Westerly Guild that is similar to the OM28 Martin body size...

swiveltung

Reaction score
(not the new Westerlys) Something that is similar to the OM28 small ish body... ?

tjmangum

Reaction score
Closest I have ever seen is the A-50. I had a nice one that I passed along on the forum. It's the one on the right. On the left is an A-25.

swiveltung

Reaction score
I have an F30, but no OM28/00028 to compare it to. I thought the Martin was a smaller body. Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong Martin.

docfishr

Reaction score
Yes, the f-30 is an OM size guild similar to the Martin Om in size but a bit different in shape. And depending on the year the Guild f-30's have different shapes. Some had a more rounded lower bout like a small version of the "jumbo" shape. Others have a lower bout that is straight on the bottom more like the OM Martin. And F-30's come in different body thicknesses as well. Not to mention differing scale lengths and nut widths. It's a bit confusing but in a fun way.
I have owned a Martin OM-28 and a OOO-28. I did not keep them for long because my F-30's (I have 4) play easier and sound better to my ear. Guild F-30's are my all time favorite guitars after 52 years of playing.

plaidseason

Reaction score
The A25, A50, and F30 are pretty much it. Depending upon the year, an F30 can be short (like a Martin 000) or long scale (like an OM). I briefly owned an A25 (which I sold to buy a Nashville F30r-ls), and it's not any more exactly OM than the F30 is.

For the record, that Westerly era, but made in the Nashville Custome Shop F30r-ls is the best sounding acoustic I've ever owned. And if you happen to find one, they're often under valued. It was as a good as a half dozen Santa Cruz OMs I've played. My dumbest guitar sale ever.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
If Having a Westerly is not set in stone, During 2013-2014 Guild did make at the New Hartford facility a Custom Shop Orpheum 000 12 fret slothead and a 14 fret OM in both RW and Hog with Adirondack Spruce tops on both. The 12 fret slotheads and 14 fret OM's shared the same Body size and shape with different necks and bridge/soundhole positions. The body shape is similar in size to the Martin OOO but the shape is unique to Guild itself. They were designed after the 000 and OM models from the 30's and 40's. I own a 12 fret Hog Slothead six string and a 12 fret Slothead Rw 12 string and they are both Amazing instruments. They didn't make a lot of them so they a bit hard to find but they are out there. Here is a photo of my two 12 fret models to give you an idea of the body shape.

I know you said you were looking for Westerly made 000 or OM but I figured with those options all mentioned in previous posts that these might give you another line of attack.

I1IJEA.jpg
vLW4el.jpg

TX

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Would not the F40 fit this bill? Not as easy to find but they are out there...
http://westerlyguildguitars.com/guitars/f40.html

F40's a 16" lower bout, don't think the OP's wanting to get that large.
OM's 15", thus the F30 suggestion is the best.
Swiveltung:
If you're actually looking for something a little smaller,
OO Martins are 14-1/8 width lower bout.
Guild's Westerly era counterpart would be the F20 or M20, 13-3/4" lower bout give or take a little over the course of the build history.

swiveltung

Reaction score
F40's a 16" lower bout, don't think the OP's wanting to get that large.
OM's 15", thus the F30 suggestion is the best.
Swiveltung:
If you're actually looking for something a little smaller,
OO Martins are 14-1/8 width lower bout.
Guild's Westerly era counterpart would be the F20 or M20, 13-3/4" lower bout give or take a little over the course of the build history.
Thanks, yes thinking something a bit smaller than the JF30 I have. I guess the Martin example I used isn't....

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Thanks, yes thinking something a bit smaller than the JF30 I have. I guess the Martin example I used isn't....

Waitaminnit, JF30's are a full 17", not to be confused with the original F30.
In any case, now you know what the Guild sizes are.

Last edited:

JethroTech

Reaction score
I noticed that someone had mentioned an F-20 (or M-20) as a possibility. I own both an F-20 and a Martin OM John Mayer so I photographed them side by side and back to back for comparison. Size-wise, they are both very comfortable guitars to sit and play, but the F-20 is significantly smaller. I hope the pictures help. If you want to see any other comparison photos please let me know.
IMG_1756_zpso0aunvsf.jpg

IMG_1759_zpsksyt8y6m.jpg

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
If Having a Westerly is not set in stone, During 2013-2014 Guild did make at the New Hartford facility a Custom Shop Orpheum 000 12 fret slothead and a 14 fret OM in both RW and Hog with Adirondack Spruce tops on both. The 12 fret slotheads and 14 fret OM's shared the same Body size and shape with different necks and bridge/soundhole positions. The body shape is similar in size to the Martin OOO but the shape is unique to Guild itself. They were designed after the 000 and OM models from the 30's and 40's. I own a 12 fret Hog Slothead six string and a 12 fret Slothead Rw 12 string and they are both Amazing instruments. They didn't make a lot of them so they a bit hard to find but they are out there. Here is a photo of my two 12 fret models to give you an idea of the body shape.

I know you said you were looking for Westerly made 000 or OM but I figured with those options all mentioned in previous posts that these might give you another line of attack.

I1IJEA.jpg
vLW4el.jpg

TX

Wow, those are some beautiful orpheums! I'm particularly jealous of the 12 string.

swiveltung

Reaction score
I noticed that someone had mentioned an F-20 (or M-20) as a possibility. I own both an F-20 and a Martin OM John Mayer so I photographed them side by side and back to back for comparison. Size-wise, they are both very comfortable guitars to sit and play, but the F-20 is significantly smaller. I hope the pictures help. If you want to see any other comparison photos please let me know.
IMG_1756_zpso0aunvsf.jpg

IMG_1759_zpsksyt8y6m.jpg
This helps a lot! Thanks

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
also a Guild F-20 will be deeper in the body than a Martin "OO" (couldnt say about an OM or John Mayer model, etc.)