Ngd '05 f-50r

Neal

Reaction score
For those that have not followed the discussion about this guitar, and its original condition, see:

http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?192604-F-50R-on-Reverb

Poor thing had a few cosmetic issues:

1. Weather-checked top.
2. Missing pickguard.
3. Tiny crack at endpin (no damage to tailblock).
4. Bad spider infestation.

I found a perfect replacement pickguard, and about five minutes of picking at the spider sticker with my fingernail took care of it and, voila!
001_zpsgslyapxq.jpg

009_zpsjnhgzjrs.jpg

004_zps8naoz5k6.jpg

012_zpsfxspwxl8.jpg

Big, deep, rich, balanced, articulate, resonant, and easy-playing, even with the nasty plastic saddle and bridge pins (soon to be remedied), and following removal of a large sheet of paper towel that the former owner stuffed inside the lower bout, for reasons that only he knew.

Right now, the F-50R is my favorite guitar. It produces a significantly more muscular, resonant, complex tone than my maple F-50, which is much "drier" and more fundamental. Both have their place, musically.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The fretboard inlay is superb.
what a looker. congrats!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Congrats Neal! An F50R is a Jewel to be had both in appearance and tone. Great Buy on this one.

TX

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow, Neal!! What a beauty!! Looks like you "saved" another one!! Congrats! Doesn't even look like the same guitar..... :encouragement:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
What up with the spider decal? Like who would put something like that on it in the first place? Just noticing the original reverb posting is all. I just have a hard time understanding stuff like that...Was it is his kid's?

Neal

Reaction score
No, it was actually a guy at least in his '60's.

He put the same decal on another guitar that his son was also listing as part of his estate.

Maybe he was in a spider-themed band. Or perhaps he just liked spiders, and disliked pickguards.

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score

He put the same decal on another guitar that his son was also listing as part of his estate.

Maybe he was in a spider-themed band. Or perhaps he just liked spiders, and disliked pickguards.
Obviously an arachnophile.

But seriously, that is one fine looking Guild. Congrats! :applouse:

Joe

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score

Well he'd be in the right age group:
1973-07-03-bowie-ho.jpg

markus

Reaction score
Guild Total
That outfit beats pink spandex for me …

Very nice guitar, well done!

Markus :smile:

krugjr

Reaction score
yeah, the F50R..... having "retrieved" mine from Woodstock. IL, it now rests in it's case on the floor to be opened and played every night.....the guitars in the closet are for sale...the F50R DTAR does everything for me.....way to go, Neal!

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
Neal, hearty congrats on your acquisition of that F-50R. You've turned it into a real beauty, and your report on the music it makes is also heartening! I hope to see it at The Local on Mondays!

Neal

Reaction score
Just added bone bridge pins with abolone dots to match the fretboard.

Next step is to order a K&K Pure Mini, have my luthier install it, cut a new bone saddle, and set the guitar up to my preferences.

Then she is ready for performing.