Blasphemy?

wisconsindead

Reaction score
This is what my bass currently looks like, well almost. It only has a volume knob now and it isn't the original. I took out the bridge pickup as I struggle to find myself wanting to use it and more importantly, it sits too high and my strings bang against it when I dig in. Not a good sound. So I took it out, but that wasn't a good look either. Then I got the idea to put some tie dye in the hole. I actually think it looks pretty cool. The look of this bass keeps changing. I kind of miss the pristine look of it before I altered everything. But this bass isn't a collectible, its a player and I play it a lot. To help pay up for my sins I have sold all of the original pots, caps, screws, tuners, bridge etc to fretwear. He's trying to restore some starfires, so I figured better on a bass than in a drawer. I was thinking of buying that pristine cherry burst starfire a few weeks ago. My friend asked "so you think you'll sell this one to buy it (the cherry burst)". I was offended he even suggested such a thing. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

zzT5PYa.jpg

Last edited:

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think y'oughta do something playful with those empty shaft holes, though.
Something to complement the tie dye.
:friendly_wink:

Emeralds! Well, OK, rhinestones. :encouragement:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
put an Alembic pickup in the bridge position. and u know, more knobs.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
put an Alembic pickup in the bridge position. and u know, more knobs.

That's so '70's though.
I'm thinkin' what we really need is a refin with a full blown '60's retro theme.

7476728236_3216779f50.jpg

It's got the rose and would probably even hide those pesky shaft holes.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Blasphemy, but it is your bass so...

I don't mod my gear so my solution would have been to put the almost intact SF II on the market and replace it with a SF I but then I would have the problem of buying one bass, selling another and transferring the bridge.

I will be interested in what it looks like if/when the holes are filled with something. Maybe you should start playing metal and have some of these crawling out of the holes...

vinyl-realistic-snakes~39_9600

mellowgerman

Reaction score
If you have bonded with this bass and don't plan on selling it, I see nothing wrong with removing some hardware and electronics to suit your playing style and needs. That said, it pickup height was the main issue, I would have just removed the shim/mounting ring or sanded it down a bit. Either way, I like the little portal to psychedelphia in its place ☺

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Like 14 of them.....

well lets see, u need 1 for each string, per pickup (of course), so theres 8, 2 vols and 2 tones...12...1 master vol...13...aaaand then that last one has to be the "just in case we run out of acid" knob, which you hope to never use, but are sure happy it's there if needed.

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
that last one has to be the "just in case we run out of acid" knob, which you hope to never use, but are sure happy it's there if needed.
Thanks Eric. Been wondering what that big one was for, on the 74 pic.....

Minnesota Flats

Reaction score
That Godwin GuitarOrgan is a bit too radical for me. I can get by with a mere 3 split pickups, 12 strings, 12 knobs and 4 toggles. Call me a minimalist if you must:

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Minimalist.
With that said, looks like the owner of that thing apparently gave up on it as it's missing 3 strings.... I see it has a reverse though... those come handy when you're stuck in tight places.

Minnesota Flats

Reaction score
I think that might be "reverse stereo" ("up/down" instead of "right/left" channels)... ;-)

Six knobs to control half of each of three pickups, six more to control the other half of each of the three pickups. Think that might get confusing on the fly? Nah, not while you're also striving to pick twelve strings cleanly while simultaneously deciding "stereo or mono" as well as which half of which pickup to turn off all together: piece 'o' cake!

I'm gonna go out on a limb, here, and guess that an engineer had more to do with designing this thing than a guitar player...

Minnesota Flats

Reaction score
"With that said, looks like the owner of that thing apparently gave up on it as it's missing 3 strings..."

Once he'd had a crack at trying to figure the thing out, he probably saw the string breakage as Divine Intervention.