NGD: 1982 Ibanez MC-150 Musician

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I'm posting this mainly to highlight apparent inspiration re. some of Ibanez's late '70s & early '80s guitar models. This one is from the short-lived Musician series. Its body shape reminds me of early Rickenbacker solidbodys like the Combo 850. But the headstock and pickups remind me of another brand. :) Have a look:

EB27E57C-DFA9-4F65-997B-E5FB26A878EB_zpsgmhvsetd.jpg

04EC9505-6F7D-4891-B3A5-4B15AFB3A729_zpsilxit2vg.jpg

Some trivia re. the pickup: it's a Maxon-made "Super 58" from shortly before Maxon got out of the pickup biz. The six-digit code tells us it was made on 13 Feb 1982. (The initial "8" is a production line code…it's the "2" that indicates the year.) When found in a Greco guitar this same pickup is known as the DRY model, or DRY Z since most samples were ink-stamped with a "Z" in addition to the numerical code. Short AlNiCo 3 magnet typically, though some examples feature AlNiCo 4. Lightly potted. All documented examples to date use poly-coated wire, despite claims of NOS 1950s plain enamel wire also being used. The coating is thinner than typical and the coils have been machine-wound using higher-than-typical tension. By mid-1982 Maxon had sold their pickup-making machinery, and apparently some of their pickup designs too, to the FujiGen Gakki company. FujiGen continued making this design, keeping the Super 58 name for Ibanez and creating a new name, "DRY 1982," for Greco. Whatever the name these are fab pickups, sounding to my ears very much like early Gibson patent #s. They sound great in split coil mode too, as (optionally) in this particular guitar.

-Dave-

Last edited:

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Sure, I'll add a "full frontal" to this post as soon as I take it. :)

-Dave-

Last edited:

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Wait…what?! :eagerness:

Edit: better get a placeholder pic in here! :) From the previous owner:

ABDB7A7A-4886-4798-AEED-C5DF6F15BE48_zpsqjec9apk.jpg

When I first saw it listed it reminded me of this early Rickenbacker, a Combo 800:

RICKENBACKER+COMBO+GUITARZ+BY+BERTRAM.jpg

There's also a resemblance to this Rickie, my '59 Model 450. Both are neck-through-body guitars too:

ACB24484-B42B-4CC9-B888-802981AC6A95_zpsyojfrysc.jpg

-Dave-

Last edited:

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
That's a beautiful axe, Dave! I used to lust over these Musician and Artist models in the 80s. I soooo badly wanted an MC500 or an AR300, because of the pickups and build quality. I've only learned recently, and many guitars later, that Maxon made many of these pickups. I also suspect that these Musician models and early Hamers may have been an influence on the first PRS builds.

My first quality solid body guitar was a 1979 Ibanez Studio in the classic brown, triangle-shaped, green interior case. It had two humbuckers, one master volume knob, two other black knobs, a 3-way pickup selector, and a little black button that was an active/passive switch. As a young guitarist obsessed with Santana, these pickups got that pure, thick tone when I pushed that little black button. Although I'm certain that the TRC said "ST300," I think it was actually an ST200 according to pics on the net. I've always wondered if Maxon also made these pickups. If I ever spot another one, I'm gonna grab it.

Have fun playing! It looks to be in amazing condition. Did it also come in one of the indestructible, brown triangle cases?

Last edited:

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
jp, the Musician came in a rectangular Ibanez case. Not positive it's original but I think so 'cuz the guitar fits in snugly.

Another of my recent Ibanezes is in fact an '82 AR300. (Basically a double-cut LP. Much closer in construction, if not in cosmetics, to an LP than the so-called "lawsuit" copies.) Lovely flame-top 'burst, easy player, killer sound. Fit & finish are as good as it gets. Crazy high price/performance ratio. Heaviest guitar I own at 9lbs 4oz. This one came in a brown wedge case.

I'm pretty sure Maxon made most of the '70s & early '80s Ibanez pickups. Gotoh may've made some too. Maxon hit the sweet spot with the DRY/Super 58 pickup IMO. It doesn't have quite the airiness of the earlier U-1000/Super 70 but it's even more responsive to pick/finger attack.

-Dave-

Last edited:

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Ah. This is the case I'm thinking of. I guess a trapezoid is more accurate.

My Studio was also super heavy. I'd love to see a pic of your Artist if you get a chance to post it. Those are fantastic guitars with sustain for days.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Ah. This is the case I'm thinking of. I guess a trapezoid is more accurate.

Oh, neat! That's a different shape to any of the '80s Ibanez cases I've seen so far. The AR300's case has the same colors and outer texture but is shaped more like a typical LP case.

My Studio was also super heavy. I'd love to see a pic of your Artist if you get a chance to post it. Those are fantastic guitars with sustain for days.

Yep, those were the days of "heavier is better." :) I rebelled against that for many years, most of my playing life in fact, but more recently I've come around to understand that it has its pluses.

I don't have a good AR300 pic, but here's a couple of an '83 AM50. A mini-semi, like Gibson's ES-339 but earlier. Same size & basic shape as the AR300 if otherwise very different (for one thing it only weighs 7 lbs). Another great playing & sounding instrument:

486ADAFB-2AD5-47A2-ABAC-75909B5AF759_zpsoumxclhs.jpg

FBB819DC-823D-4E7C-B3EC-9C9AF584917F_zps3b9nwuzz.jpg

-Dave-

Last edited:

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Yep, those were the days of "heavier is better." :) I rebelled against that for many years, most of my playing life in fact, but more recently I've come around to understand that it has its pluses.
After some years of touring with a heavy-*** 70s Fender Strat, I also came to this realization. The big headstock and dense, heavy body added some serious resonance and sustain that the lighter body models just don't have. I'm willing to compromise.

I don't have a good AR300 pic, but here's a couple of an '83 AM50. A mini-semi, like Gibson's ES-339 but earlier. Same size & basic shape as the AR300 if otherwise very different (for one thing it only weighs 7 lbs). Another great playing & sounding instrument:

Oh man, that's so cool. Why don't I remember this model? Now I've got to add another one to the wish list! Thanks for sharing.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Why don't I remember this model? Now I've got to add another one to the wish list!

The AM50 wasn't around long. Late '82 through '83, I think. Maybe into '84, though that's when Ibanez overhauled their lineup and dropped lotsa models. There was also an AM205 with a figured mahogany top, "antique violin" finish, a pickguard and fancy block fretboard markers. And in '83 (& maybe early '84) only also an AM100 with a black finish and white guard. Super 58s in all of 'em.

Edit: looking at the catalogs I see the AM205 makes it into 1986 at least.

-Dave-

Last edited:

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
So here's an iPhone pic of my AR300. Doesn't show the maple figuring at all. The flame is pretty tight…shoulda taken a closeup. :)

6009C6D3-ADE5-4BC3-97C1-64FE85BAD59F_zpslcg0lfvb.jpg

It's a very elegant sounding guitar. Reminds me, despite being a solidbody, of the ES-350T I used to own. The dual-pickup blend, with the neck in parallel HB mode, has a way cool phasey quality. I mostly just plug into a reverb pedal & then into an amp and play clean. By comparison the MC150 is chimier and snappy while the AM50 is aggressive and likes to snarl & even twang.

-Dave-

Last edited:

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Gorgeous! It looks like a beefy axe. I suspect that the Gibraltar bridge and heavy tailpiece contribute to a lot of sustain. I also really dig the headstock shape of this Ibanez era as well as the tension-adjustable locking tuners that these guitars had. They seemed to be the one Japanese company that truly broke away and started to define their own brand. My brother had an original Ibanez Paul Stanley Iceman that despite its outright gaudiness perfectly typified the rock and roll guitar.

I'm really intrigued by the AM series now. I've tried the newer Artcore guitars, but I like the neck profiles on these older 70s and 80s models, which seem slightly slimmer than their newer counterparts. You've really got me intrigued now, and I'm going to keep my eyes open for a semi-hollow.

Thanks for the pic!

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Yer welcome! Yeah, everything about the AR300 contributes to evenness in volume and long sustain. I don't always (most of the time in fact) want that but this guitar delivers a primo version of it. The pickups' sensitivity and tonal variety—the harder you play the brighter & edgier they get—saves the overall sound from blandness.

Further digging suggests that although the AM205 is in the '86 catalog it was discontinued in late '85.

Last evening I ran across a Premier Guitar video visit to Rickenbacker's "museum," during which John Hall (Ric owner & CEO) talked a bit about Roger Rossmeisl and the "German carve." I think you can see Rossmeisl's influence in guitars like the MC150 and likely some PRS designs too. Hall was also proud to note that Rickenbacker had a humbucking version of its horseshoe pickup back in 1952. Not patented…they didn't think it was that big a deal. :) (National had a humbucker in 1940, BTW. And Adolph Rickenbacker was involved in National…) Hall also made a good case for Rickenbacker as the creator of the first commercially viable magnetic pickup.

-Dave-

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Oooo can I get in on this ? Awesome score ,
Love the artists and might get one one day .

Here's my girl got her in 78 beat her up playing her but she still rocks . I made a conversation plate under the lead super 88 that allows me screw on a a custom trim plate I made gold anodized aluminum that allows me to install humbuckers with no damage to the guitar :)

Wish I could find parts for her but there hard to come by :(

32BA0EE5-E6A5-487D-856E-1B5090D98A06.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Yow, that's a sharp looker, Ray! Just gorgeous figuring. Visually I think the late '70s Ibanez designs are their best: they were pulling out all the stops to get a foothold in the market. Do you get on with the electronics? I love lotsa knobs & switches but at the same time I know I can get too easily pulled down the rabbit hole by 'em. :)

-Dave-

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice, Ray. I love the abalone dot inlays and ebony neck.

Aiigh! Ok, guys you got me. I may have to put aside my next build -- a vintage parts Fender P/J bass -- to find the Ibanez ST200 of my youth.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
…the Ibanez ST200 of my youth.

There's a minty one on Reverb if that's any help. :friendly_wink:

BTW a guy local to me decided he had to sell his '82 (first month of production probably) AM205. I had no choice but to help him out. :) It's another gem.

-Dave-

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
There's a minty one on Reverb if that's any help. :friendly_wink:

BTW a guy local to me decided he had to sell his '82 (first month of production probably) AM205. I had no choice but to help him out. :) It's another gem.

-Dave-
I saw that one, but I wanted the one with the dark sunburst, like I used to have. There's one on eBay, but it's got that rash mark on the back and the extra drill hole where someone decided to relocate the strap button. And it's $1000+ which is a bit too much. For that much, I'd like it a tad mintier. And wow! I'm curious about the neck profile on the AM205. Is it like the older Ibanezes or thick like the newer Artcores and Artstars?

Last edited: