Guild D25 BR 1968 Brown Mahogany

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Actually, it's always good to know what's going on under the hood.

Besides all that, it's just fun to poke around in there!

Totally Bob. And I assume I can pick such a mirror at autozone, etc?

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
If I buy this guitar, you should get a little kick back of some kind for selling it. :topsy_turvy:

The action looks real high in one of those pics. Looking down the neck. Strings appear to be far from board. I am with Neal on that. They are great dreads, but you might have to invest some $ in a neck reset. Which could very well be worth it.

Neal

Reaction score
Woody and I know of which we speak, both of us owning a '71 (I think Pascal has one, too).

Woody had his neck reset. I have staved off the same issue with a Bridge Doctor on mine, but the BD is not a perfect solution, especially on a mahogany top, in which the whole top tends to rise over time and under tension, as opposed to s spruce top, which tends to belly up right behind the bridge. At least that has been my experience.

I saw an all- mahogany D-25 in the Guitar Center used listings that was under $500 and did not appear trashed. You might want to check it out.

newton

Reaction score
I saw an all- mahogany D-25 in the Guitar Center used listings that was under $500 and did not appear trashed. You might want to check it out.

I could also buy a seagull SWS (Solid Wood Series) mahogany topped guitar for the same price. Nut width 1.8 inch.

It's definitely a buyers market. (Always has been.) I guess it's buy/selling a home. How long do people want to wait until they get the price they want?

Still jonesin' for an all-solid-wood mahogany topped guitar though.

I think I must be suffering from G.A.S. (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome)

bobouz

Reaction score
Totally Bob. And I assume I can pick such a mirror at autozone, etc?

Yes indeed. And sometimes I use a little LED headlamp instead of a flashlight when doing repair work.

If a larger field of vision is needed, you can also lay a small mirror in there (like a women's compact facial mirror).

Lots of ways to get a good peek in there!

newton

Reaction score
Yes indeed. And sometimes I use a little LED headlamp instead of a flashlight when doing repair work.

If a larger field of vision is needed, you can also lay a small mirror in there (like a women's compact facial mirror).

Lots of ways to get a good peek in there!

I just use my smart phone to make a video and then play it back. It's just about the only useful thing I've come up with for the smart phone.

Neal

Reaction score
I could also buy a seagull SWS (Solid Wood Series) mahogany topped guitar for the same price. Nut width 1.8 inch.

It's definitely a buyers market. (Always has been.) I guess it's buy/selling a home. How long do people want to wait until they get the price they want?

Still jonesin' for an all-solid-wood mahogany topped guitar though.

I think I must be suffering from G.A.S. (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome)

Play an old all-hog D-25 first. There's a reason we have decided to hang onto them and do whatever is necessary to keep them playable!

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The one Neal cited above. $449 a real good price if in decent shape. Note how the arched versions are pricier. Located in San Mateo GC.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Guild/1973-D-25-Acoustic-Guitar.gc

Last edited:

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I guess it's just a rule of thumb however, I was under the impression that laminated sides don't have braces because they don't need them and, that the all-solid-tonewood sides of guitars are braced. (Perhaps just to err on the side of caution)

If the specs say its got solid sides then, maybe it just doesn't need them? Check to see if the grain pattern goes all the way through...
The D-46 is solid ash sides... and solid back, tho' mine is one of the early ones that has the rosewood center piece in the back:

159346502.jpg

Sorry for the veer... it's what LTG does best!

newton

Reaction score
The D-46 is solid ash sides... and solid back, tho' mine is one of the early ones that has the rosewood center piece in the back:

159346502.jpg

Sorry for the veer... it's what LTG does best!

The O.P. (original poster) allows for the veer in this case. You are not however, helping with my seemingly incurable case of G.A.S.
:topsy_turvy:

newton

Reaction score
The one Neal cited above. $449 a real good price if in decent shape. Note how the arched versions are pricier. Located in San Mateo GC.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Guild/1973-D-25-Acoustic-Guitar.gc

I just liberated that guitar from GC. They told me it had functioning electronics but they were wrong. Now they are taking $100 off the price. Checks in the mail. (Supposedly)

Some else bought the one on Reverb.com which had to be in better shape than this one. It's beat up pretty bad but playable and sounds good. I'll have to take photos for a seperate ngd thread.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I just liberated that guitar from GC. They told me it had functioning electronics but they were wrong. Now they are taking $100 off the price. Checks in the mail. (Supposedly)

Some else bought the one on Reverb.com which had to be in better shape than this one. It's beat up pretty bad but playable and sounds good. I'll have to take photos for a seperate ngd thread.

Newton! Congrats buddy, so psyched to hear of your score. And for 349, wow. Interested to hear if it's shape when you get the Br. Great story! Even if it requires some work, will be a good deal.