"Family photos"

johnny3j

Reaction score
Guild Total
Pics are a right of passage on most guitar forums, so I'm just keeping up the tradition.
I was doing some photo stuff for work and realised I'd never shot my trio of Guilds so here goes :courage:!

I've owned a few Guilds, but these are the ones I've kept.

On the left is my '96 JF55, which I scored about 10 years back on the Southside of Chicago from a friend of a steel guitar friend, I managed to haggle the price to the extent that he threw in a pretty sweet all-koa uke to sweeten the deal!
In the middle is my '72 D25, bought from Jay Pilzer at a guitar show in St. Charles, IL about 15 years ago, always wanted an early 70's all hog Guild dread and this one did not disappoint.
On the right is my '79 F512 which I found in Evanston at Guitar Works after going through a JF30-12 and a D25-12 before that.

ea3cff_97fdbeaff9b245a7b9bbf5ed79c3c407~mv2.webp

They've all got war wounds and have crossed the Atlantic once or twice, but they're keepers and they're all mine :glee:!

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow! Fantastic trio of iconic Guild acoustic guitars. Your D25 flatback, like mine, but yours is redder in hue. Almost cherry. Is the label D25 Ch? Or perhaps that is a trick of the light in the shot, but it sure looks redder. Mine is a '71 but very end of 1971 so probably real close in production to yours. The stain on mine is brown but orangey in hue.
My D25 has changed my approach to guitar playing in general. I have given up far more expensive and well built dreads to keep this one as my one guitar. So, always good to see another in prime shape :). I can only encourage everyone to try to find one of these gems.

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Weirdly, I can't see any photos! But I will take everyone's word for it!

walrus

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Johnny,

Owning 6 and 12 string Rosewood jumbo Guilds is a rite of passage. Add an all-Mahogany D-25 and you are over the top!
Even if the asking price of the 6 string was something of a surprice to you, you ended up with a representation of the best Guild had to offer, I Shwear Down! ;~}

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
Pics are a right of passage on most guitar forums, so I'm just keeping up the tradition.
I was doing some photo stuff for work and realised I'd never shot my trio of Guilds so here goes :courage:!

I've owned a few Guilds, but these are the ones I've kept.

On the left is my '96 JF55, which I scored about 10 years back on the Southside of Chicago from a friend of a steel guitar friend, I managed to haggle the price to the extent that he threw in a pretty sweet all-koa uke to sweeten the deal!
In the middle is my '72 D25, bought from Jay Pilzer at a guitar show in St. Charles, IL about 15 years ago, always wanted an early 70's all hog Guild dread and this one did not disappoint.
On the right is my '79 F512 which I found in Evanston at Guitar Works after going through a JF30-12 and a D25-12 before that.

They've all got war wounds and have crossed the Atlantic once or twice, but they're keepers and they're all mine :glee:!

I can't see the photos...why?

Aristera

Reaction score
Very nice indeed! I see the JF-55 has imperial buttons. Did you change them from the original Grover buttons?

CA-35

Reaction score

Wow what a family pic! Just curious how do the older blond haired brothers get along with the red-headed step child??

johnny3j

Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks to all for the replies!

Your D25 flatback, like mine, but yours is redder in hue. Almost cherry. Is the label D25 Ch? Or perhaps that is a trick of the light in the shot, but it sure looks redder. Mine is a '71 but very end of 1971 so probably real close in production to yours. The stain on mine is brown but orangey in hue.

Trick of the light or white balance I think, the label just says D25 so mine is most likely identical to yours, West. I agree also that the D25 is a gem of a guitar, a real sleeper.

Weirdly, I can't see any photos! But I will take everyone's word for it!

walrus

Sorry for the screw-up, strange that some could see it and some couldn't...Thanks for sorting it, Tom.

Johnny,

Owning 6 and 12 string Rosewood jumbo Guilds is a rite of passage. Add an all-Mahogany D-25 and you are over the top!
Even if the asking price of the 6 string was something of a surprice to you, you ended up with a representation of the best Guild had to offer, I Shwear Down! ;~}

Thanks Chris, I'd love to add a maple Guild again, I had a sunburst JF30-12 very like Cougars, should have kept it!

Johnny,
You mention you've taken your axes "over the Atlantic." How do you convey them through the airlines' system?

Sometimes in proper flight (Anvil) cases, but more often just in the original case, and once in a shipping container when I moved from the US to Ireland. I was very nervous about moving over 20 guitars (at the time) across the pond, some with BRW :cower:, but the moving company was very professional and took care of everything from door to door.

This is what's still with me:

ea3cff_345ae165d3e546b9b6589a62987d206b~mv2.jpg

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow! Hella collection... what a happy lad you must be, with a house (yard?) full
of guitars... well done