Last one, I promise...

dbirchett

Reaction score
Has anyone tried either Dean Markley Blackhawk or DR Dragon Strings? Both are coated strings.

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
:) The string hunt never ends, boys and girls. :)

m7atsk.jpg

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Nice! You had great weather! Came up for the Tall Ships?

walrus

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Oh, hey, Pascal... you should've let me know you were here, buddy!!! Hope you enjoyed your stay!

krugjr

Reaction score
TX...F50R.....when I don't play her a lot of hours a week I keep the John Pearse PB mediums or new mediums on her (best over all tone for me so far) and when I'm going to play a lot of hours, leading worship, etc, I'm like you, the Elixers come out of the box.....I'll try the HD Lights, you try the JP PB New Mediums and we'll compare down the road.....

like Davisman said (back in April) when he ordered 6 sets, 5 he had never tried, I just ordered quite a few sets I've never tried...dived into the GHS and Thomastik world for the first time, mostly to see what string other than my JPs might tame the mids and highs on this FB SJ Deluxe Adi/Hog I just picked up.....reminds me a little of the Orph 14 fret slope hog I had.....seems I'm always trying to tame the mids and highs on a hog and add the mids and highs to a rosewood......and then there's the F50R...................I'm convinced it would sound angelic with barbed wire nailed to her......man, what a guitar!

it will take a little time to get through some of these "new" strings but I'll report when I do!

Last edited:

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Nice! You had great weather! Came up for the Tall Ships? walrus

I took some time off to tag along with wifey who had her teachers convention in Boston this year.... Yeah definitely great weather, nice and sunny. Funny thing is the first couple of days there was a chill in the air and I definitely needed jeans and long sleeve shirt on, while everybody else must thought it was warm as they all were in short and t-shirts.... which made us laugh some.
Got a good dose of ships, and all kinds of boats. Boy that is one busy harbor! Loved it just sitting there and watch the traffic. I even took a ride on the high speed boat, (with just 3190 HP more than I have on my dinghy) was fun, will post pics later....

Oh, hey, Pascal... you should've let me know you were here, buddy!!! Hope you enjoyed your stay!
Hey Charlie! I though about sending you a PM, but problem was my wife was never really sure what her schedule was gonna be from one day to the next, so kinda hard making plans (even for myself sometimes!) :)
I definitely enjoyed the stay. (Made me miss a city with a good public transportation system even more!) Was staying at the airport Hilton with a pedestrian "sky bridge" to the terminals, so just had to grab a (free) silver line bus, and zoom to the harbor in about 10 / 15mns. Very cool.
The one thing that REALLY impressed us, is we couldn't walk a block without seeing construction in progress! Insane the number of cranes and high rises popping up everywhere!
Love New England.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Glad you enjoyed it! Totally avoiding the use of an automobile is definitely the way to go!

walrus

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
ONLY because you don't have to deal with some likely poorly maintained rental car while on vacation, otherwise,
HERESY!

My comment only applies to the fact that bluesy was in Boston. With all the construction, it has been a mess all summer! Even with no construction, it's not a very easy place to get around in a car...

Otherwise, yes, drive!

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
My comment only applies to the fact that bluesy was in Boston. With all the construction, it has been a mess all summer! Even with no construction, it's not a very easy place to get around in a car...

Otherwise, yes, drive!

walrus

I'll put up anything in the SF Bay Area against Boston for sheer pain of driving and let Chaz and GAD be the judges.
But only for laughs because I believe you.
:friendly_wink:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
And I'm paying a toll to sit in traffic! :shocked:

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
And I'm paying a toll to sit in traffic! :shocked:

walrus
From the CHP Website:
High-Occupancy Toll (HOT) Lanes:
These freeway facilities are also called "Express Lanes" and allow single-occupant vehicles to use the HOT lane by paying a toll electronically (with a FasTrak transponder or by using a Prepaid ExpressAccount). Some HOT lane facilities have a One-Time-Toll feature. Most HOT lanes allow carpools to use the lane for free (local signs will specify this and indicate if carpools must carry a FasTrak transponder). HOT lanes may not be used by vehicles restricted to a 55 MPH speed limit. An example of a HOT lane is the Sunol Grade on Interstate 680 in the San Francisco Bay Area.

And since you're only allowed to enter and exit them at designated places, there's always a "cluster-doody" at those areas.
Same with almost every on ramp now, because they're metered during commute hours, EVERY G.D. car has to accelerate from a dead stop to get up to freeway speed in merging lanes that are frequently too short to allow it (they were designed on the assumption that the merging lane would be entered at 25-35 miles an hour), thus, instant clusterdoody at every on- ramp now, as the slower merging traffic creates a slowdown.
LONG lines of idling cars waiting on ramps to get on freeway now too.
I submit that any benefit claimed for shorter freeway commute times has simply been at the expense of backups transferred to surface streets where wait times are aggravated by uncoordinated traffic lights and that total gas usage across the commuting pool is thus increased.
But I digress.
Have you tested any decent sidearms lately?
I just got my open carry permit.

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Even with no construction, it's not a very easy place to get around in a car...
walrus

Not to mention the parking..... You often end up having to walk MORE after you parked the darn thing, as opposed to popping up from a subway escalator right spank in the middle of the area where you wanna be. Hard to beat.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I hate to be the one to get us back on topic, but I put the Ernie Ball Earthwood 80/20 Bronze lights on the D65S last night. It sounds GREAT!! Loving them so far! Nice bright and balanced sound, just like I like!

To answer dbirchett, I bought the Dean Markley Blackhawk 80/20 coated strings at the same time, but have yet to put them on anything. I'm thinking the DV72 would be a good test for those. I'll let you know once it's done.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I hate to be the one to get us back on topic, but I put the Ernie Ball Earthwood 80/20 Bronze lights on the D65S last night. It sounds GREAT!! Loving them so far! Nice bright and balanced sound, just like I like!

tomas, I did too, two days ago. really like them. and they were 5 bucks at GC...