1977 Guild S60 Review

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I scored an S-60 on Ebay for $500 and gave it the old GADification treatment.

http://www.gad.net/Blog/2017/04/14/1977-guild-s-60/

Guild-1977-S60-FullTop.jpg

Zelja

Reaction score
Interesting write up again GAD.

just looking at pics of the S60 v the S300 it seems that the bridge pickup in the S300 is closer to the bridge. is that so? If true that may be part of the difference you hear in the two guitars.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Interesting write up again GAD.

just looking at pics of the S60 v the S300 it seems that the bridge pickup in the S300 is closer to the bridge. is that so? If true that may be part of the difference you hear in the two guitars.

Good eye! I just measured and the s300's bridge pickup is 1/3" closer than the S60's.

I'm going to update the blog and give you credit for the discovery!

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Great (and funny) review. :) Here's a suggestion for the S-60: if your Axe-Fx has a modeled Klon effect, try putting it in the signal path prior to the 808 or Champ models. Gain all the way down, Treble straight up Noon (or neutral if Noon isn't neutral) and Volume set for a slight boost. I use this (in my case an Archer Ikon pedal) to give thinner sounding guitars more girth when desired…works great!

-Dave-

Zelja

Reaction score
Good eye! I just measured and the s300's bridge pickup is 1/3" closer than the S60's.

I'm going to update the blog and give you credit for the discovery!
I am honoured! I noticed it as I am paying attention to bridge position lately based on a few guitars I have. I swapped a good pickup between two guitars & I liked it better on the cheaper guitar - then noticed that the cheaper one pickup position was a lot closer to the bridge. Makes a difference for sure but it would be personal preference as to what someone likes more.

Not saying that's the whole story though. I have 3 c 70s s100s with the same hardware & bridge positions and they all sound noticeably different while having much the same character.

Last edited: