Guild B-401 bass conflicting serial numbers, does anybody know?

Reaction score
Hi guys, my name is Chris I'm from Austin Texas. I'm new here but not new to Guild guitars and I'd like to ask some questions to some of the experts here, if possible.

I bought this B-401 bass 22+ years ago in Los Angeles and was told that it was made in 1980 and is supposed to be fairly rare.
I went on Guild's official website and there is some conflicting information on there.

The serial # stamped on the headstock is BD100151. According to Guild's website the 1980 B-401's start with BD100212, no mention of B-401's being made before 1980. Anybody know more?
Thanks, Chris.

Reaction score
Man, I just realized I put this in the wrong area, can this post please be moved to the correct place. Thanks Chris. Sorry about that.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Man, I just realized I put this in the wrong area, can this post please be moved to the correct place. Thanks Chris. Sorry about that.

Hi Chris welcome aboard!
I think your question's gonna be answered before moving it's necessary, and we're pretty loose about that kind of stuff anyway, but for sure it would probably get a lot more views in the appropriate forum.
In any case, note the fine print above that part of the s/n listing:
the s/n's shown are the last number produced in each year, so yours fits comfortably in the '80 slot.
We do know that there are errors in those charts, but I don't think that's the case here.
It's also possible that if they started building 'em in very late '79 they still wouldn't show up until the '80 build listing, but I think the real question's answered now.
:friendly_wink:
Edit: Aha! I see our guru Hans slipped in while I was still composing, LOL!

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Duh :) Got it backwards. So, does the serial numbers start with BD100001 then, and only 151 B-401's where made in 1980 and 123 in 1981? Thats why I was told they where rare, but that could also mean sales of these basses sucked in 80-81. Thanks for you're help. I dig mine, although it weights aton.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Duh :) Got it backwards. So, does the serial numbers start with BD100001 then,
Probably so, but Hans is actually our expert for those kinds of questions.
It's possible that not all of the serial numbers left the factory.

and only 151 B-401's where made in 1980 and 123 in 1981?
Actually I read it as 212 were recorded in 1980 and another 123 in '81, for 335 total.
That's why I was told they where rare, but that could also mean sales of these basses sucked in 80-81. Thanks for you're help. I dig mine, although it weights a ton.
It's pretty rare by any standard but the bass guys could probably tell you if there was some reason for it not being a great seller.
Suggest starting a new thread over in bass for better response.
Just introduce yourself with the pics and ask the question.

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello guild401! Welcome to the Forum.

First off you should be honored to have Hans Moust answer your dating question. He literally wrote the book on Guilds.

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Bo...the+guild+guitar+book&sortby=17&an=hans+moust

As for the rarity of your bass, yes they started with BD100001. The thing is they used the same serial number for both the B-401 and B-402 models. So combined there were 335 made. Unless Hans has it in a ledger book, there is no way to tell how many of each model were produced. Unfortunately with Guilds, just because they're rare, it doesn't make them valuable!

I happen to have two B-402's

I acquired this one first:

rt122.jpg

Then I got this one to match my other Ash bodied B-Series Basses:

100_6504.jpg

B-300s.jpg

If you're looking to sell your's cheap, let me know!

Reaction score
Probably so, but Hans is actually our expert for those kinds of questions.
It's possible that not all of the serial numbers left the factory.

Actually I read it as 212 were recorded in 1980 and another 123 in '81, for 335 total.

It's pretty rare by any standard but the bass guys could probably tell you if there was some reason for it not being a great seller.
Suggest starting a new thread over in bass for better response.
Just introduce yourself with the pics and ask the question.

Of course 212 not 151. I'll get the hang of this rational thinking thing soon.

Reaction score
And, now I see there where different pick up, switch and potentiometer combinations available too. Thanks @the guilds of grot and @hansmoust