Now I really want a Liberator

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
After doing way too much research on my Liberator Elite, I've come to the conclusion that I really want a Liberator.

After getting my Flyer, now I really want an Aviator.

See, this is it happens...

And, of course, I can't lust after something that's commonly available. No....

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I Love my NOS condition 1984 Black Aviator. Number 23 made according to the serial number. Got it a few years back when that little music shop in Austin was selling off that Guild Reps collection from back in the 70's-2000's. He was the Top Guild Rep in his region every year and instead of taking cash bonuses he opted for a Guild Guitar each time. Thing was he never learned to play guitar. He liked the way they looked so for 30 years they all just sat in the OHSC's with the plastic still on the pickguard and the Hangtags still on them. Even the case still looks new. Finally he decided it was time to sell so he took them all to Strait music in Austin to put them on consignment. I have not been a big fan of EMG's but they Rock in the Aviator. In the photos those are not scratches on the pickguard but bubbles in the original plastic.

AWNYHD.jpg
f3YsXy.jpg
5WOZby.jpg
LQiq8r.jpg

TX

sfIII

Reaction score
Guild Total
After doing way too much research on my Liberator Elite, I've come to the conclusion that I really want a Liberator.

After getting my Flyer, now I really want an Aviator.

See, this is it happens...

And, of course, I can't lust after something that's commonly available. No....

I got one... let me see what kind of shape it's in.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I Love my NOS condition 1984 Black Aviator. Number 23 made according to the serial number. Got it a few years back when that little music shop in Austin was selling off that Guild Reps collection from back in the 70's-2000's. He was the Top Guild Rep in his region every year and instead of taking cash bonuses he opted for a Guild Guitar each time. Thing was he never learned to play guitar. He liked the way they looked so for 30 years they all just sat in the OHSC's with the plastic still on the pickguard and the Hangtags still on them. Even the case still looks new. Finally he decided it was time to sell so he took them all to Strait music in Austin to put them on consignment. I have not been a big fan of EMG's but they Rock in the Aviator. In the photos those are not scratches on the pickguard but bubbles in the original plastic.

AWNYHD.jpg

TX

Beautiful!

Both my Liberator Elite and S280 Flyer have 1 5/8" necks (just a hair over). Does this?

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Beautiful!

Both my Liberator Elite and S280 Flyer have 1 5/8" necks (just a hair over). Does this?

Thanks GAD, I would say it is closer to 1 11/16 than 1 5/8. I will pull it out and measure it for you today. The neck is lightning fast and extremely comfortable. The action is so low and easy that it plays itself, You just glide over the fretboard.

TX

Black Rooster

Reaction score

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total

Black Rooster

Reaction score
To be honest...i don't like at all this kind of "modern" guitar (Guild or other brand) and neither this kind of color :)
About the price of this Italian Guild....it's ok or not?? i have no idea...never seen before a Guild like this one
P.S i'm a cyclist too...and love the 70' 80' steel frames!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I measured my Aviator neck and it is a full 1 11/16". Just a note, The early Aviators had a "Loaded pickguard" setup similar to a Fender Strat where all the electronics were attached to the pickguard for the first few years of production. After that they switched to a no pickguard everything installed through the top design for the last few years of production.

TX

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I measured my Aviator neck and it is a full 1 11/16". Just a note, The early Aviators had a "Loaded pickguard" setup similar to a Fender Strat where all the electronics were attached to the pickguard for the first few years of production. After that they switched to a no pickguard everything installed through the top design for the last few years of production.

TX

My S280 Flyer from the same era is 1 5/8". Weird. I think Guild had some sort of time machine where any guitar that would eventually end up in GAD's hands had to be made with a 1 5/8" neck.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
My S280 Flyer from the same era is 1 5/8". Weird. I think Guild had some sort of time machine where any guitar that would eventually end up in GAD's hands had to be made with a 1 5/8" neck.

Don't know if it makes any difference but your Flyer is a bolt on neck and the Aviator is a set neck.

TX