Happy Days!!!

F30

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
So as usual I take a peek at the Guild offerings of the day and what do I find.
A hurry up and BIN, OM 240E

I couldn't believe the wood on the back and sides. It's suppose to be a prototype (no serial #)....here have a look.
165234870.jpg

165234871.jpg

165234872.jpg

If it sounds half as good as it looks I came out a real winner.
Happy Days

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Wow! Beautiful grain on that back!

Congratulations!

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
HI "F", well I guess I'm gonna be the voice of skepticism here, but no snark intended.
First, the story about "prototype and thus no s/n" seems a little bit too convenient and unlikely for an MIC instrument.
I guess it's possible it could have made its way over here for evaluation, but I'd be pretty surprised if Cordoba "let it out" in any case.
How and where was it listed?
The other thing that jumps out at me is the book-matched back when these are supposed to be arched mahogany and arched backs are typically NOT book-matched like we see in that photo.
(Although they did do it on a few rosewood arched back F50's in Westerly, IIRC)
I guess that's possibly easily explained and maybe goes along with the "prototype" description but the whole thing arouses my great curiosity.
Also, I'd hate to see somebody misled by another one of those "disingenouous sellers" I recently complained about, but it does look like you've been a member long enough to know what to watch out for.
It is a pretty thing, alright, if that's the actual instrument.
So, any further info you can share?

F30

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
HI "F", well I guess I'm gonna be the voice of skepticism here, but no snark intended.
First, the story about "prototype and thus no s/n" seems a little bit too convenient and unlikely for an MIC instrument.
I guess it's possible it could have made its way over here for evaluation, but I'd be pretty surprised if Cordoba "let it out" in any case.
How and where was it listed?
The other thing that jumps out at me is the book-matched back when these are supposed to be arched mahogany and arched backs are typically NOT book-matched like we see in that photo.
(Although they did do it on a few rosewood arched back F50's in Westerly, IIRC)
I guess that's possibly easily explained and maybe goes along with the "prototype" description but the whole thing arouses my great curiosity.
Also, I'd hate to see somebody misled by another one of those "disingenouous sellers" I recently complained about, but it does look like you've been a member long enough to know what to watch out for.
It is a pretty thing, alright, if that's the actual instrument.
So, any further info you can share?

I see what you're saying and I was a little put off but at $300 I thought what the hec. The seller has 1 negative feedback in 279 left so I figured worth a shot.
It was listed as a Cordoba "B Stock"
Here's the listing from ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/222458349593

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I see what you're saying and I was a little put off but at $300 I thought what the heck. The seller has 1 negative feedback in 279 left so I figured worth a shot.
It was listed as a Cordoba "B Stock"
Here's the listing from ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/222458349593

$300.00 bucks and 60 day warranty?
My hat's off to you!
Also interesting that the outfit describes themselves as a liquidator.
Explains how they got a-hold of something I didn't think Cordoba would let out, except through that kind of channel.
And that back, that's a first for me, never heard of flamed mahogany before.
Be interesting to see if they continue using it or if it was maybe a one-off for an industry show or something, might wexpalin the prototype designation.
Thanks for the feedback, keep us posted!

Treem

Reaction score
Guild Total
Great score, F30! :glee:

F30

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Just an update.
The guitar arrived and I can't find anything wrong with it.
It plays beautifully. It is nicely set up, plenty of bridge saddle, neck joint tight and clean. Fret ends are smooth and frets are nice and level. It is a joy to play and it sounds really nice. Doesn't even look like it has been played.
The closest thing I have to compare it too is a Taylor 314 which is also very nice which is at a much higher price point but I actually prefer the Guild. The arch back is beautiful and looks better than the picture in person.
Why they did a Book matched Flamed Mahogany back and sides is a mystery to me but luckily I ended up with it. They should have offered it as an option to the standard OM 240....I would have paid up for it if they all were this nice.
Fluke?? ...well maybe
Happy ending and I bought a hard shell case for it.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
$300.00 bucks and 60 day warranty?
My hat's off to you!
Also interesting that the outfit describes themselves as a liquidator.
Explains how they got a-hold of something I didn't think Cordoba would let out, except through that kind of channel.
And that back, that's a first for me, never heard of flamed mahogany before.
Be interesting to see if they continue using it or if it was maybe a one-off for an industry show or something, might wexpalin the prototype designation.
Thanks for the feedback, keep us posted!

Al, That seller Acousticsales is a Local to the Oxnard shop liquidator that Guild sometimes gives them extra stock, prototypes, and what would be considered instruments with minute flaws to sell without Factory warranty. They also handle Cordoba stock as well. I purchased an Orpheum through them last year for an extremely reasonable price and I still can't find the flaw in it. Their communication is top notch, They don't mark the guitars in any way like MIRC does, and they ship fast. They are also an "outlet" for Cordoba and their guitars. If you will check their inventory on Ebay they have several of the higher end Cordoba Fusion and Classical guitars listed for sale right now at Awesome prices.

Congrats on a Cool Guitar F30! That is some Kick A$$ Maple on the back of your Guitar! I definitely would buy from Acousticsales again if I see they have something I like. They are on my short list of shops that I will purchase from without worry on the internet.

TX

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
What a great guitar!! I'm with TX that the back looks like stained Maple, but when you look at the inside, that's mahogany. Did they laminate maple to mahogany ever?

Either way, cool guitar and an KILLER deal!! Congrats!! :encouragement:

docfishr

Reaction score
What a great guitar!! I'm with TX that the back looks like stained Maple, but when you look at the inside, that's mahogany. Did they laminate maple to mahogany ever?

You may be on to something there davisman. It is supposedly a prototype ............ ain't it?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I've never seen an example of it here, that I can remember.
But, "Sure, why not?" ***
You may be on to something there davisman. It is supposedly a prototype ............ ain't it?
Yes I think it really is a prototype as ad said, based on the bookmatched construction and/or use of maple.
I'm thinking maybe it was built for a NAMM Show, thus the maple veneer for visual appeal?
Also we've seen several Guild prototypes come up for sale from that source in the last couple of years, as TX mentions, that were originally NAMM pieces.
Why they did a Book matched Flamed Mahogany back and sides is a mystery to me but luckily I ended up with it.
I'm guessing that if it wasn't for purely aesthetic reasons, it's because finding or using a blank that would have been big enough for a one-piece outer layer would have been prohibitively expensive?
I'm thinking primarily aesthetic though, as it has a certain elegance not usually seen on arched backs.
Also thinking maybe not too much more expensive to build that way than the typical "3 one-piece layers" method?
Traditionally they just glued together the layers and then steam-pressed 'em to make the arch.
I assume they're using the same technique in China, now that they have arch-back capability, although it's possible the guitar was built in Oxnard where they still have the press that dates all the way back to Westerly at least.
I seriously doubt they're pressing backs here and sending 'em to China, though.

***It occurs to me that maybe the 2 different woods would behave differently in the press, maybe why it's not common to laminate differing woods that way, and maybe why they bookmatched the maple?
To make sure the back stayed in one piece?
Also assuming that when they use the same wood for outside layers the center layer wood is compatible with the process as long as the outer woods are the same?
Anybody?

Last edited: