Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My new up coming custom build

My new up coming custom build

Hi folks , a long while back going a year or so I guess in the acoustic/electric I mentioned I wanted a custom build .

I ended up with a cheating wife that put the whole journey of gaining knowledge learning what tone woods do what how they interact and complement each other and if course this new guitar so long story short it's build is underway .

Many say I deserve this guitar some said write it off as a loss . I'm at odds as this is a once in a life time build there is no turning back now so all I can hope for is I honar this guitar and it shares my joys and tolerates my playing lol

I've listened to many guitars to help guide me tonally and it's been decided that she'll be African Black Wood back and sides.

In speaking with my Luthier I told my desire for having the now rare and famous Lucky strike Redwood as my top . He kindly said that's it unuptainium and that he has very high grade Redwood in stock . I asked if I could dig around and I found it can I have him check it out .

Well he was not fond or that was my interpretation and I could blame him for being a little put off as it's not wood he knows or from his trusted suppliers and not knowing if it's been properly dried etc .

But he was open to it so off I went not knowing if I could find it but to my luck I did and even though I was a little nervous I snatched it up ( once I set my mind on something it's heck bent for leather lol )

I mailed it to my Luthier he checked it out and I got one big WOW ! As a response so I took that as a thumbs up ! Haha

Ok so ABW back and sides with Lucky Strike Redwood for the top .

I call her my Stealth baby for now .
    Her appointments

Cut a way
    Arm bevel
    Eboney fretboard and bridge
    Evo gold frets
    Special order top of the line Schaller Grandtune 21:1 from Germany In Stealth of coarse .
    Cocobolo binding
    Cocobolo top plate on tuning head
    Eboney back plate both bound in Ebony I believe .
    Forgot the bracing is Redwood as well . Ben informs me that this Redwood though not the LS was a rarity as well .
    Seems it's stiffer and lighter then Sitka so he went with it .

There will be no fancy inlays less 3 small dot markers at the 12 fret in the fret board .

She's diffently a special instrument.
    The link is to photo album easier to do then loading up all the pics .

My builder is none other then the amazing Ben Wilborn of Wilborn guitars .

http://s775.photobucket.com/user/agr...stealth%20baby
    Last edited by Rayk; 04-20-2017 at 11:58 PM.

Ray, love the guitar. That pic of inside of guitar is sweet! Congrats! Looks to be finished soon. Month?

That's gonna be a beauty, Ray!! Can't wait to hear you play it!!
    Tom in Vegas

Use the good china. Life itself is the special occasion.

Guild D65s, 1994
    Guild DV72, 1994
    Taylor GC8, 2011
    Breedlove Oregon Concert Rogue 4/12/2016
    Washburn EA-20 "Festival Series", 1995

Quote Originally Posted by Westerly Wood View Post
    Ray, love the guitar. That pic of inside of guitar is sweet! Congrats! Looks to be finished soon. Month?
    From his update it could be next week less cure time from the booth but soon . :)

Holy smokes, dude! That thing is a work of art. Grand Orchestra-sized?

The rosette is to die for.
    Neal

'53 "X-150" Redburst
    '54 X-200-S SB
    '71 F-20 NT ("Tonya")
    '71 D-25 BR
    '73 D-35 NT
    '81 D-212 SB

Others: '34 Martin 0-18K, '34 Martin 0-17, '74 Dobro Round-Neck Resonator (wood), '87 Dobro Square-Neck Resonator (wood), '04 Huss & Dalton TD-R, '07 Rockbridge Adi/Mahogany dreadnought, '14 Huss & Dalton DS Crossroads, Tele Partscaster.

Thanks guys . I adjust the post a tad as I added that she'll sport special Redwood bracing which caught my eye not knowing what it was I asked Ben then he told me he had this rare stock of especially stiff Redwood which out does Sitka in stiffness and and it's lighter so since had some left in it went ... Bliss ! Lol

Davisman it be pleasure to post a tune with if excepted not being Guild lol

Neal you never write never say hi boy oh boy lol

Bens Gloria model which this is , is his combo of a Martin orchestra and dread so it's sized inbetween . I can't remember she might be a tad thicker/ deeper
    as well .

Go to bens site and look through the vids for Gloria the one I'm referring to is called the Bee .
    Listen to it's tone then get back to me :)
    Last edited by Rayk; 04-21-2017 at 12:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayk View Post
    From his update it could be next week less cure time from the booth but soon . :)
    For Tom: The guitar could be done sometimes next week, the variable is how long it will take the finish to fully cure.

Great thread Ray! Can't wait to hear the finished product......
    Last edited by bluesypicky; 04-21-2017 at 12:26 AM.
    D25BR 1972
    DV72 1994
    F212 1975
    S100 1973
    S100 1974 (carved)
    Starfire IV 1966
    X175 1978
    Jetstar 1974

Quote Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post
    In this world there are always those who march to the sound of a different drummer. These wayward marchers go off and break boundaries. Blistering leads on an acoustic. Purple spandex, and proud of it. Gibsons on a Guild forum. But the world is a better place for their pioneering efforts.

HAAAAAA HAAAAA!! Thanks for the assist Pascal!! I actually understood that one, but you never know.....
    Tom in Vegas

Use the good china. Life itself is the special occasion.

Guild D65s, 1994
    Guild DV72, 1994
    Taylor GC8, 2011
    Breedlove Oregon Concert Rogue 4/12/2016
    Washburn EA-20 "Festival Series", 1995

Many say I deserve this guitar some said write it off as a loss .
    You mean to tell us that all you're gonna get for the price of that one guitar is that one guitar?

Evo gold frets
    Ok I'm stumped what the hell is EVO Gold?

There will be no fancy inlays less 3 small dot markers at the 12 fret in the fret board .
    Well if that you hadn't spent all that money on gold frets you could afford something really fancy in there like aces, spades, diamonds and clubs, or my personal favorite, a mudflap girl:

But I guess it's all too late for that now.
    Wish you woulda asked us first, you coulda had some killer bling on that thing.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

That is a beauty, Ray!

walrus
    1984 Guild D64
    2008 PRS Hollowbody Spruce