Incredible catch and release

CA-35

Reaction score
That’s a whole lotta lobster!
A charter boat company in Bermuda caught a whopper of a Florida lobster weighing a massive 13.98 lbs.
The company told PEOPLE Magazine in an email that it was caught accidentally while hook and line fishing at night for snapper from shore. The hook was removed from the massive crustacean, pics were taken, it was weighed, and then released.

I love the fact that they released it, sometimes you gotta give back to Mother Nature. Also, in my experience the bigger the lobster, the older it is, and usually they are tough and chewy. Better off with a nice 2-3 pounder. I'm sure that swayed their decision to release it.

For some reason I am now in the mood for seafood....................

giant-lobster.jpg

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
For some reason I am now in the mood for seafood....................

I always am.
Wonder if that thing will taste as good as an average size one?... think I heard somewhere that the biggest ones did not.
Still would love me a steak outta that one for some reason. :fat:

CA-35

Reaction score
Wonder if that thing will taste as good as an average size one?... think I heard somewhere that the biggest ones did not.
Still would love me a steak outta that one for some reason. :fat:

Pascal you are spot on; the bigger they are, the older they are, and that usually means tough and chewy. You are much better off with a 2 to 3 pounder (coulda sworn I read that somewhere close by!!!).

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
That is one big a** lobster. I'm a stout advocate of catch and release anyway, and when it comes to specimens such as that, it just wouldn't be right to end it's life if you didn't have too.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Oh WOW!! I've got three big lobster tails in the freezer. I think it's time I "released' one into some boiling water...... YUM!!

CA-35

Reaction score
Oh WOW!! I've got three big lobster tails in the freezer. I think it's time I "released' one into some boiling water...... YUM!!

Oh no say it ain't so Thomas!! Never, ever, boil lobster. That's sacrilege. Chefs all around the world are rolling there eyes in dismay. When you boil anything you are literally sucking the flavor out of whatever you are boiling and all the flavor winds up in the water................hence soup.

If you really want to treat yourself broil them, or, if you don't want the mess and hassle of that, you are better off steaming them. They cook quicker and they will retain their flavor that way.

Ess gezunterhait my friend.....................

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks for the tip, Scott. We actually do them on the GRILL and it hardly takes a moment. I was creating a statement more than sharing a recipe!! Never thought about the broiler, but it's a good idea today because it's cold and windy. Broiler it is!! :encouragement:

CA-35

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, Scott. We actually do them on the GRILL and it hardly takes a moment. I was creating a statement more than sharing a recipe!! Never thought about the broiler, but it's a good idea today because it's cold and windy. Broiler it is!! :encouragement:

That was very funny.................."Release one into boiling water"

If you really want to lose your mind after you thaw them out cut the tail length-wise in half and pull out the meat. Chop it into bite size pieces then dredge in seasoned (salt, pepper, garlic powder) flour. The meat will be sticky because of the protein content so no need for an egg wash prior to the flour dredge. Then drop the pieces in to a deep pan with about two inches of oil. When they float they are done. While they are cooking (3-4 minutes tops) mix up some mayo, spicy mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Let the fried lobster cool then dip in your sauce and savor the amazing treat you just created. You can and will thank me profusely.

CA-35

Reaction score
Do 2 to 1 mayo to mustard then add the Worcestershire sauce a lil bit at a time. Add a lil lemon too. Enjoy as you celebrate your new NFL franchise.................The Las Vegas Raiders.

All this food talk is making me want to talk about Guild guitars...............any idea where I can find a site like that??

Last edited:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Right site, wrong category.....LOL!! Yeah, the Las Vegas Raiders...... not sure how I feel about that. Oh well, they didn't ask me.....

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
add the Worcestershire sauce
Tom:please disregard,Scott obviously had his mind somewhere else when he typed this.
+1 on the mustard though, but it all depends on what you call "mustard" here..... (and I know you know what the real stuff is).
As to the mayo, I'd say the lobster really deserves you to take the time to make the real thing here too, (with your chef's "savoir faire") and skip the Hellman's stuff.... I know some will say I'm a snob, but it is still night and day to me, sorry.
And I trust you will find a little "je-ne sais-quoi" to add to the whole thing (such as lemon as Scott suggested during a moment of lucidity :laughing:) to make it an experience to be remembered! :)

Last edited:

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Steamed whole Gulf Coast Blue Crab in the fall…one of my favs. Broiled/grilled lobster ain't bad either. And there's nothing wrong with a rich gumbo featuring either one! :)

-Dave-

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
"They've got me on so much Lexapro I've started making my own mayonnaise....." :witless:

p.s. - I think you mean Hellman's, but on this side of the Rockies, it's called Best Foods. Same lovely product, different name.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
As to the mayo, I'd say the lobster really deserves you to take the time to make the real thing here too, (with your chef's "savoir faire") and skip the Hellman's stuff.... I know some will say I'm a snob, but it is still night and day to me, sorry.
Mayo on lobster?!?!?
Sacrilege.
Mayo, (and only real mayo), is for asparagus.
Only real guitar (clarified) butter and lemon should ever touch lobster.
Unless it's Newburg.
Infidels!

CA-35

Reaction score
Oh Pascal, one thing comes to mind over and over after reading your edit of my recipe.....................................TOO MANY COOKS SPOIL THE BROTH!!

Yes one could certainly make mayo from scratch. Why stop there? He could rent a boat and dive gear and catch his own lobster too. The Hain's all natural works just fine for me, and rock a bye sweet baby James.
The mustard..............Gulden's or Boars Head spicy brown. Grey Poupon, of course, for you mustard snobs.
And yes in my fleeting moment of lucidity............Lemon, but not Meadowlark.
Leave it to a Frenchman to bash an Englishman's Worcestershire sauce. I'm surprised you and Adorshki aren't recommending the addition of milk or cream.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Mayo on lobster?!?!?
Sacrilege.
Mayo, (and only real mayo), is for asparagus.
Only real guitar (clarified) butter and lemon should ever touch lobster.
Unless it's Newburg.
Infidels!

My lobster standards were formed over a decade or two on the coast of Southern Maine. It is part of the culture to believe that big lobsters, when cooked, are not as tender as the smaller ones, with everyone agreeing that 5 pounds or more is "big". Big lobsters are thrown back, donated to an aquarium or sold to the customer who has put out the word that they believe bigger is better and will pay a premium price.

A Maine Lobster Roll is ambrosia (in the Food Of the Gods sense). While there are many opinions as to the One and True Way to prepare a lobster roll, they all involve mayonnaise. It is never a question of "if" but rather "how much".

Your sacrilege can be forgiven only because you do not admit to spending much time in the Northeast and thus have not been exposed to the Right Way to Do Things.