(soon to be) NGD, '64 Jetstar

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I got a message from my former student who's Sales Manager at the Columbus GC saying that he just got in a '64 Jetstar. Did I want pics? Um, yeah. Missing the bridge cover, but everything looks good and original (maybe refinished?). No case, but for $699... I'll take it. I have to wait 2 weeks (apparently they have to do that with used stuff in case its stolen), but then its mine. Another one for the stable.
20170330_131325_zps53zcmx2r.jpg

20170330_131333_zpslpl9fwb4.jpg

20170330_131353_zpseqhzr0bg.jpg

20170330_131401_zpsctmusen3.jpg

20170330_131408_zpsjgaop9hc.jpg

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Wow Acorn! I know they had a trade embargo in the early 60's but that body looks like it could be made from Cuban Mahogany with that wonderful grain to it. Personally whether it is or not I think that is one superb looking Guild, Congrats!

TX

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow Acorn! I know they had a trade embargo in the early 60's but that body looks like it could be made from Cuban Mahogany with that wonderful grain to it. Personally whether it is or not I think that is one superb looking Guild, Congrats!

TX
Even if its not, its going to be old growth Honduran. A lovely mahogany slab!

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
headstock shape is really interesting. was that standard for these?

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
nice score! congrats. you did well. that is some beautiful figuring indeed. I own one and think you will be happy with it.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow!! What a deal! The guitar looks in good shape, but that headstock faceplate is a bit rough, but I'm sure you'll sort that out. Congrats. I hate waiting two weeks!! :encouragement:

p.s. - look at that mahogany!! You really don't see that any more!!

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow!! What a deal! The guitar looks in good shape, but that headstock faceplate is a bit rough, but I'm sure you'll sort that out. Congrats. I hate waiting two weeks!! :encouragement:

p.s. - look at that mahogany!! You really don't see that any more!!
And to think, it was all covered by red paint (?) when it left the factory. I think this is one instance when a stripped finish is more beautiful than the original finish.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I had to go up to Columbus today, so I stopped in to GC to visit the Jetstar. (One more week to go on its quarantine.) Everything was as described; plays nice, although there's a little fret noise on the high e-string on the higher frets that I'll have to deal with. The refinish isn't too bad, a little thicker than I'd like, maybe poly instead of nitro, but not gloopy. I'll decide whether to sand and refinish later.
The Dearmond P-90 has a great sound and when cranked, can get some really strong, creamy overdrive, even without a high gain-y amp (I was playing it through a BF Princeton Reverb reissue.)
My friend is going to see if they have a used case that fits and throw that in when I go pick it up for keeps next week.
IMG_0095_zpstcemp6i3.jpg

matsickma

Reaction score
I have always been biased to the the sound/tone of the chrome soapbar "middle" pickup position on a S-50. Having been weened on such a model a vintage Polara can't duplicate it. I have an old beater S100 that may someday get a middle PUP but no time soon.

BTW... I see thus thread often says the "soap bar" pickup was a DeArmond. I recall years ago Hans clarified that it was actually a Guild pickup and not made by DeArmond. I don't think it was stated in the "Guild Bible" but I recall Hans making that point years ago.

Call out to Hans...can you comment on the design and manufacturer of the "soap bar" single coil pickup?

M