NGD Guild D62

wileypickett

Reaction score
Picked this up a couple hours ago at the Music Mill in Manchester, New Hampshire, about an hour from me.

https://reverb.com/item/2766733-ear...coustic-guitar-w-ohsc-d-60r-gruhn-walker-like

Arrived at a very agreeable "make offer" price with the clerk there, and the fact that there's no sales tax in NH -- which had completely slipped my mind -- was icing on the cake.

Description says it's had a neck reset, but I'd never have known it -- beautiful work, whoever did it.

Sound and playability are top notch -- comparable to my DV72 and D60, which are my two best Guild dreadnoughts.

Great as it sounds now, tonight I'll pull out the under-saddle pickup, replace the plastic saddle with compensated bone, put some EJ17s on there and see what it'll really do.

Glenn

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
nice congrats! ive seen Music Mill's online advertisements, prices are very very reasonable, especially compared to other small shops. i bet they dont get a D(V?)-62 in there too often. no sales tax, aye? I like it. They may not have income tax either. Live free or die!

wileypickett

Reaction score

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Nice score Glenn. I've owned a couple of these and they really are nice Guilds. I'm not exactly sure how they are different from a DV 52 but it makes no difference. It's a fine guitar period.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
great looking Guild, congrats! That herringbone looks sweet.

wileypickett

Reaction score
Before I found my DV72, I had a DV52, of which I was quite fond. But compared to the DV72 I found the DV52 mellower and not as loud.

Same with the D60, which is the loudest Guild I own -- though we'll see what the D62 does once I swap out the saddle and put my preferred strings on it.

I know "louder" ain't necessarily better, but I preferred the DV72 to the DV52 enough that I sold the latter to a friend a few years back, who loves it.

DV-72 NT

Reaction score
HNGD!
IMHO, I think the sound hole treatment on these are some of the best! How does this compare to the DV-72 weight-wise? Are they braced similarly? Personally, I like the heavy weight of my DV.
Congratulations!

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow, Glenn!! That's a super nice guitar!! You sure don't see many of those and all that herringbone!! Congrats on a super score!! :encouragement:

wileypickett

Reaction score
HNGD! MHO, I think the sound hole treatment on these are some of the best! How does this compare to the DV-72 weight-wise? Are they braced similarly? Personally, I like the heavy weight of my DV. Congratulations!

My gut tells me the D60, DV72 and this are all about the same weight. The DV72 is my main guitar and I've spent a LOT of time with it.

(Weren't all of these Gruhn / Walker models and pretty similar in design?)

I'll compare weights and bracing treatments and post results here. This is important stuff!

(Davisman -- I'm super fond of the herringbone myself! That alone gave me pause when I was considering selling the DV52.)

Glenn

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Picked this up a couple hours ago at the Music Mill in Manchester, New Hampshire, about an hour from me.....

Man, with that nice dark ebony fretboard and the rest of its finishing treatment, it all fits so well together. That's feng shui!

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Looks like a real nice score...

I hope I don't burst any of your bubble, but it appears to me that you bought a '93 DV-62. According to Hans, early examples of the DV-52/62 series were mis-labeled due to a mis-communication between sales and the shop floor. Your new Guild matches the SN range and specs of the DV-62. The Gruhn era D-62 was mahogany back/sides, made in '84 and '85.

Enjoy!

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
That's just a great looking guitar, Glenn, great find. Looking forward to your thoughts once you're done tweaking and had some time to bond with it.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Congratulations, and good luck with the new baby Glenn!

wileypickett

Reaction score
Looks like a real nice score...

I hope I don't burst any of your bubble, but it appears to me that you bought a '93 DV-62. According to Hans, early examples of the DV-52/62 series were mis-labeled due to a mis-communication between sales and the shop floor. Your new Guild matches the SN range and specs of the DV-62. The Gruhn era D-62 was mahogany back/sides, made in '84 and '85. Enjoy!

Right you are Gardman -- May 22, 1993, according to the date stamp inside. I remember reading Han's posts about D versus DV prefix instruments, but this is the first time I've had a guitar with that particular label mix-up.

Doesn't burst any bubbles for me at all -- I'm all about the sound and playability!

Thanks!

Aristera

Reaction score
Glenn,

I'm glad to be on the same wavelength. I've had mine for a couple of years now and it hasn't ever been a disappointment. Can't wait to hear your assessment on tone and sound!

James

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Beautiful guitar... herringbone trim is wild, almost hypnotic to look at... congrats

I have that same GF25

6L6

Reaction score
You've achieved a MAJOR SCORE! WELL DONE!

Never met a USA-built Guild I didn't LOVE.

Bill