Looking for a Guild FIshman Prefix Pro

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

I remeber that when visiting MN 1975 I saw a sign on 494 "Think Metric - One Mile Equals 1609 Meters"

HAAHAHAAHAHAAAAAAAA . . . . I can imagine all yankees thinking "Hey, that sounds clever - lets start doing it."

1 kilometer is 1000 meters
1 meter is 1000 millimeters

and so on

Instead of that complicated system you have much easier system, where you do not have to remember how many digits you move the decimal point left or right

1 mile = 8 furlong = 80 chains = 1760 yards = 5280 feet = 63360 inches

Finally - one thousandth of millimeter - aka micrometer - is roughly slightly over 25 times more accurate than thousandth of an inch, but close enough precicion for big slowspeed machinery.

But I completely agree, that while humans have been using old measuring systems for milleniums, it is indeed quite difficult to change our habits. In pro-audio we still talk "inchic" when discussing loudspeaker diameter, magnetic tape speed/width or drum sizes.

Peace

So what do you call two spiders? - rod = 16 feet

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hello

I remeber that when visiting MN 1975 I saw a sign on 494 "Think Metric - One Mile Equals 1609 Meters"

HAAHAHAAHAHAAAAAAAA . . . . I can imagine all yankees thinking "Hey, that sounds clever - lets start doing it."

But I completely agree, that while humans have been using old measuring systems for milleniums, it is indeed quite difficult to change our habits. In pro-audio we still talk "inchic" when discussing loudspeaker diameter, magnetic tape speed/width or drum sizes.

Yep. What I'm talkin' 'bout

So what do you call two spiders? - rod = 16 feet

I've finally met my match for bizarre humor. :glee:

You too my friend!

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
- naturally we might do it every new year and forget about skip years completely !

NO NO NO AND ONE MORE NO !!!!!

Of course we would not get rid of skip years - timing the day would be correct, but timing calendar not - in thirty years we would be one month off - in roughly 360 years we would be back to normal . . .

Imagine 180 years later - 4th of July would be in mid winter - and we call June "KESÄKUU = summer month" - some summer with snow and cold ( now it is only cold - mostly no snow . . .)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
naturally we might do it every new year and forget about skip years completely !

NO NO NO AND ONE MORE NO !!!!!

Of course we would not get rid of skip years - timing the day would be correct, but timing calendar not - in thirty years we would be one month off - in roughly 360 years we would be back to normal . . .

Imagine 180 years later - 4th of July would be in mid winter - and we call June "KESÄKUU = summer month" - some summer with snow and cold ( now it is only cold - mostly no snow . . .)

I think this is a forum first when a guy argues with his own previous post.
:glee:
But the real question is, what the heck is a "Skip year"?
At first thought you meant what we call a "Leap Year" where an extra day is added (February 29th) to balance out the previous 3 years' unclocked 1/4 of a day.
But by that measure, in 30 years we'd only be 7.5 days off...I still think the atomic clock's the way to go:
"FOCS 1, a continuous cold caesium fountain atomic clock in Switzerland, started operating in 2004 at an uncertainty of one second in 30 million years."

We could probably tighten that up if we could keep the cesium a little colder.
:glee:

Last edited:

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

Leap year is what I ment - but since I never studied english, my vocabulary is somewhat lousy - and I did not bother checking it in dictionary.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
But by that measure, in 30 years we'd only be 7.5 days off..

Howdy

Absolutely right - perhaps too little sleep or too much beer in this end previously. So one year is roughly 6 hours too short - then 365x4=1460 year cycle means that each generation would be perfectly happy with names of months - unless the names were something like ours in Finland

Tammi - Center of Winter
Helmi - in winter snow makes pearls = helmi
Maalis - earth starts showing, when snow starts melting
Huhti - time to start cutting forest to be burnt later = burn-clearing
Touko - time to start work on fields before summer
Kesä - Summer month
Heinä - Hay harvesting month
Elo - Harvest time
Syys - Autumn
Loka - cold wether - rain and mud
Marras - month of death - morte - earth freezes
Joulu - Christmas

But if food gets produced in tubes instead on fields - then words like harvest would be in same category with dinosaur . . .

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
I am late to this party, but just for clarification...

"Chains" are a measurement used mainly for forestry...as in, "The fire is moving at 5 chains/hour..."

I think most Americans would go: 12 inches to a Foot; 3 Feet to a Yard; ...100 Yards is a football field...; 5280 Feet is a mile...

( A "Chain" is 66 feet, so my example above is not what I would call a "lazy fire," but not like they experience in the west or Canada)

We have to think hard when we hear about a 5K or 10K road race...but then a Marathon is always 26-somethiing miles.

When I first visited Finland with Sirkku in the late '70's, I became quite adept at converting Metric to English units...though the BARRS on the
modern fire pump pressure meters had me stumped for a while...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Dadzmad

Reaction score
Tuned in to hear about the pre-amp but the subject has digressed.

Bill, a 66 ft Gunters Chain was and is the basis for the survey of public land in the midwestern US. A mile is 80 even chains. A square mile is a section, 36 of which in a square 6 on a side is a Township.

A 1/4 section (40 chains on a side) is 160 acres. A 1/4 1/4 (20 chains on a side) is 40 acres. The surveyors rule of thumb was "if chains be multiplied by chains the product is reduced to acres by pointing off on decimal on the left hand. A 1/4 of a chain is a rod that further refined the calculation of acres from the basis of chains.

In the midwest we measure in decimal feet today but that was an outgrowth of route surveying done in the 1800's for construction of the railroads. Percent of grade was the rise or fall in feet through a 100 foot station which is also a common unit of length still used today in civil construction.

just sayin - these units are very much alive

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
Hah! I figured someone would chime in to correct me! I guess I should have specified "Northeast USA," as we don't got townships here in Massachusetts! And things aren't anything like in a straight line.

One of my last fire reports before I retired was for a large brush fire, and the NFIRS (read National) report required measurements in Chains...while the state wanted acres...had to call the district forest warden who went out and did the boundaries with a GPS to give me the info. Just sayin', not a measurement used by the common man!

My son has recently gotten his state forester's license, so I am sure he could slap me left and right and may use it all the time...but not the local fire service!

Hey Joe, when I tell you that the bald eagles nest is 100 Chains off that old cart road, where ya gonna look? :biggrin-new: ...yeah I know, 660 feet in...

swiveltung

Reaction score
I thought "chains" came from surveyors chains. But hey, forestry is fine with me! WTH happened to my thread? :>)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi, swiveltung. I am new to the forums, but an old fan of Guild guitars.
I have a problem similar to the one you mentioned here.
Do you have an update?
Which model Songbird is the “hum” problem in?
I have seen 3 different models:
1. 3” (approx.) deep body, thinner but like regular acoustic construction.
2. 2” deep body, one piece back and sides, knobs on side near neck joint
3. 2” deep body, one piece back and sides, knobs on side but on upper bout
My two Songbirds are type 3, both made around 1993. My first one is my main gig guitar I have used since I bought it new. Lots of wear from beach weather. Sounds great, works fine.
My second is in nearly new condition, hardly ever used. That is the one with the “ground buzz or hum” problem.