Last one, I promise...

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
tomas, I did too, two days ago. really like them. and they were 5 bucks at GC...
Yeah, for the money they're great! I just hope they hold up well. I don't hate changing strings but it is a chore and I put it off. Coated strings allow me to be a little more lazy, which is a good thing.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah, for the money they're great! I just hope they hold up well. I don't hate changing strings but it is a chore and I put it off. Coated strings allow me to be a little more lazy, which is a good thing.

From the reviews I have read, they are supposed to hold up longer than most uncoateds. Like sweetwater and such have tons of reviews and that is the main theme, tone and longevity.

MancJonny

Reaction score
I hate to be the one to get us back on topic, but I put the Ernie Ball Earthwood 80/20 Bronze lights on the D65S last night. It sounds GREAT!! Loving them so far! Nice bright and balanced sound, just like I like!

I have just put a set of these (.011-.052) on my old Gibson J-50 and they are by far the best strings I have ever used - much more bite and crunch in the bass than Martins, D'Addarios, etc.

Have left a set of 0.09s with a tech to put on my Guild 12-string G212 when he has dressed the frets.

The Ernie Ball's are cheap too!

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
BTW, Strings and Beyond has free shipping this week. Just bought enough to string up my 12-string herd for the next couple of years. Gonna try some silk/steel on the Orpheum to see if I like it.

krugjr

Reaction score
TX...F50R.....when I don't play her a lot of hours a week I keep the John Pearse PB mediums or new mediums on her (best over all tone for me so far) and when I'm going to play a lot of hours, leading worship, etc, I'm like you, the Elixers come out of the box.....I'll try the HD Lights, you try the JP PB New Mediums and we'll compare down the road.....

like Davisman said (back in April) when he ordered 6 sets, 5 he had never tried, I just ordered quite a few sets I've never tried...dived into the GHS and Thomastik world for the first time, mostly to see what string other than my JPs might tame the mids and highs on this FB SJ Deluxe Adi/Hog I just picked up.....reminds me a little of the Orph 14 fret slope hog I had.....seems I'm always trying to tame the mids and highs on a hog and add the mids and highs to a rosewood......and then there's the F50R...................I'm convinced it would sound angelic with barbed wire nailed to her......man, what a guitar!

I will now try the Earthwood 80/20s too.....another first.....

it will take a little time to get through some of these "new" strings but I'll report when I do!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I tried a set of JP's awhile back but preferred the Daddario EJ's instead. Then I am right back to the issue that the Daddario EJ's start turning on me within a week in both color and tone. I was forced to change from Mediums to lights or Light HD's because of my deteriorating left shoulder/Arm issue that I am still trying to get fixed. The things I like about the Elixir Nanoweb Light HD's is that first of all, they are still as fresh in tone and to the touch 6 weeks after I put them on. Second is that they actually have more depth and tone than the Daddario of the same gauge. They honestly match the tone output and volume of the mediums that I can't play anymore. I put them on my Guild Custom shop Chris Fleming F47-BRZ Brazilian RW Model and it sounds like someone is playing a Grand Piano when you finger pick it. Didn't think I could get any more tone out of that one but the Elixir's just take it to another level for me.

TX

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
And as much as I love all these new strings and trying different ones.... it's been fun to have a break from changing strings all the time with the Elixirs that may start out a little slow but warm up and stay up to par for quite a while. I can't complain about them one little bit. But I love this new seriously bright and chimey sound that I like and well balanced. Like krugjr says, I always get some I KNOW i'll love and some I've never had before. You just never know. Really looking forward to the Dean Markley Blackhawk 80/20 lights.... they're coated so.... we'll see. :encouragement:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
wish I could adopt Elixirs, but I cannot stand the coating shedding that hard strumming causes. It just looks disgusting.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Ahhh the quest lol

Never forget that earthwoods rock for first go recordings yes my opinion they awesome chime and clarity but not long lived week at best .

My new go to which surprised me are the Elixers nano web I'm very impressed so far but remember each guitar responds differently to each type of string :)

I have them on my f212 and will posting a tune or two soon do you can hear them :)