NGD - NS X-175 Sunburst

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I picked up this guitar, new with warranty, on eBay, and as someone mentioned, the seller must have been associated with Music Store Live. A cleaning cloth and sticker came with the guitar, along with a spare bridge and trussrod tool. No registration card, however. I have never purchased a new guitar, besides my Yamaha Silent guitar, so I don't know if it was supposed to or not. I may e-mail Guild and ask.

A quick tune up and play tells me that I do prefer the deeper tones from flat wound strings. The stock ones are brighter sounding and maybe a little louder. Intonation seems right on and the action seems the same as my other one. I did a quick sustain test and didn't hear much of a difference between the Guildsby bridge and arm vs the harp on the new one.

The color of the sunburst is deeper than some of the pictures online, which is a good thing. I don't like bright western style bursts. The sides and back have a nice mahogany red tone to them. So, I am happy with the looks.

I think the hardware on the case may be a bight lighter weight than the stuff on the case I got with the NS X-175B. The shape of the hinges are a little different shape too. Speaking of weight, I noticed the lack of some weight without the whammy bar , which is not a bad thing.

So, without any further ado... here is a quick phone snap shot of the guitar, before I played it. I'll break out the real camera later.

NS_X175_Burst.JPG

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Now, how to get the foam piece out from under the bridge without messing up the intonation.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Now, how to get the foam piece out from under the bridge without messing up the intonation.

I just reintonate every time I change strings. After you do it 300 times it becomes second nature. :tongue:

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I cut a piece of card board the width to fit tight between the pickup and the bridge, then loosened the strings JUUUST enough to lift the bridge and wiggle the foam strip out. If I make one out of plastic and keep it in the case, I'll always have a spacer.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
congratulations! I always make sure my bridges don't move - on the vintage guitars I use sandpaper glued under the bridge feet facing the body, or very thin double sided tape. On my NS one, I put two screws through the bridge base. Doesn't sound any different, and guitar stays in tune much better.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Retro,

Quite probably. I need to put the flat wound strings , like I have on the B model, to do a side by side compare, to make sure which one sounds the best.

John