What's this guitar's story?

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm not really in the market, but I still like browsing what's out there. Here's an ebay offering that I don't quite get. It's obviously a refurb - I get that. But the seller calls it a "Guild GAD JF30-12." Is this mis-identified? Guild's archived GAD webpage does not show a JF30-12.

As I understand it, GADs were Chinese-built. I'm surprised, however, that this supposedly Chinese-built guitar has an ebony fretboard and bridge, with AAAA solid flame maple back and sides. That does not sound like the less expensive Chinese version!

Any clarification appreciated!

johnny3j

Reaction score
Guild Total
It's got "USED" stamped into the back of the headstock, so its possibly an MIRC guitar. Its got the sticker on the label which looks like someone tried to remove it.

What's weird are the fretboard inlays and the back & sides. Not only are they non standard for a JF30-12 GAD or USA, but non-standard for any Guild (to my knowledge at least).
Was the original neck smashed and subsequently "reproduced"?
Also, no truss rod cover or cavity at least on the headstock end and no sign of ever having had a pickguard.

Did someone start to build a Guild at Corona/Tacoma/New Hartford/China or wherever and then have it snatched out of their hands by an unknown third party who then put a random Martin?? fretboard on it and odd flamed maple back & sides?
But then the Guild "brand" is visible on the inside of the back, so maybe the sunburst was removed from the back & sides and it was finished in natural....no clue what went on there :confused-new:.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
....no clue what went on there :confused-new:.

I know! Extraordinary figuring like that on the back typically tells me: "laminate." One view inside the soundhole shows that same grain on the interior side of the wood. But the view with the damaged label looks like the interior of a laminate back. I guess Chinese GADs were all solid, though. That's some killer figuring!

Also, that's not a 3-piece neck.

It's got "USED" stamped into the back of the headstock, so its possibly an MIRC guitar. Its got the sticker on the label which looks like someone tried to remove it.

Yes, as I said, it's definitely a refurb. And it's nice that they explain the reason: "The guitar had a minor bridge repair (re-glue) by a licenced Authorized Technician.... It also has a few minor/light scratch marks that would not show in the pictures well. Otherwise, It is in like new mint condition."

It's awful that the label was partially ripped off - the part that says where it was made! What can be told from that label?

After enlarging and sharpening in photoshop, it apparently says "GAD...." right on the label. I'm not so sure about the "JF30-12" part. Did I mention that Guild's (archived) GAD website shows no such model? And GADs typically have a nice little abalone rosette. Not this one.

The brown tape - MIRC's serial # - is typical and expected on a refurbished instrument.

s-l1600.jpg

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The sunburst top and natural back/sides just looks wrong. Has there ever been a model that did that?

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Chinese-built JF30, no?

Apparently so - JF3012. Nice that Guild keeps their webpages up to date. :rolleyes:

How much were these brand new, when they were available?

I see this guitar is also up on reverb, but doesn't accept offers. Yet.

I'm not affiliated!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Apparently so - JF3012.
How much were these brand new, when they were available?

Yes there were GADJF30-12's for a short time maybe only one year, '08-09, can't recall for sure.
Saw a print ad on a Google search a while back, it took me by surprise too so kind of stuck in memory.
Listing says they were $1799.00 new, think that's correct.
It's awful that the label was partially ripped off - the part that says where it was made! What can be told from that label?
First gen GADs had visible s/n's :

rsfquj9m567ynwruv9l6.jpg

As I understand it, GADs were Chinese-built. I'm surprised, however, that this supposedly Chinese-built guitar has an ebony fretboard and bridge, with AAAA solid flame maple back and sides. That does not sound like the less expensive Chinese version!
Any clarification appreciated!
In the interests of best QC control over materials, Fender actually selected the woods and had 'em shipped to the factory in China, so blame them. :biggrin-new:
Also, no truss rod cover or cavity at least on the headstock end and no sign of ever having had a pickguard.
One of the giveaways of a GAD, truss adjusts through the heelblock.
And I have vague recollection that some GAD's were available without 'guards, in any case, 'guards were easily removed from poly finish with a little hate, er, heat.. :biggrin-new:

Nice that Guild keeps their webpages up to date. :rolleyes:
Cut 'em a little slack, it was probably taken off long before they ever owned the page to update.
And I can understand not being too worried about a model that's no longer availbable in any case.
On top of that it seems like they're tweaking the page weekly as it is, I've noticed stuff fall off the archived pages since they first took over.
What's particularly frustrating to me is it seems like one week a model will show up, them it won't, then it's back.
There was a time when we ragged on 'em for not keeping the page up-to-date more often,

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
If I can guess I'd say the top was replaced and the neck/ finger board or it was a early prototype but the top is wrong unless they were out karaokeing all night again ?
I agree the top has no business being sunburst but it was parts and this was easier to switch over then refinish then there ya go heck the dark neck goes with the top but not the maple .
The finger board is Blueridge style and or the company that makes Blueridge and whatever , Guilds ? I don't know . Does Martin use the same inlays ?

Oh one more thing I did not know Gads carried the chesterfield logo ( did I say that right ? ) haha ok I see the MF j30 above shows the label and finger board still same as Blueridge uses , neck looks dark to so silly me lol but no light body with dark neck it's rule number 2 . :)

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
If I can guess I'd say the top was replaced and the neck/ finger board or it was a early prototype but the top is wrong unless they were out karaokeing all night again ?
I agree the top has no business being sunburst but it was parts and this was easier to switch over then refinish then there ya go heck the dark neck goes with the top but not the maple .
The finger board is Blueridge style and or the company that makes Blueridge and whatever , Guilds ? I don't know . Does Martin use the same inlays ?
Nope it's just a legit GAD JF30-12. All stock.
Funny you should mention Blueridge because way back many years ago when Fender didn't think it was anybody's business to divulge where GAD's were made, somebody noted some Guild style headstocks in some video of the Blueridge factory floor and thus was born the working hypothesis that they were made in the same place.
Later it was finally figured out it was the Grand Reward (or was it "Great" Reward?) factory.
Thanks to Ralf (SFIV1967) for that particular piece of fantastic detective work.
He really oughta do it for a living.

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Nope it's just a legit GAD JF30-12. All stock.
Funny you should mention Blueridge because way back many years ago when Fender didn't think it was anybody's business to divulge where GAD's were made, somebody noted some Guild style headstocks in some video of the Blueridge factory floor and thus was born the working hypothesis that they were made in the same place.
Later it was finally figured out it was the Grand Reward (or was it "Great" Reward?) factory.
Thanks to Ralf (StarfireIV1967) for that particular piece of fantastic detective work.
He really ought a do it for a living.

Well if you didn't mentioned legit I'd a swear it came the land of misfit guitars . Maybe the guy was crossed and the sunburst on one side and maple on the other and the rest is history lol

I had one Ef like cougars it was the worst instrument I ever seen but it was a Mric or what ever you call that company .

Anyway if it came from the same factory as Blueridge they must have different grade level runs

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Anyway if it came from the same factory as Blueridge they must have different grade level runs
I think they simply contract to build whatever a given maker gives' em specs for, and that drives the different quality levels.
Fender, for instance, insisted on selecting their own wood and sending it to them to ensure the body woods at least were always up to their spec.
It also wouldn't surprise me if they offered a bunch of pre-made "stock" parts that a given maker could spec when building guitars, (bracing, body woods, neck blanks, etc) leaving only a few unique details like headstocks and binding to be produced and installed for each maker.
That would explain that GAD JF30-12 having the same neck inlays as your Blueridge, (if that's what you were saying?)
In fact I've got a pet theory right now that Cordoba was/is using Grand Rewards for their Cordoba-branded steel flattops and that's how they wound up acquiring Guild, through the GAD connection.
FENDER: "S-a-a-a-y, we couldn't help but notice you guys are getting your guitars built in the same place we use.
We been thinkin' 'bout reducing our brand overhead, wanna buy a brand?"

CORDOBA: "Could't hurt to talk....."
Cordoba's flat-tops also had a reputation for great price-to-quality ratio similar to the Blueridges and Epiphones.
We just didn't know it until we started trying to figure out who they were and whether they were likely to be able to produce the quality we became accustomed to.
A lot of us thought they only made classicals.
When they introduced the "Westerly Collection", we wondered where those were being made until somebody posted pics that the QC inspection labels on those were still the same as the old GAD labels.

Last edited:

bobouz

Reaction score
In fact I've got a pet theory right now that Cordoba was/is using Grand Rewards for their Cordoba-branded steel flattops and that's how they wound up acquiring Guild, through the GAD connection. .
What I seem to recall reading was that one of Cordoba's management people is the son of a Fender executive, so in essence, Cordoba's purchase of Guild would sort of keep it all in the family.

Not running quickly to the bank with that, but I believe that's what I read at the time of Fender's opting out of Guild. Could be any number of ways this all came about.

Anyone know the exact details?

Last edited:

Okieguildfan

Reaction score
I can attest that it is legit as well. I had a GAD JF-30 (just 6 string), and it had the same inlays, ebony, and beautiful maple back. The old GADs (before adding the 100 prefix) were great guitars. There were also some weird hybrids that they made during this time too. One that I have hung onto is a GAD F-40P. Of course an F-40 body, but 12 fret, 1 3/4 nut, and padauak wood (a beautiful red color). Doesn't seem to fit the mold of anything Guild has done before.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
What I seem to recall reading was that one of Cordoba's management people is the son of a Fender executive, so in essence, Cordoba's purchase of Guild would sort of keep it all in the family.
Now that you mention it, that does ring a bell, although I kind of doubt Fender cared whether they "stayed in the family" or not, given their cash flow problems at the time.
But it would be one viable explanation for how Cordoba got wind of Fender's plans in the first place, and maybe gave 'em an "insider track".
My idea is only a hypothesis so like you said, anybody know exact details?

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I think they simply contract to build whatever a given maker gives' em specs for, and that drives the different quality levels.
Fender, for instance, insisted on selecting their own wood and sending it to them to ensure the body woods at least were always up to their spec.
It also wouldn't surprise me if they offered a bunch of pre-made "stock" parts that a given maker could spec when building guitars, (bracing, body woods, neck blanks, etc) leaving only a few unique details like headstocks and binding to be produced and installed for each maker.
That would explain that GAD JF30-12 having the same neck inlays as your Blueridge, (if that's what you were saying?)
In fact I've got a pet theory right now that Cordoba was/is using Grand Rewards for their Cordoba-branded steel flattops and that's how they wound up acquiring Guild, through the GAD connection.
FENDER: "S-a-a-a-y, we couldn't help but notice you guys are getting your guitars built in the same place we use.
We been thinkin' 'bout reducing our brand overhead, wanna buy a brand?"

CORDOBA: "Could't hurt to talk....."
Cordoba's flat-tops also had a reputation for great price-to-quality ratio similar to the Blueridges and Epiphones.
We just didn't know it until we started trying to figure out who they were and whether they were likely to be able to produce the quality we became accustomed to.
A lot of us thought they only made classicals.
When they introduced the "Westerly Collection", we wondered where those were being made until somebody posted pics that the QC inspection labels on those were still the same as the old GAD labels.

Ahhhh I'm sorry but don't put Epiphone in the same sentence as Blueridge . Haha there totally two different beasts . Lol but I know what your saying hehe .

I must look into this as I knew at one time what other brands where being made along side Blueridge it was some time ago and Heineken has dulled my memory oh look a quarter ! But Guild was not mentioned which means nothing as they could right behind the blues on the line .

Interesting :)

I'm back with an edit look it says below \|/
Anyways yup , Blueridge , Gads , tanglewood , lag , Washburn , Aria , Recording king , Timbercrafts , Ibanez , Warwick , Blade , Epiphone all at Grand Rewards ;)

Last edited:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well, no. You remember part of it right but part is wrong. Jonathan Thomas, who is the President of Corboda Music Group (CMG), is the son of FORMER Fender Musical Instruments Corportation (FMIC) CEO Larry Thomas. Larry Thomas was FMIC's CEO from Aug. 1, 2010 until May 31, 2014. He retired afterwards. So CMG or it's Guild brand has nothing to do with FMIC. If you mean "Thomas family" with "family" you are right however...
Ralf

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
...it's just a legit GAD JF30-12. All stock.
Yes, the GAD-JF3012 Jumbo 12-String Acoustic Guitar had the following specs. The GAD-JF3012 is the 12-string version of the Guild GAD-JF30 guitar. Jumbo body model, with a solid spruce top, solid flame maple back and sides, ebony fingerboard and bridge, bone nut and saddle, three-piece mahogany/maple/mahogany neck, wood binding and a special pearl inlay.

• Model Name: GAD-JF3012
    Model Number: 381-3500
    Category: Guild Acoustic Design
    Body Style: Jumbo 12-String
    Top: Solid Sitka Spruce
    Bracing: Guild Scalloped Spruce
    Back: Grade AAAA Solid Flame Maple
    Sides: Grade AAAA Solid Flame Maple
    Bridge: Ebony
    Neck: Three-Piece Mahogany/Maple/Mahogany
    Fretboard: Ebony (12" Radius)
    Width at Nut: 1-11/16"
    No. of Frets: 20
    Scale Length: 25.5"
    Hardware: Chrome
    Machine Heads: Grover Mini Rotomatic Die-cast Tuners
    Finish: High Gloss (Polyurethane)
    Neck Joint: Dovetail
    Position Inlay: Ornate Mother-Of-Pearl Position Inlays
    Strap Button: With Internal Block Reinforcement
    Side Dot Position Inlays: Abalone
    Headstock Logo: Mother-of-Pearl
    Bridge Pins: Ebony with MOP Dots
    End Pin: Ebony with MOP Dot
    Nut: Bone
    Saddle: Bone
    Binding: Mahogany
    Pickguard: Tortoise Shell
    Back Center: Wood Mosaic Inlay
    Case: Deluxe Hardshell Case
    Strings: Replace with Guild L1250 Phosphor Bronze 12-String, p/n 3501250000,
    Gauges .010 to .049
    Introduced: 1/2007

Ralf