Blasphemy?

Minnesota Flats

Reaction score
With all those pots, pups and switches, the thing probably hefted in at 12 or 13 pounds, so they cut off the horns as a weight-reduction measure. Unfortunately, it then became perilously neck-heavy due to the 12 tuning machines. But it was worth it in the end, since nobody could figure out how to play it anyway. ;-P

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
HEY!
Some of my best friends are engineers!
Of course, they often fail to foresee the problems that must arise to fulfill the solutions they create, but that's for the marketing team to worry about.

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Okay okay, all joking aside (and as happy as I am with my single bisonic pickup with simple volume and tone) I will proudly say that I am a huge admirer of the "big brown" bass and would love to someday have a bass in the stable with a similar dual-pickup/dual-filter setup. Though I can do without the quadrophonic pickup

Yggdrasil

Reaction score
Do you still have this bass?

No - sold it a few years ago.
It was sent to Alembic by a previous owner for modding by Rick Turner.
No suck switch.

From the previous owner:
"As far as the control layout, it is pretty straightforward. There is a 5 way pickup selector and master volume on the horn. The top 5 knobs are for the neck pickup. The bottom 5 are for the bridge pickup. There is a volume and tone for each pickup when it is in passive mode. Then you can use the dial switch on the bass for low/high/or band pass. There is a q knob that you can dial in the frequency you want to accentuate and there is also a blend that lets you mix the q that you dialed in to the passive sound. I know it seems crazy. I think the best way to figure it out is to set it on one pickup and just tweak. Then go for the other channel ! The possibilities are endless. This setup puts any series II to shame for tonal variations. You will also notice 2 trim pots on the face of the bass. That is for the gain of each preamp. There is also a small toggle switch that selects stereo or mono. ... 2 superfilters ! "

My old page on it:

http://music.jeffersoncampervan.com/AlembicStarfire.html

mgod

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I think it's sitting here. Or maybe I gave it to RT when he was staying over.