, the number of winds combined with the gauge and type of the wire is part of the magic and I'm not sure I'd be able to determine the gauge, although, I do have a microscope and I could compare it with known gauges...

GAD, Are the square slugs ferrite (i.e. ceramic) or a metallic ALINCO type material? You might be able to tell if you scratched the side if the square rod and see a shiney material.

M

I'll check.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total

M

They appear to be metallic give the positive "shiny bits under a scratch" test.