Starfire iii - toggle switch question

D55007

Reaction score
Hello

I'm considering purchasing a Newark St Starfire iii, in black.

I notice that the toggle switch is a bright yellow colour. Is this something which can be easily changed when I get it? I saw one the other day in a photo with an orange switch.

Also, Guild told me the other day that they are concentrating on bringing their production of USA made acoustic guitars at present, and are then likely to start looking at bringing electric production back to the US, so I'm wondering if I shouldn't put this off until 2018?

Thanks in advance.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

I'm considering purchasing a Newark St Starfire iii, in black.

I notice that the toggle switch is a bright yellow colour. Is this something which can be easily changed when I get it? I saw one the other day in a photo with an orange switch.

Also, Guild told me the other day that they are concentrating on bringing their production of USA made acoustic guitars at present, and are then likely to start looking at bringing electric production back to the US, so I'm wondering if I shouldn't put this off until 2018?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome. Strictly on the last point my suggestion would be to not wait. Given how long it took acoustic production to ramp up I think I would be pleasantly surprised to to see domestically produced electrics in the store any time in 2018. I also note that the New Hartford electrics had price points several thousands of dollars above the price of comparable Newark Street instruments so there is no guarantee that domestic electrics would be similarly priced. You will have a lot more fun if you buy now...

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
…likely to start looking at bringing electric production back to the US…

The likely longer-term strategy here is to augment existing production with higher end US-made instruments, à la the Patriarch series. This is already Cordoba's approach with the acoustic line.

As for the toggle tip, there are aftermarket replacements in various hues. For an NS guitar you'll likely want something with a metric thread.

-Dave-

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
The switch tip is a plastic piece that screws on and off. You can buy replacements in colors or in metal. Be advised that I'm not sure if the Starfire uses import parts (my guess would be yes) which means that the threads may not match if you get a switch tip for a US Switchcraft type switch.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I just pulled the switch on a gold top M-75 and it isn't a Switchcraft, it's a unmarked generic metric switch.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Probably an M4 thread though it's possible it's an M3.5, but I can't confirm either because I never looked. I should figure out what it is on my Bluesbird...

Someone in this thread took an original Guild tip and cleverly made it fit onto a NS S100 by using plumber's tape.

D55007

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

I'm waiting for quotes from various music shops regarding pricing.

The only other thing I don't like is the rosewood bridge, I just think (from the photos) that it looks out of place and doesn't fit in with the look of the guitar. I've been following the replacement bridge thread on here with interest and think it would look absolutely killer with an aluminium one (Compton or Bigsby)