Incredible catch and release

CA-35

Reaction score
5fc7aaef297e00704829fbfb907e17ee

By now we know that eating more fruits and vegetables is good for our health, but a new study suggests that eating even more produce can prevent millions of deaths each year.
In the report, published in the International Journal of Epidemiology, researchers from Imperial College London conducted a meta-analysis of 95 studies looking at fruit and vegetable intake. They estimated that 7.8 million premature global deaths could be avoided yearly if people ate 10 portions of fruits and vegetables a day.
The researchers characterize 10 portions as 800 grams of fruits and vegetables a day. For context, one medium apple is around 182 grams.
Already eating plenty of fruits and vegetables cut people’s risk of early death from heart disease and cancer. But the researchers estimated that if people ate up to 10 portions a day, there would be a 24% lower risk of heart disease, 33% lower risk of stroke, 28% lower risk of cardiovascular disease, 13% lower risk of cancer, and a 31% lower risk of dying early when compared to not eating any fruit or vegetables.

The fruits and vegetables that were linked to lower risk of heart problems included the usual suspects like apples, citrus, and leafy veggies like spinach. Other cruciferous vegetables like broccoli and Brussels sprouts as well as peppers and green beans were linked to potentially lower cancer risk.

The researchers didn’t show why higher portions of fruits and vegetables can lead to fewer deaths, but some of the basic nutrients in the produce can improve health. “Fruit and vegetables have been shown to reduce cholesterol levels, blood pressure, and to boost the health of our blood vessels and immune system,” said study author Dagfinn Aune of the Imperial College London School of Public Health in a statement. “This may be due to the complex network of nutrients they hold. For instance they contain many antioxidants, which may reduce DNA damage, and lead to a reduction in cancer risk.”

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Right.
Our (or most) only problem: Having been addicted to the taste of fat and sugar. I will not say by which way, as it might pull us on a slippery tangent.
Just follow the money!

Last edited:

CA-35

Reaction score
Right.
Our (or most) only problem: Having been addicted to the taste fat and sugar. I will not say by which way, as it might pull us on a slippery tangent.
Just follow the money!

Well said my brother!! However I will add this: Our bodies require a certain amount of fat and salt but we do not require sugar. Processed and refined sugar is poison. Abstain at all cost unless it's a dab of Worcestershire sauce.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
The researchers didn’t show why higher portions of fruits and vegetables can lead to fewer deaths, but some of the basic nutrients in the produce can improve health. “Fruit and vegetables have been shown to reduce cholesterol levels, blood pressure, and to boost the health of our blood vessels and immune system,” said study author Dagfinn Aune of the Imperial College London School of Public Health in a statement. “This may be due to the complex network of nutrients they hold. For instance they contain many antioxidants, which may reduce DNA damage, and lead to a reduction in cancer risk.”
Not just the antioxidants but bioflavonoids have been discovered to have a variety of beneficial effects.
And take the case of things like capsaicin in hot peppers, known to be beneficial to mucous membranes (nose & throat).
VOCs in garlic and ginger known to have antibiotic properties.
Licopene in tomatoes is supposed to be another cancer-preventing element.
Just getting enough fiber helps keep the ol' canal "scrubbed" which means toxins don't get stuck in there for too long.
With due respect for our UK members, and joking aside now, I found interesting that study is from the UK which does have that stereotype of boiling the everything "to death".
A lot of the nutrients get leached into water and discarded, and there's a lack of fiber in the diet.
I freely admit to ignorance as to whether or not that's still true.
Here in CA it's easy to get plenty of fresh vegetables almost year 'round so I do have sympathy for those places whose climates limit the supply.
Final note: a couple of years ago I also came across a study investigating which vegetables tended to concentrate insecticides, which are a whole 'nother source of carcinogens.
So one's got to be sure to look at both sides of all the issues.
In particular is the issue of fruits and vegetables imported from countries which may have far looser regulations regarding insecticide levels than we do.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Great way to enjoy the Eelpout: Kalamojakka (Finnish fish soup). Basically, Potatoes, onion, celery, water, cream, butter, allspice berries, carrots, fish chunks, spices and Finnish bread. YUM!

Sometimes known as the soup that frightens children.:fat:

"Eat your spinach or I'll make Kalamojakka" ?
Then hide a monkfish head at the bottom of the bowl.

:biggrin-new:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Well said my brother!! However I will add this: Our bodies require a certain amount of fat..
A long time ago I learned it is in fact very important in children for development of myelin sheath around nerves.
The craving for fat, salt, and sugars (more properly, carbohydrates) is hard-wired into us.
They are, after all, essential to proper blood chemistry and other metabolic functions.
It's the over-indulgence enabled by over-supply that's the problem.

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
"Eat your spinach or I'll make Kalamojakka" ?
Then hide a monkfish head at the bottom of the bowl.

:biggrin-new:

My grandad would make it with the fish head in there. He would put it in his bowl of course, but it was the allspice balls that would send us kids running.:cower:

CA-35

Reaction score
Not just the antioxidants but bioflavonoids have been discovered to have a variety of beneficial effects.
And take the case of things like capsaicin in hot peppers, known to be beneficial to mucous membranes (nose & throat).
VOCs in garlic and ginger known to have antibiotic properties.
Licopene in tomatoes is supposed to be another cancer-preventing element.
Just getting enough fiber helps keep the ol' canal "scrubbed" which means toxins don't get stuck in there for too long.
With due respect for our UK members, and joking aside now, I found interesting that study is from the UK which does have that stereotype of boiling the everything "to death".
A lot of the nutrients get leached into water and discarded, and there's a lack of fiber in the diet.
I freely admit to ignorance as to whether or not that's still true.
Here in CA it's easy to get plenty of fresh vegetables almost year 'round so I do have sympathy for those places whose climates limit the supply.
Final note: a couple of years ago I also came across a study investigating which vegetables tended to concentrate insecticides, which are a whole 'nother source of carcinogens.
So one's got to be sure to look at both sides of all the issues.
In particular is the issue of fruits and vegetables imported from countries which may have far looser regulations regarding insecticide levels than we do.

Oh Al I didn't expect that from you being the milk drinking heathen that you are, bravo my friend.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Oh Al I didn't expect that from you being the milk drinking heathen that you are, bravo my friend.

Of course there are those cultures that just seem to refute the evidence.
the-maasai-tribe-3-638.jpg

Where anybody under 6 foot's pitied for having been stunted at birth:
D300%205592.jpg

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I like there article. :playful:
yeah...... I saw it.
Whaddaya expect when ya give college kids journalistic privileges these days?

(They're lucky their cattle're subject to tolerant husbandry rules over there.
Good teeth, too.)

Last edited:

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Spinach salad, creamed spinach. spinach sauteed in olive oil and garlic, spinach quiche, and lets not forget spinach potato knishes oh my.....

Why am I thinking of Forrest Gump now ? Just swap Spinach and Shrimp, I think.