Floating Bridge - must the saddle be offset like the original?

Reaction score
My guitar is a T-100D and I noticed the replacement bridge I ordered is nearly all in one line, from low E to high E, while my original is staggered. Any effect on the intonation with using the replacement bridge?

Thanks

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
You could simple angle the new bridge , slightly, to allow for proper intonation. That assumes that the intonation IS off, with the new bridge installed.

gilded

Reaction score
First of all, did you order a Bigsby bridge or another brand? This is the kind of situation where pictures would really help, but not everybody wants to learn how to get pics onto an LTG thread until they've been around here for awhile, so no worries!

The original staggered bridge is probably set up for a wound G string, which means that in order for it to be as close to intonated as it will get, you'll need a set of .11s or .12s with a wound G string, not a plain G string.

Again, if you'll send us the details on the new bridge, we'll try and help you figure it out.

gilded

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Also is the new one adjustable or does it look like this?

compton-guitar-bridge-stainless-steel-gibson.png

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
With any floating bridge, when you change strings, or install it, you want to check the intonation on the two outside E strings. That's what will determine the angle, regardless of the make/style of bridge. Check at the 12th fret that both the harmonic and fretted note are the same with a tuner. If the fretted note is sharp, angle that side towards the nut, away from the bridge. If its flat, go the other way. It will be a back and forth between the two strings until they are both intonated. Then, when you next change strings, use a little painters tape to mark the position (or change one string at a time so the bridge doesn't move.)