1998 Starfire IV Review

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Though pretty darn similar to the 2000 Starfire I recently reviewed, this one is different, and now you can learn about every nitty-gritty reason why as I do my magic on yet another Guild.

http://www.gad.net/Blog/2017/04/07/1998-guild-starfire-iv-4/

Guild-1998-Starfire4-TopFull2.jpg

As always, feel free to PM me with mistakes or hate mail. Or, you know, love mail if that's you're thing.

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
great review as usual gary. I'd like to add that the SDs make a starfire sound a bit more like an ES-335. which is what I like I must admit. ;)

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I had one that is now living with Bill Ashton. I will always remember that one fondly, even though any guitar with frets past the fifth position is kind of wasted on me.

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
so you will sell the gsr sf6 to me?

I had one that is now living with Bill Ashton. I will always remember that one fondly, even though any guitar with frets past the fifth position is kind of wasted on me.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Re. Radio Shack Contact Cleaner: not long ago I found a can of Cramolin stashed away in my dad's old workbench. Must be at least 25 years old. Still works too!

-Dave-

dbirchett

Reaction score
Great review. I still don't understand how you can love Starfire IVs and love Bigsbys but not love Starfire Vs. A foolish inconsistency I suppose.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Great review. I still don't understand how you can love Starfire IVs and love Bigsbys but not love Starfire Vs. A foolish inconsistency I suppose.

I (like most people, probably) have many odd predispositions. The only SFV I've ever seen that made me want it was 2Nevet's blue one. Wuf!

fouk3tzvcmxvtiq7yvdy.jpg

Mark WW

Reaction score
Very nice review. Not to derail your thread but since you prefer the chunkier neck like I do, have you tried an (386 or 486) Eastman. 1-3/4" at the nut. Ebony board (on 486). Workmanship quality that is very similar to Guild. And they have 3 different pup configs based on feature sets. But alas...no blondes.

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Very nice review. Not to derail your thread but since you prefer the chunkier neck like I do, have you tried an (386 or 486) Eastman. 1-3/4" at the nut. Ebony board (on 486). Workmanship quality that is very similar to Guild. And they have 3 different pup configs based on feature sets. But alas...no blondes.

I have not. I've heard good things about them, though.

dbirchett

Reaction score
I (like most people, probably) have many odd predispositions. The only SFV I've ever seen that made me want it was 2Nevet's blue one. Wuf!

fouk3tzvcmxvtiq7yvdy.jpg

As a rule, I'm not crazy about blue guitars but that one is drop-dead gorgeous!

Zelja

Reaction score
Another good read GAD!

I have a '97 SF4 and totally agree with the pickguard issue. I have lossened mine & pushed ut away so it is further from the E string. I wonder if later ones are available or maybe get one made?

Re pickups, I ended dropping in HB-1s into mine & prefer the bridge HB-1 o the SD-1 for sure. On the neck I'm not as certain. I have a feeling that the SD-1 might actually have been a little clearer than the HB-1. Still, as i have so many guitars with HB-1s, I was thinking about putting some TV Jones pickups into her.

Black Rooster

Reaction score
Nice one GAD ...as usual (you are used to deal with great instruments) :) as you said the great SF4 quality construction are outstanding.....you're right about the output jack position...more confortable here than on a 335.
I have no problem with this kind of pick guard.... in fact first time i seen this (on my 97 SF4) i noticed that are different than any other i had on various guitars such LP or SG or 335 for example,but i never had palyng problem.
about P-UPS i never tried original HB-1 but i like so much the SD Duncan,and as usual i had to say thank to you...your P-UPS review had let me do the right choice when i bought my SF4