I Don't Get It

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
I realize that during its history, Guild has sometimes been inconsistent in naming some of its models, but the latest announcement that when their jumbo 12 strings begin to be made in Oxnard, both will be named "F-512", except that the maple version will have an "M" attached. Their logic escapes me. Why fool around with two of their iconic models? Why drop the F-412 model name?

Last edited:

merlin6666

Reaction score
Indeed, the new naming convention could easily have accommodated 40 = Spruce/Mahogany OR Maple (F-Shape) which would then restrict Mahogany to all non Fs and exclude Fs from having a Mahogany body.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I think it does make sense... kinda.

Let's try this: The F-50 used to be the just the F-50 (maple, as originally made in the 50s) or, later, the F-50R when the rosewood variant came out. If we acknowledge that the 512 is the 12-string version of the F-50, then it does make sense. In that "special" Guild sorta way.

Might've been better to call the rosewood model the F-512R and just F-512 for maple, but the 512 has always been rosewood. So, no clear path to consistency existed, anyway.

But I agree that there seems to be no good reason to not stick with 412 and 512. Except that advertisers have trained us to think something with a higher number is somehow better?

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I've railed against a lot of Cordoba's renaming schemes. Don't rename something that is already known. But, it is what it is.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I can only hope for more confusing nomenclature as it just adds to Guild's infamous iconic history. Got to start saving for a F512M soon...

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Try researching '80s solid bodies, then tell me which guitar is the "Flyer" or the "Sprite". Hell, look at how many guitars are "Bluesbirds".

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
OMG, Guild has just changed the iconic designation, F-50, to f**king F-55! :highly_amused:

Actually they did it shortly after they finally started production when they told us what the production schedule by model plan was.
And like others said there was almost always confusion or inconsistency in Guild's numbering system(s).
One thing ya gotta admit is that there'll be no confusion about where an F55 was built, or with the MIC stuff.
As long as you don't confuse it with a Ferrari.
Comparisons with which would probably be entirely appropriate, anyway.

Got to start saving for a F512M soon...
The car or the guitar?
:biggrin-new: