Incredible catch and release

CA-35

Reaction score
How'd this thing veer into boiled bread? :) :)

Well what had happened was....................A simple mayo, mustard and Worcestershire sauce recipe for fried lobster turned in to a French versus English culinary dispute. You know how snooty those French can be.

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
Well you know, for us pulp savages up here in the frigid north, fresh lobster isn't readily available, but we do have access to this delicacy we call fresh water lobster....

Eelpout_zpsv8vzrsqh.jpg

Eelpout, Bubot, Lawyer and various other descriptive terms. Also known to the French as: Lota lota

We have our various ways of preparing this delicious fare, but I'm thinking, there must be a truly delightful French method also.

a French versus English culinary dispute. You know how snooty those French can be.

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

CA-35

Reaction score
I knew this thread would catch on. At least it's not about nothing...... :stupid:

Roger that!!!!

Thomas do tell......................how did you prepare your lobster the other day?? Barbecued? Broiled? Fried and then covered with that wonderful mayo mustard and Worcestershire sauce? I hope it was the latter just to irritate Pascal!

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Oh how sweet it is!!

And that, my friend IS the problem.
Take the sugar out and I may reconsider, since I love anchovies, acquired a taste for malt vinegar (with fish & chips) and these are two of the main ingredients.
But I still contend that the delicate taste of lobster meat deserves to be left alone as much as possible, so I don't know how Tom went, but I favor the grill myself, to cook the beast. (and food in general)

CA-35

Reaction score
And for what it's worth...................if you've ever eaten Stone crabs the sauce that comes with................is mayo, mustard and the dreaded Worcestershire.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I have asked my wife what they were like. She said lobster is too sweet. She wasn't that big on crab and they charge to much for it. Shrimp she only likes piping hot and grilled.
She was just trying to make it easy for you.
What a kind soul.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Well you know, for us pulp savages up here in the frigid north, fresh lobster isn't readily available, but we do have access to this delicacy we call fresh water lobster....

Eelpout_zpsv8vzrsqh.jpg

Eelpout, Bubot, Lawyer and various other descriptive terms. Also known to the French as: Lota lota

We have our various ways of preparing this delicious fare, but I'm thinking, there must be a truly delightful French method also.

Boiled in red Bordeaux, known as Lota Lota au vin.
And let's not forget about monkfish, also known as poor man's lobster:

Fotolia_35897925_XS.jpg

What a difference a day makes:
200610-r-xl-crispy-monkfish-with-capers.jpg

Recipe:
http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/crispy-monkfish-capers

John, you and Chaz could get a lota lota mileage outta that.
Scott, you can put whatever you want on that.
Pascal, you can substitute boiled spinach for the asparagus if you prefer.
:tongue-new:

I'm with bluesy on this one. Worcestershire is for meat. Specifically, red meat and sauces for such.
And split pea soup.
And bagels, but only real boiled ones, not that mass-produced dreck.

Last edited:

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Pascal, you can substitute boiled spinach for the asparagus if you prefer.
Yeah I'll take the spinach.
Why you ask? Not that I don't like asparagus, but it's the olfactive discomfort I get when I pee afterwards.... since you asked.

CA-35

Reaction score
Yeah I'll take the spinach.
Why you ask? Not that I don't like asparagus, but it's the olfactive discomfort I get when I pee afterwards.... since you asked.

Yes Pascal, on that I'm with you. Wonder why that is?

I am a big fan of spinach. I use it exclusively on sandwiches instead of lettuce which has no nutritional value at all. Spinach salad, creamed spinach. spinach sauteed in olive oil and garlic, spinach quiche, and lets not forget spinach potato knishes oh my.....

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Yes Pascal, on that I'm with you. Wonder why that is?
The odor is thought to be due to an excreted metabolite called methanethiol, a sulfur-containing compound.
Only those blessed with superior olfactory mechanisms detect it.
:biggrin-new:
I take comfort from it, knowing my liver's functioning properly.

I am a big fan of spinach. I use it exclusively on sandwiches instead of lettuce which has no nutritional value at all. Spinach salad, creamed spinach. spinach sauteed in olive oil and garlic, spinach quiche, and lets not forget spinach potato knishes oh my.....

I love spinach myself but y'gotta be careful with the raw stuff: it's high in oxalic acid which'll leach calcium from your teeth.
'S why you get that chalky feeling on your tongue afterward.
Truth, no joke.
And I actually recently took to sauteing asparagus in a butter/sesame oil mix, with top on pan to trap moisture, and a dash of curry for a little extra zing.
Wanted to try something different from the plain-o steamed method.
Both ways work with mayo or a mayo/lemon juice/garlic dip.
Good on artichokes too.
Heck, might even try a dash of the worcestershire in there.
Now, what about aubergine?

Last edited:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I didn't even pull the lobster tails out of the freezer yet. . Just reading all about everybody's preferences and sauces and dips and likes and dislikes wore me out. I wasn't up for cooking. We just went out......

But when I DO grill it, I'm gonna serve it with drawn butter. That's how I eat lobster. Mayo stuff is for fish & chips and things like that.

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
Great way to enjoy the Eelpout: Kalamojakka (Finnish fish soup). Basically, Potatoes, onion, celery, water, cream, butter, allspice berries, carrots, fish chunks, spices and Finnish bread. YUM!

Sometimes known as the soup that frightens children.:fat:

Last edited: